tracks for 2019

2 types of House music Good and bad. Simple that way. if you are on the floor enjoying it's good,if it's boring you to tears it's probably tech house..?

I have a tech house CD I'll dig it out tomorrow it's around 20yrs old so be interesting to see what's on it and what was tech house back then.. it's call tech house mixed by ?????

Serious question.....what actually is tech house can anyone explain the actual differences between tech and house and give a good example of tech house vs house please......been bugging me for ages.

To me, its the instruments used in production, not necessarily a "sound" although it can have a definitive " sound" as well.

Back when house music birthed from disco, the technology back then was samplers. These samplers were playing recorded sounds of real instruments and they were repeated and altered.

During the bad recession in Detroit (early 80's??), techno was born, sounds being "manufactured", not sampled......and IMO this is "tech" The techno genre has a vast array of sounds but the most common being layers of "manufactured" percussion and manufactured bass sounds. The synths we all use today started making the worlds first techno. Now there is hardly anyone using analog instrument synths anymore, its all computer software........so really, its ALL tech when you think about it ;)

Now, there is tech house that is borderline techno..........maintaining the house format of "happy" hi hats and percussion, but with layers of percussion like techno, crunchy manufactured bass lines, more repetitive kinda sounding, the stuff most people here seem to hate on and the sound that a lot of producers are making today which has taken over the "techouse" label. Its def got a "minimal" element to it, which is also a techno trait. I'll also add an observation about this same recent techouse fad, is that a lot of the mundane techno'y sounding layered music has the ravy kind of build ups and big drops....this wasn't so much a techno trait but it seems like a fad thats common among todays big techouse producers. House music has always had the kind of format of intro, chorus, verse, chorus, break, and drop then outro, (or whatever, theres a typical format, if you listen enough you will detect it) but todays music seem to emphasize the "DROP". This to me is the afterhours sound and its darker and more layered and can be leaning more towards techno, with regards to emotions and vibe.

There is also tech house that maintains the up beat spirit of classic house, still using manufactured "sounding" hats and basses, or what ever other sounds used (again no one is using analog samplers anymore so its all manufactured for the most part) but can still have melodies, vocals, horns, all the traits of a proper classic house track, but the tech traits would be the tighter hats, more crisp and relentless bass and even techy organs and pianos, not meant to sound like the real thing, they are .....well......tech..........you get the idea.

Tech to ME, isnt just a sound, its about how the track was produced and what kind of instruments used, with an intent on genre from the producer.

Modern deep house and tech are also very intertwined.

Trance and techno also share a lot in common from an instrument sound perspective.

Techno is the reason EDM in general exists today technology wise.

The first give away to me when listening to a track is I dissect the hi hats and snares. Are they long and twany? or are they short and crisp? were they meant to sound like somone just smashed a high hat with a drum stick? or do they sound like it was "purposely"made to sound like that on a computer?

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ALL MY OPINION, TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, I LOVE MUSIC IS ALL I KNOW.

Last edited:
I have a tech house CD I'll dig it out tomorrow it's around 20yrs old so be interesting to see what's on it and what was tech house back then.. it's call tech house mixed by ?????
Sounds intriguing, I would be interested to know what's on that and who made it?? Not going to even try to guess.

The Kink feat Rachel Row tune will be tune of the summer. This year's neutron dance.

Great tune that will please veteran ravers and casuals alike

To me, its the instruments used in production, not necessarily a "sound" although it can have a definitive " sound" as well.

Back when house music birthed from disco, the technology back then was samplers. These samplers were playing recorded sounds of real instruments and they were repeated and altered.

During the depression in Detroit, techno was born, sounds being "manufactured", not sampled......and IMO this is "tech" The techno genre has a vast array of sounds but the most common being layers of "manufactured" percussion and manufactured bass sounds. The synths we all use today started making the worlds first techno. Now there is hardly anyone using analog instrument synths anymore, its all computer software........so really, its ALL tech when you think about it ;)

Now, there is tech house that is borderline techno..........maintaining the house format of "happy" hi hats and percussion, but with layers of percussion like techno, crunchy manufactured bass lines, more repetitive kinda sounding, the stuff most people here seem to hate on and the sound that a lot of producers are making today which has taken over the "techouse" label. Its def got a "minimal" element to it, which is also a techno trait.

There is also tech house that maintains the up beat spirit of house, still using manufactured hats and basses, or what ever other sounds used (again no one is using analog samplers anymore so its all manufactured for the most part) but can still have melodies, vocals, horns, all the traits of a proper classic house track, but the tech traits would be the tighter hats, more crisp and relentless bass and ..........you get the idea.

