Tracks for 2011...

apart from the fact there is no disco or house in that track, your description is spot on

Not disco?

I hasten to remind you the sample is from none other Sister Sledge - You fooled around...

Pretty sure that's disco by anyone's imagination...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not disco?

I hasten to remind you the sample is from none other Sister Sledge - You fooled around...

Pretty sure that's disco by anyone's imagination...

actually no

a derivative sound with a watered down sample does not make a disco record. it's basically just mass production commercial dance music for people who don't have a clue - no dj I know would touch that cliched piece of sh1t

actually no

a derivative sound with a watered down sample does not make a disco record. it's basically just mass production commercial dance music for people who don't have a clue - no dj I know would touch that cliched piece of sh1t

Subjective viewpoints and musical nazi-ism aside you're original bone of contention was that said record had no element of disco in it.

apart from the fact there is no disco or house in that track, your description is spot on

The defence has proved it does (watered down/tired/cliched etc aside)

The defence rests. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

nazism how? for speaking the truth

name ONE credible DJ (especially on the disco circuit) who would play that?

you're making a debate out of nothing

there's no contradiction in any of what I wrote

it is not a disco record and just because it is loosely based on an old tune, big deal - the disco-ness of the original has been killed off

it's generic toss which will be forgotten by the time this thread moves on the next page

:rolleyes:

yeh it is, it's got vocals. it's that disco house. that always used to be called funky house (that was never particularly funky) until defected re-branded it to make it a bit cooler for the late-bar crowd.

:rolleyes:

yeh it is, it's got vocals. it's that disco house. that always used to be called funky house (that was never particularly funky) until defected re-branded it to make it a bit cooler for the late-bar crowd.

not too sure why you deployed those rolled eyes :?:

I know a lot of DJs in East London who cut their teeth playing disco and house records, and it is years since any of them would touch anything off Defected. That isn't snobbery, it's just a reflection of the diminishing quality control on that label. It's kinda sad because Bob Sinclar, Sandy Rivera and Gregory made some of my fave house records of all time. The last decent record on Defected was probably the danny krivit version of strings of life. Someone above mentioned chus & penn - I loved Esperanza - I thought that was a proper peak time classic, but really those guys were one-hit wonders

you're right about "funky house" being a total oxymoron - but that point probably has been laboured to death

anyway this thread is starting to go in circles. let's get back to the records :arrow:

not too sure why you deployed those rolled eyes :?:

I know a lot of DJs in East London who cut their teeth playing disco and house records, and it is years since any of them would touch anything off Defected. That isn't snobbery, it's just a reflection of the diminishing quality control on that label. It's kinda sad because Bob Sinclar, Sandy Rivera and Gregory made some of my fave house records of all time. The last decent record on Defected was probably the danny krivit version of strings of life. Someone above mentioned chus & penn - I loved Esperanza - I thought that was a proper peak time classic, but really those guys were one-hit wonders

you're right about "funky house" being a total oxymoron - but that point probably has been laboured to death

anyway this thread is starting to go in circles. let's get back to the records :arrow:

i couldn't find the sarcastic roll eyes to deploy..

i agree with you entirely and get fed up with people telling me they're into disco.

on with the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg3wWcCkIXQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Gill Scott Heron/ Jamie xx - I'll Take Care Of U 8)

Can imagine this being cained at the sunsets this year. Listened to the rest of the album a couple of times, but nothing else sticks out so far like that track.

Back