Alan Parry

DefMixFlyerFinal_1LOW.jpg

DEF MIX 20TH ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND
4/5/6 MAY BANK HOLIDAY
TURNMILLS

Turnmills, 63B Clerkenwell Road, London. EC1M 5NP
Capacity: 1000 / Info: 020 7250 3409
Tube: Farringdon
Doors: Friday (10.30pm – 7.30am) / Sat & Sun (10pm – 6am)
Prices: Friday (Limited £12 in Advance / £15 Others) / Sat & Sun (Limited £15 Advance / £20 Others) / Limited Weekend Tickets £40
Advanced Tickets: www.ticketweb.co.uk / 08700 600100 or www.viewtickets.co.uk
www.turnmills.co.uk/defmixweekender
www.defmix.com

** FEATURING **
FRANKIE KNUCKLES
DAVID MORALES
SATOSHI TOMIIE
HECTOR ROMERO
DANNY RAMPLING
NORMAN JAY
TOM STEPHAN
BOBBY & STEVE
FAITH
PLUS MANY MORE GUESTS ACROSS THE WEEKEND

For 20 years, legendary New York record label Def Mix have pioneered the house scene on a worldwide level, laying the foundations as the scene first broke all those years ago. Def Mix have since blazed a musical path still emulated today, opening the doors for so many others to follow. 2007 will be a monumental year for Def Mix as they embark on a mammoth world tour to celebrate 20 years in the business, on the dancefloors of their favourite clubs throughout the globe. The tour begins in London on the first May Bank Holiday weekend at Turnmills, as the full Def Mix crew and selected guests take over Friday, Saturday & Sunday for what should be one of the most unforgettable celebrations in dance music history.

The weekend gets into full swing on Friday 4th May, as London institution The Gallery presents Def Mix: Part 1, with label legends Satoshi Tomiie and Hector Romero stepping up to the table. Their sound is perhaps better suited to the electronic cravings of The Gallery, with Satoshi and Hector getting the weekend off to a flyer. They’ll be joined at the helm by fellow US hero Tom Stephan, with heavy support from Pete Heller, Gavyn Mytchel and Ciaran McCarthey. Meanwhile T2 jumps to the underground beats of Curfew Time, which features residents King Unique and special guest Funk D’Void, playing under his deeper house pseudonym Francois Dubois. The following night sees Def Mix master David Morales take over as he keeps the house heads happy at Part 2 on Saturday 5th May. The significance of this one-off Def Mix tour is such, that the pioneering Danny Rampling is stepping out of retirement for one last night of love groove dance party classics to support and play with his dear Def Mix pals. But why stop there? The honourable Norman Jay MBE completes this unforgettable line-up, with soulful house heroes Bobby & Steve hosting T2 for the evening, plus residents Paul Trouble Anderson, Chrissy T and Funkie P. Pioneer Pro DJ meanwhile showcase all kinds of CDJ trickery in T3 courtesy of Martin Dockree, Rik Parkinson & Guests. The Def Mix takeover finally comes to a close on Sunday 6th May, when the fabulous Frankie Knuckles serenades the crowd with an epic 4 Hour Set, with main room support from Ricky Morrison and Indulge’s Tim Webster. Then over in T2, rather fittingly the Faith crew – that’s Terry Farley, Stu Patterson, Dave Jarvis and Jimmy P showcase the full house retrospective from the early days of acid house to present day electro-funk. And that my friends, is that!! Our sincerest congratulations to Judy, Frankie, David, Satoshi & Hector. Happy 20th Birthday Def Mix.

FOREWORD BY DEF MIX FOUNDER JUDY WEINSTEIN

When I listened to the edit of 2 PR’s, a Blackman and A Dominican "Do It Properly" I knew Morales was onto something bigger than running my Record Pool (For The Record). So I fired him, hired a new Pool Director and entered the management game. After a short period of time, we agreed that with my nose for business and his growing mixing/editing skills... enough said; "Def Mix Productions" was born. It was 1987.

Soon after, Frankie Knuckles returned to New York after spending considerable time in Chicago establishing what would become the "House Music" sound. I introduced him to David... Frankie discovered Satoshi Tomiie in Japan... Hector Romero, a young DJ from the Bronx opened for David at the Red Zone , Bobby D'Ambrosio, Lord G and others contributed their names and skills to what was to become the "Def Mix Sound".

Most of the innovations and the way we would conduct business were never planned. In my short remixing career with Larry Levan, I learned that I had absolutely no talent for creating music, but I sure knew a good vocal level when I heard it. By teaming the boys up with top of the line engineers John Poppo, David Sussman and Hugo Dwyer and musicians Peter Schwartz, Terry Burrus, Eric Kupper, Paul Shapiro, Peter Daou, Kelton Cooper, Bashiri Johnson, Steve Thornton and vocal maestro Danny Madden, not only would the hits follow but the guys would get a great education. I fell comfortably into the role of executive producer and manager. I recognized that the "Remix" was no longer just an extended version of the "Original", but a reproduction worthy of its own credit and compensation. For the first time a DJ/Remixer was afforded “Remix Produced By" as a credit, which then begat a "Producer Royalty"... which in some cases commanded a "Publishing Share"... which then produced a Grammy each for Knuckles and Morales.

As the business has reinvented itself where anyone can create a track in his/her bedroom, quality still abounds. Satoshi, an accomplished musician has incorporated the Def Mix sound that he co-created into a successful indy label... "Saw Recordings". Satoshi along with Hector (who I consider our cross-over DJ, because no style of "House" gets by him!), nudged Def Mix into the 21st century.

As I reflect back and contemplate the future, what I am most proud of is our longevity, loyalty and love for each other. Def Mix is more than a brand or style. Def Mix is my home.

Live long and prosper.