Tech to ME, isnt just a sound, its about how the track was produced and what kind of instruments used, with an intent on genre from the producer.

Modern deep house and tech are also very intertwined.

The first give away to me when listening to a track is I dissect the hi hats and snares. Are they long and twany? or are they short and crisp? were they meant to sound like somone just smashed a high hat with a drum stick? or do they sound like it was made on a computer?
Thank you. Like the way you explained that. I'm in the process of learning to use Ableton so you provided some info that's useful. I've Googled it a few times and never found any real explanation that satisfied me.

I understand there is always going to be cross-overs in genres. In your opinion what would be a quality tech house track in its purest form?

I'm sure I listen to and like some tech house but don't even realise it, but then I just like, what I like, whichever the genre.

I only heard the term tech house a few years ago..........sheltered life! ??‍♀️

Thank you. Like the way you explained that. I'm in the process of learning to use Ableton so you provided some info that's useful. I've Googled it a few times and never found any real explanation that satisfied me.

I understand there is always going to be cross-overs in genres. In your opinion what would be a quality tech house track in its purest form?

I'm sure I listen to and like some tech house but don't even realise it, but then I just like, what I like, whichever the genre.

I only heard the term tech house a few years ago..........sheltered life! ??‍♀️

Im still at work, Ill put together a list of my personal techouse track lists for you when I get home. Some of it is more on the house side, with hints of tech, some of it is on the techno side, with more dark emotions and layers of percussion, and you will be able to distinguish between my two variations of techouse.

Ive got about 150 tracks Ive made over the years (mostly very bad lol), all kinds of subgenres of house, but some of my best work I found was making happy uplifting classic house sound, with the classic house format, nice and happy hats, and groovy bass lines, with that techy sounding edge in the bass and hats. Nothing is better IMO

Last edited:
Im still at work, Ill put together a list of my personal techouse track lists for you when I get home. Some of it is more on the house side, with hints of tech, some of it is on the techno side, with more dark emotions and layers of percussion, and you will be able to distinguish between my two variations of techouse.

Ive got about 150 tracks Ive made over the years, all kinds of subgenres of house, but some of my best work I found was making classic house sound, with the format, happy hats, and groovy bass lines, with that techy sounding edge. Nothing is better IMO
Great, would be good to finally know. Thank you ?

Serious question.....what actually is tech house can anyone explain the actual differences between tech and house and give a good example of tech house vs house please......been bugging me for ages.

house = t-shirts
tech = vests
techno = no tops at all

I'm sure others will correct me but the history is more or less this:

"house music" originally meant warehouse music from Chicago - drum machines and new technology taking disco music to a new level. Jesse Saunders I think made the first house record in 1984. For an idea, check out anything on TRAX records from the 1980s. Very raw production because it was all new and people were discovering squelchy acid sounds almost by accident. Then the scene blew up. In the 90s, people from around the world started taking this machine music in all sorts of directions and a thousand genres emerged. The house diehards made or played music which stayed close to the roots - music with depth, a soulful/jazzy, occasionally vocal element rooted in the black/gay clubs, whereas the rave and later 'progressive' sound on the other hand was more inspired by European pop, techno, HI NRG, filmscores, trance, classical and other influences. Then the prog sound itself mutated into the wooshy stuff Sasha and co were playing and a slightly harder vibe which owed more to techno (techno is a whole different discussion - a parallel scene altogether in Detroit).

Around 1999/2000 The End club in London started showcasing tech music which was where house and techno met, along with breakbeats and what later became breaks (which had previously emerged as the major sound at the raves). Typical DJs included Dave Mothersole, Layo & Bushwacka, Mr C, Adam Freeland... In the early 2000s as kids got bored of the big room, fluffy bra production line house music that had dominated the 90s clubs, a new underground scene emerged which borrowed from the 80s (post-punk, new wave, acid house, electro) and blew up in Shoreditch, Berlin and NYC, a kind of back to basics rejection of superstar DJs (led by people like the hacker, miss kittin, felix da housecat, and the DFA crew) and this dovetailed with the changing scene in Ibiza which (inspired by DC10) was embracing a more 'minimal' approach to music. Villalobos and Luciano were the kings of 'minimal' maybe 10-15 years ago which eventually morphed into what is now known as tech-house. The key difference with house is that house tracks tend to have individual personalities whereas tech tracks are designed to be linear, 'bouncy', rarely varying in tempo and almost entirely devoid of emotion or drama. This is a reflection of changing music production, changing attitudes to clubbing, drug consumption and a new generation which has grown up with different influences. I have my opinions...

of course, it is all subjective. the word 'house' has become a catch-all and has been diluted to the point everyone now misuses it. But there are still people who care, admittedly fewer and fewer by the week but dig deep and ye shall reap...

