UK Clubs closing at an alarming rate

Gorilla and Deaf Institute Manchester gone. Awful news
It must be hard for the Manny scene anyroad as the Summer many are abroad or are saving to be abroad and then come winter WHP dominates weekend in and out so they only have significantly smaller gap compared to other cities.. those central venues / spaces soon get poached by the buisness elite who know the value in their hands is far greater

Sad really

I think we'll see a big change to the night life scene to be honest if clubs aren't allowed to open (safely but able to break even... whatever that looks like).

It must be hard for the Manny scene anyroad as the Summer many are abroad or are saving to be abroad and then come winter WHP dominates weekend in and out so they only have significantly smaller gap compared to other cities.. those central venues / spaces soon get poached by the buisness elite who know the value in their hands is far greater

Sad really

How many does WHP hold?

Such a shame - I went to Uni in Manchester in the early 90s, led there by the music scene and tales of the Hacienda. On any given night, weeknights included, propped up the student market, there were loads of clubs to choose from. I think Joshua Brooks opened in my 1st year, 1992-93, so they've done well to last this long

How many does WHP hold?

Such a shame - I went to Uni in Manchester in the early 90s, led there by the music scene and tales of the Hacienda. On any given night, weeknights included, propped up the student market, there were loads of clubs to choose from. I think Joshua Brooks opened in my 1st year, 1992-93, so they've done well to last this long

Mayfield Depot can hold up to 10,000. The roof leaks so you get dripped on from above by water that must contain all sorts of shit. At Joshua Brooks it's sweat

Mayfield Depot can hold up to 10,000. The roof leaks so you get dripped on from above by water that must contain all sorts of shit. At Joshua Brooks it's sweat
absolutely we normally only do Biceps night of the season as a chance to see them and maybe a heavier one but the last few years the line ups have been pony so haven't really, would much rather give my money to smaller institutions for more intimate event

absolutely we normally only do Biceps night of the season as a chance to see them and maybe a heavier one but the last few years the line ups have been pony so haven't really, would much rather give my money to smaller institutions for more intimate event

Aye we did Bicep @ Ava x WHP at Store Street in Dec 2018, that was a belter. Sven vath, Charlotte De Witte, Dj Koze, Peggy gou that night

Its a start
Well that's a great idea. What's left to do is to find a way to hold indoor events in a COVID-secure way :(

Masks won't work - people in a party atmosphere tend to take them off, there is no way to enforce their wearing. I also doubt it's fun to dance with a mask on, although I never tried.

Splitting the dancefloor with glass walls into small "aquariums" would run afoul of fire regulations.

Whoever invents how to do clubbing in a COVID-secure way deserves a statue of him erected in front of Amnesia and free tickets to any parties until the end of his life!

Still was when it closed :lol:

But it was one of the rare places you'd still find Hard House and Hard Techno nights in London
I loved it after the Fridge....definitely dirty (I can’t imagine how hideous it would look in actual light...??) but I only went for the music...fantastic Hard House in its day. Never went after the Fridge closed its doors for good though.

I loved it after the Fridge....definitely dirty (I can’t imagine how hideous it would look in actual light...??) but I only went for the music...fantastic Hard House in its day. Never went after the Fridge closed its doors for good though.

And to be fair The Fridge was dirty enough - I went home with a Kiwi girl from Turnmills one Friday night and having stayed the Saturday was convinced to go to a 'house' night at the Fridge. Turned out to be Hard House, rammed with Aussies and Kiwis competing in a drugathon (and I wasn't easily shocked by such things!).

Not sure why things never worked out with her :lol:

The End usually started with friday night drinks after work, usually at some pub in Farringdon or Holborn - the 'cooler' people would have to find a discreet way to escape from their naff workmates (into timberlake or whatever in leicester sq) - it was like some masonic gathering where with a nod and a wink you worked out who was on your 'wavelength' - then eventually you'd all bundle into the club where the energy really hit you. it had issues, there were never enough places to sit down, people could get a bit territorial+ not necessarily the friendliest - slightly moody without being aggressive. it was different to fabric, way smaller, less touristy, loads of arty girls at Goldsmiths and St Martins and stuff. But people got on with their own thing I found and when the music hit the spot, it was amazing. I preferred AKA to dance in, it felt less intense, nicer lighting - more a club bar than the dungeon downstairs. I don't think London ever really replaced it tbh.

My memories of The End are generally standing here.

Attachments

• DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
Back