Top 10 tracks that have made u who ur.....

Apart from if there was a song playing 22 years or so ago that made my mum n dad get jiggy, I have no idea.

ooof discoplayer - don't set me off with threads like this :D

if I have to select the most influential tunes - then these 10 would probably feature near the top

The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby - the beatles were and remain and will always be the greatest songwriters of them all. As a child, I practised this over and over on the piano. So simple yet so poetic. McCartney can be a dick but I'll always forgive him for tunes like this.

Sueno Latino - Sueno Latino - which I actually prefer to Manuel Gottshieng's E2-E4 :oops: possibly the perfect E record, a tune of outstanding esoteric, sunkissed, serotonin-depleting beauty - the Derrick May mix is jawdropping astonishing. Take a bow, Mr May

America - A Horse With No Name - another balearic masterpiece, big chill anthem and a real singalong solidarity moment with your mates on the beach, possibly my fave acoustic guitar ever.

Mr Fingers - Can you feel it (incl jack had a groove) - the greatest HOUSE record of them all. Fact. (although the Nightwriters, Frankie Knuckles and Lil Louis might have something to say there) Just hearing that opening chord is still the most spine-tingling experience; with the additional political speech thrown in, house music suddenly becomes a clarion call for UNITY and the ultimate middle finger raised at the reactionary establishment. + more importantly, sounds great off your knackers

DJ Gregory - elle - if Mr Fingers was the greatest classic house record, then Elle is the greatest modern house record, an epic swirling, melancholic set closing 11 minutes of delirium. Big AKA tune in 2004. I fell in love with a psycho-bitch to this tune; always induces extreme emotions.

grace jones - libertango (I've seen that face before) - for me this oozes sleaze, decadence and overweight Americans trying their chances with nubile French nymph bombshells in epic Polanski thrillers. a masterpiece. Grace Jones = criminally underrated

madness - embarrassment - As a born and bred Londoner, Madness were the most patriotically London band since the Kinks and the Clash. Aside from all the comedy capers, this was one of their most emotional records, which tragically, will always be overshadowed by their more famous releases.

Aztec Mystics - knights of the jaguar - in this, Rolando made THE ultimate Detroit record (later reworked brilliantly by a hundred birds) although it's hard to pick a winner out of this, hi tech jazz, strings of life and anything touched by the hand of Atkins, Craig, Saunderson et al. Detroit techno at its most exquisite, awesome production underpinned by a deep understanding of soul which differentiates true techno from the bastard offspring elsewhere in the world.

stevie wonder - another star - anyone who's ever seen Joe Clausell EQ the fck out of this tune will know the deal. It's soul, it's disco, it's jazz, it's funk, it's a peaktime PARTY record which hasn't aged at all and is further proof of his incredible genius

harry thurman - underwater - this record represents everything big and gay and brash and face melting in an underground disco set. Sheer orchestral drama which works brilliantly on the floor every time. Records like this and basically the entire Giorgio Moroder and Patrick Cowley back catalogue made house music possible and are still stealing the shows at parties like disco bloodbath. Immense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
Dont leave me this Way

Gini Soccio
Dancer

Stevie Wonder
So many i could choose, but will go Another Star

Diana Ross
Theme from Mahogony

Undertones
Teenage Kicks

Buzzcocks
Ever Fall in Love

Rod Stewert
1st Cut is the Deepest (know its not his tune)

Massive Attack
Unfinished Symphony

Steely Dan
Peg

Funkadelic
Either 1 Nation Under A Groove,
or Who says Funk Band Can't Play Rock

That was much easier than i thought, wasn't gonna reply initially! Would have mentioned Idris Mohammid, but cant remember the track name!

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
Dont leave me this Way

Gini Soccio
Dancer

Stevie Wonder
So many i could choose, but will go Another Star

Diana Ross
Theme from Mahogony

Undertones
Teenage Kicks

Buzzcocks
Ever Fall in Love

Rod Stewert
1st Cut is the Deepest (know its not his tune)

Massive Attack
Unfinished Symphony

Steely Dan
Peg

Funkadelic
Either 1 Nation Under A Groove,
or Who says Funk Band Can't Play Rock

That was much easier than i thought, wasn't gonna reply initially! Would have mentioned Idris Mohammid, but cant remember the track name!

'could heaven ever be like this' - agreed, amazing tune - the house reworking by Harlem Zipcode 'i feel music' (paper recordings) ain't bad either

Last edited by a moderator:
great picks olly.

sueño latino, jaguar, elle, etc are amongst my favs

stevie wonder is just legend.

libertango i always loved anyway, was ricardo's last tune at cocoon closing this year

touche.... but was gonna post when i could narrow it down to just 10tracks....!:lol:
i will be back......:twisted:

just name ANY ten tracks

smelly crusty - I am a shamanic love god in samsara (flying rhino)

etc etc

it's not hard, beano. A child of 4 can play this game :lol:

LMFAO!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i was gonna start with somthing like: led zeppelin - the rain song
(but thats kinda crusty hippy old skool too huh??):lol::lol::lol::lol:

LMFAO!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i was gonna start with somthing like: led zeppelin - the rain song
(but thats kinda crusty hippy old skool too huh??):lol::lol::lol::lol:

was that the griffin tune? ;)

my top 10 today is BALEARIC classics

carly simon - why
it's immaterial - driving away from home
st etienne - only love can break your heart (weatherall mix)
william pitt - city lights
innocence - natural thing
grid - floatation
electribe 101 - talking with myself
tulio psicopico - stop bajon! (la primavera)
chris rea - josephine
blow monkeys - la passionara

all deeply EMOTIONAL music for me

carly simon - why
grid - floatation
chris rea - josephine

Carly Simon - why - nuff said Olly - perfect

I always remember the first dance song i liked was The Shamen - Ebeneezer Good...........
I remember my parents telling me it was a load of rubbish! I obviously didnt have a clue what it symbolised at the time! (i was only about 12)

I went into a strange Hardcore phase in my early teens before i heard ATB - 9PM on Seb Fontaines Prototype 1 Cd. Signum - What Ya Got For Me and Moonman - Moonman blew me away in the 'early days'
Pretty much from there on dance music was my life! And my first trip to Ibiza in 2001 brought House music into my life, and it has remained ever since.

The Space Album 2001, namely X-Press 2 - Muzikizm and Mutiny - Secrets did it for me!!
Since then there are too many to list. at least a couple for every year!

Certainly up there as most memorable that made me obsessed with ibiza were Cassius - The Sound of Violence and Ministers De Funk - Believe.

carly simon - why
grid - floatation
chris rea - josephine

The majority of these are my top tunes, Chris Rea - Josephine (La Version Francais) my favourite tune ever.

Also,

BBG - Snappiness

Moodswings - Spititual High

Tullio De Piscopo - Stop Bajon

Art of Noise - Moment in love

Bocca Juniors - Raise

Electra - Jibaro

The Aloof - Never Get Out The Boat

Hoomba Hoomba - Voices Of Africa

Bruce Hornsby & The Range - The way it is

PM Dawn - Set Adrift On Memory Bliss

Kate Bush - Running up the hill