(the authorities on this are brewster/broughton 'last night a dj saved my life', simon reynolds 'energy flash', matthew collin 'altered state' & dance music documentaries like 'Pump up the Volume')

house = t-shirts
tech = vests
techno = no tops at all

I'm sure others will correct me but the history is more or less this:

"house music" originally meant warehouse music from Chicago - drum machines and new technology taking disco music to a new level. Jesse Saunders I think made the first house record in 1984. For an idea, check out anything on TRAX records from the 1980s. Very raw production because it was all new and people were discovering squelchy acid sounds almost by accident. Then the scene blew up. In the 90s, people from around the world started taking this machine music in all sorts of directions and a thousand genres emerged. The house diehards made or played music which stayed close to the roots - music with depth, a soulful/jazzy, occasionally vocal element rooted in the black/gay clubs, whereas the rave and later 'progressive' sound on the other hand was more inspired by European pop, techno, HI NRG, filmscores, trance, classical and other influences. Then the prog sound itself mutated into the wooshy stuff Sasha and co were playing and a slightly harder vibe which owed more to techno (techno is a whole different discussion - a parallel scene altogether in Detroit).

Around 1999/2000 The End club in London started showcasing tech music which was where house and techno met, along with breakbeats and what later became breaks (which had previously emerged as the major sound at the raves). Typical DJs included Dave Mothersole, Layo & Bushwacka, Mr C, Adam Freeland... In the early 2000s as kids got bored of the big room, fluffy bra production line house music that had dominated the 90s clubs, a new underground scene emerged which borrowed from the 80s (post-punk, new wave, acid house, electro) and blew up in Shoreditch, Berlin and NYC, a kind of back to basics rejection of superstar DJs (led by people like the hacker, miss kittin, felix da housecat, and the DFA crew) and this dovetailed with the changing scene in Ibiza which (inspired by DC10) was embracing a more 'minimal' approach to music. Villalobos and Luciano were the kings of 'minimal' maybe 10-15 years ago which eventually morphed into what is now known as tech-house. The key difference with house is that house tracks tend to have individual personalities whereas tech tracks are designed to be linear, 'bouncy', rarely varying in tempo and almost entirely devoid of emotion or drama. This is a reflection of changing music production, changing attitudes to clubbing, drug consumption and a new generation which has grown up with different influences. I have my opinions...

of course, it is all subjective. the word 'house' has become a catch-all and has been diluted to the point everyone now misuses it. But there are still people who care, admittedly fewer and fewer by the week but dig deep and ye shall reap...

(the authorities on this are brewster/broughton 'last night a dj saved my life', simon reynolds 'energy flash', matthew collin 'altered state' & dance music documentaries like 'Pump up the Volume')
Thanks Kim Wrong Un. House is what I mostly know about. But I have a wide taste in music, if its good, its good, I dont really think about the genre in most cases.
All opinions, history & info regarding music is always interesting to me, despite if I prefer it or not.

My biggest issue when out is with no variation. I get extremely bored, that goes for house as well. Obviously getting old and grumpy.

the thing is I never used to think about any of this stuff, you just turned up the party not even thinking about genrezzzz but because it was a laugh with your pals but you are forced to these days because the industry puts everything and everyone into boxes - and now there are so many shysters and charlatans cashing in and serving up inferior parties that it all requires extra work sorting wheat from chaff. that is the main reason people like me have been forced to get so militant about it...

the thing is I never used to think about any of this stuff, you just turned up the party not even thinking about genrezzzz but because it was a laugh with your pals but you are forced to these days because the industry puts everything and everyone into boxes - and now there are so many shysters and charlatans cashing in and serving up inferior parties that it all requires extra work sorting wheat from chaff. that is the main reason people like me have been forced to get so militant about it...
Exactly, makes for alot of uninspiring nights musically, the only hope is the atmosphere and people at the event.

Finally if it's good it's good...?. You will see me on the dance floor 4 Oct at destino Dancing to what ever sollynoddle is playing be it nu Disco or old trance rehashed bangers, New Jackson * Live * ?. and whoever the special quest might be...?. It will be easy to spot me I'll be the guy sweating like a traveler at a spelling bee...

Back