FULL WEEKEND LINE-UPS:

Friday 4th May
The Gallery presents… Def Mix 20th Anniversary Part 1

Main Room:
Satoshi Tomiie
Hector Romero
Tom Stephan
Pete Heller
Gavyn Mytchel
Ciaran McCarthey

T2:
Hosted by Curfew Time
King Unique
Francois Dubois
(Funk D’Void)
Ryan Milo

Saturday 5th May
Def Mix 20th Anniversary Part 2

Main Room:
David Morales
Danny Rampling
Norman Jay

T2:
Hosted by Bobby & Steve
Paul Trouble Anderson
Chrissy T
Funkie P

T3:
Hosted by Pioneer Pro DJ
Martin Dockree
Rik Parkinson & Guests

Sunday 6th May
Def Mix 20th Anniversary Part 3

Main Room:
Frankie Knuckles
(4 Hour Set)
Ricky Morrison
Tim Webster (Indulge)

T2:
Hosted by Faith
Terry Farley
Stu Patterson
Dave Jarvis
Jimmy P

DEF MIX QUOTES... FROM THEIR PEERS!!

ROGER SANCHEZ
“The Def Mix crew have been pioneers in the house scene from even before I first started out and it is great to see them still doing it now! My congratulations and much love to the Def Mix posse.”

PAUL OAKENFOLD
“Def Mix has pioneered the house scene on a worldwide level and opened the doors for many to follow. Happy Birthday to Judy, Frankie & David. The house scene wouldn’t be what it is today without you. Best wishes. Your friend - Paul Oakenfold.”

DANNY RAMPLING
“Def mix stands for consistent delivery of spectacular productions and remixes that include timeless hit classics such as... ‘Where Love Lives’... ‘Tears’... ‘Whistle Song’... ‘The Face Needing You’... ‘Dream Lover’. Morales and Knuckles have made an incredible contribution to the house scene globally through DJ sets and studio productions with that distinctive soulful vocal sound. True DJ legends/stars ... who have perfected the craft of DJing over many years entertaining millions of dance music lovers with presence and skill that continues to light up any room when mixing music. Def Mix productions have and continue to provide outstanding house music to the club scene... that has featured heavily in my DJ sets over the years. It makes me very proud to be part of the Def Mix family - David Frankie, Judy, Hector and Satoshi have been so supportive throughout the whole of my career in the music business. I am so looking forward to returning to Turnmills to play on this historical celebration and my set will feature much of the Def Mix sounds. Thank you for 20 years of the music and great club nights wishing you all much future success.”

BOB SINCLAR
“The Def Mix squad brought an amazing feeling and a lot of avant-garde things for the Dance Music scene since their creation. Artists like David Morales, Frankie Knuckles or Eric Kupper have been a big inspiration for my work. Happy Birthday to all the Team... we need 20 more years with you to let our dreams come true.”

HERNAN CATTANEO
“Frankie Knuckles was the first DJ/Producer who got me into house music and he’s remained a true master over the years. Then David Morales created some of the best remixes I ever heard and Satoshi did ‘Tears’, a timeless classic and still one of the best songs in house history. Happy Birthday to all the Def Mix crew and congratulations on the 20th mark. Thanks for the music!”

THE SHAPESHIFTERS
“Def Mix was without question the standard bearer for house music, and blazed a musical path still emulated today. It honed the finest producer stable ever to evolve in Dance music and stands for the ultimate in outstanding production. It’s been a huge influence on our own careers as well as giving us some of our best dance floor moments. Happy birthday Def Mix long may it continue, Big Love - The Shapeshifters and all at nocturnal groove.”

DAVID GUETTA
“Def Mix is a huge part of house music history and a really big part of what made me wanna do this. I still remember my arms shaking when I was playing a warm up for David Morales in 1992 in Paris. I was so nervous to play in front of him! David has been a great inspiration when I started this and Judy was really terrifying me before we became friends. It feels great that we can now laugh about it when sometime we play together. Respect for such a long career.”

FAITH
“To see the words of DEF MIX on a record label means 2 things, the first is quality, the second is a mean dub to work the arse off. Happy Birthday DEF MIX. Keep the Faith… house music all night long.”

Is all of Ealing going to Turnmills that saturday then? ;)

Who in their right mind would want to go to any other night in London that weekend than seeing Morales, Rampling and Norman Jay tear the arse out of the new main room?!

I mean, good nights come and go, and of course there are some places that may have a great vibe week in week out, though if there's any event that you can stick your life on it that you're going to walk out with the biggest grin on your face, then this one's it IMO.

We're talking David Morales Ferd. Not even you can keep this "love for crap music" affection up for so long! ;)

Who in their right mind would want to go to any other night in London that weekend than seeing Morales, Rampling and Norman Jay tear the arse out of the new main room?!

I mean, good nights come and go, and of course there are some places that may have a great vibe week in week out, though if there's any event that you can stick your life on it that you're going to walk out with the biggest grin on your face, then this one's it IMO.

We're talking David Morales Ferd. Not even you can keep this "love for crap music" affection up for so long! ;)

norman jay for me all they way. saw him nye last year at clapham grand he was wicked.

You should organise a coach.

Or you can probably get the National Express from Bristol for cheap if you book early enough?

Im there on the Saturday too.

The only good thing about the Friday is that Satoshi Tomiie is there. but looking at the rest of the line up for the main room he will be on for about an hour.,

Quite a few of us. I've been hidden away for a while as i've started a new job and wanted to keep my head down.

but then given that ealing is obviously the centre of nightlife in the UK given its quality club establishments its hardly surprising is it!

i moved here from whitechapel 4 years ago as i heard that the clubs in ealing made shoreditch look very bland and commercial.....

err or maybe it was coz i got a job in north acton!!

Back