UK Clubs closing at an alarming rate

But what about the tranche of clubbers who otherwise would have gone home on the last tube because they didn't want to have to stay out all night until the first tube of the next morning. Absolutely no idea if that's a significant number or not but from personal experience I've had plenty of times when me and friends could have happily stayed out for a couple more hours, potentially moving onto a club but knocked it on the head because we didn't want to stay out all night.

I reckon there's an untapped group of more casual clubbers or just later-night drinkers who would now be able to carry on a bit longer. I've had my cousins over from the continent and they were shocked how they couldn't get a drink past midnight in central London on the weekend (tourists of course, without the local knowledge), would a night tube help with this? Can't hurt! I'm referring really to the more casual sort, rather than dedicated clubbers who aren't as concerned by the transport difficulties. It might help swell their numbers and therefore help more venues thrive.

Good point about arriving later though hindering clubs, there's been many a time I've been hot-footing it to catch the last tube in to town when I was quite happy at someone's pre-party, stealing beers from the fridge!

I think it's a bit of a red-herring to be honest. Whilst I welcome it's arrival, I don't think we're going to see many clubbers "club-hopping". The odd few will, sure. But it'll be a drop in the ocean.

Most club nights on Saturday night looking at £20+ entrance as it is. Few will wish to pay 2 lots of admission.

It'll help getting home or to after parties, but will the clubs benefit - probably not. Actually, they may well suffer as clubbers will arrive later if they know they can rely on the tube as opposed to a cab.

While I agree it won't do much for multiple club entries, it will allow people (should they wish) to stay where they are longer, keeping more money in the night time economy.

While I agree it won't do much for multiple club entries, it will allow people (should they wish) to stay where they are longer, keeping more money in the night time economy.

Exactly, and put much more succinctly than I could.

Certainly gives people that option. I'm just not convinced how many people they are that head home at 00:30 (or just before).

If you wanna head out and hit a club, then you'll find a way regardless of how easy/difficult it is to get home.

Perhaps I rephrase it another way: do we want these "casual clubbers" hitting our London venues?! :idea:

do we want these "casual clubbers" hitting our London venues?!

Come now, come now....there is a place for everyone!

This isn't about who is in the clubs, its about whether or not there are enough venues to support an otherwise thriving scene.

With regards to the tube thing...its about f*cking time. London has needed this for a long time!

The Met police and councils are actively looking for excuses to shut some of our capital's most iconic dance venues down.

I boggle at the idea of a load of lagered-up beer boys suddenly discovering the delights of the night tube and providing the police with more ammo.

But maybe that's because they can't cite it as being a problem at the moment. But open the floodgates...

That said, I'm 100% for the night tube. It's long overdue, and ill definitely use it. More than likely several times a month.

I'm just not convinced that it'll have a (positive) impact on clubland. We'll see...

I think other than Ministry and maybe Heaven all the clubs i used to go to in London are gone...

Camden Palace
Bagleys
The Cross
Turnmills

That's as well as Gatecrasher, Godskitchen, Nation, The Opera House, The Arches....

Certainly gives people that option. I'm just not convinced how many people they are that head home at 00:30 (or just before).

If you wanna head out and hit a club, then you'll find a way regardless of how easy/difficult it is to get home.

Perhaps I rephrase it another way: do we want these "casual clubbers" hitting our London venues?! :idea:

How often do you make the last dash for the tube home? ;) It's packed on the Pic, Vic and Central lines when I've used them of a weekend evening.
I think it'll help the more commercial night. Imagine going out in Clapham and being able to go for one more? Then deciding to go to DNA or Clapham Grand because you don't have to rush home and spend £40 on a taxi?
Or being out in Islington and deciding to go to O2 Academy for Propaganda or their cheese night.

I don't think it will make a big impact to the bigger nights, but I do think it'll help the commercial arm no end. It'll certainly help the late night bars (although... aren't those things killing the club scene anyway? :lol: )

Proof of the pudding will be in the eating I suppose. I welcome it personally as it'll mean I can do as Ikoda has indicated and stay out for one more drink without clock-watching or not have to shell out for a taxi.

not have to shell out for a taxi.

The cost of taxis has always been the biggest turn-off for me anywhere to be honest. Paying for taxis home feels a bit like being raped after a great night out, and cost of going home without sharing makes cost of a casual night out sky-rocket. Late buses are just a huge vibe-killer and tortuously boring.

The market will no doubt adjust once the service beds in. Long overdue in London.

Quite shocked at this in birmingham it is buzzing at the scene.

Digbeth, you have rainbow warehouse(free entry frpm 4pm -10pm). Lab11 next door, blackbox.

Loco dice, seth troxler, eats everything, mk, hannah wants, waff, hector cueto,played recently.

Then you got local events like glas, MADE, Dave rave. Which is house/techno

I dont bother with broad st now. Usual pubs/bars i.e walkabout etc.

Save for the rave
Yeh must admit brum has some good night's, loads of decent venues like chic, rainbow, custard factory etc, massive gay scene which tbf them places are banging. Obviously ain't on par with the older brum scene of 20 years ago with clubs like bonds,steering wheel, tin tins, wobble, moneypennys,bakers etc, if your old enough to remember, which made some of the best djs around today. Brum has always been decent for a good night out, us brummie just take it for granted.

Yeh must admit brum has some good night's, loads of decent venues like chic, rainbow, custard factory etc, massive gay scene which tbf them places are banging. Obviously ain't on par with the older brum scene of 20 years ago with clubs like bonds,steering wheel, tin tins, wobble, moneypennys,bakers etc, if your old enough to remember, which made some of the best djs around today. Brum has always been decent for a good night out, us brummie just take it for granted.
Also last time I did a club in town was few years back at gatecrasher broad Street. White party with laidback luke, nicky remaro, hardwell, that sunny and Ryan duo. Only 25 a ticket, decent night to be honest. If I go out now I just do bars, leave the clubbing for ibiza.

I could have retired 10 years ago on the money I spent on taxis between 20-30 years of age in London, stumbling out of clubs. But, battered after a day or two out, I still would have plumped for a cab over the tube if it had been running. In fact, it usually was, it was Sunday afternoon earliest.

Wouldn't have made much difference to me

Last edited:
Also last time I did a club in town was few years back at gatecrasher broad Street. White party with laidback luke, nicky remaro, hardwell, that sunny and Ryan duo. Only 25 a ticket, decent night to be honest. If I go out now I just do bars, leave the clubbing for ibiza.
That was the last time I stepped foot in that place! Think it was on a boxing day night

Im too young to remember those clubs!

Dave rave got turned down for a field rave....so they turned an old church into an indoor field rave!

Im doing GLAS next week, 3 big raves.

GLAS, Portal night with Patrick Topping/Ricky Ahmed or Elrow colour festival at rainbow!

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=31071

Oh dear. Hopefully a minor delay. We've waited all these years, another few weeks & month won't hurt!

Annoyingly this time it's not the Tube Drivers, it's the rest of them. ASLEF (Represents 85% of all tube drivers) were not going to strike this week and aren't going to get involved in the Sept ones either.
It's RMT, Unite and whatever the other one is called (forgotten it's name)

Back