the world's most hated travellers

I

icebaer69

"...
The world's most hated travellers

Frankly, I thought it would be ze Germans. Or possibly the English,
considering the two nations spend so much time sniping at each other's travellers.

But, according to a survey recently released by Expedia,
the world's least liked travellers are the French, Chinese and Indians.

Not only that, but the Brits and Germans tied for second place as the world's most popular (something that will probably still gall them, considering there's no clear winner to add to the "two world wars and one world cup").

So while you might have thought the Germans' penchant for leaving their towels on sunbeds, and the Poms' love of roaming around in drunken, football-shirted groups, was kind of annoying, it's apparently overshadowed by their lovely manners, smart dress sense, and willingness to learn the local language.

Er... what?

Of course, you have to take surveys like these with a grain of salt. (Australians were the sixth most liked, if you were wondering - let down by our bad dress sense and poor linguistic skills.)

Another recent poll found Russians were the least liked tourists, to the point where some other travellers have been known to request "Russian-free tours" - although I've never had any problems with them. Actually, I can barely remember bumping into any.

And this is all based on stereotypes, which are sometimes there for a good reason, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

Germans, I've found, are traditionally the nationality people cringe at when they find themselves sharing a dorm. Maybe it's a hangover from the wars, or the fact the Poms still can't stand them and their sunbed-stealing ways (although if you're staying anywhere with sunbeds, you deserve what you get).

I've always found Germans, particularly the younger ones, to be pretty friendly
and easy to get along with. And not a sock-and-sandal combo to be seen.

Same goes with English, really.
Although they're supposed to be the drunken Ibiza-loving yobs the Germans
are so keen to avoid, most that I've met have been brilliant travel companions.
But then again, I've never been to Ibiza. Or Tenerife. Or Mallorca. Or...

Israelis always seem to get a bad rap too. Maybe it's because they tend to stick together, although Australians are hardly any different in that respect. But the hatred of Israeli travellers can be surprisingly vicious - I met an English guy in La Paz who ran a bar and refused point-blank to even let Israelis in. (I didn't bother going back either.)

South Africans seem to be similarly maligned. But I've met two kinds of South African traveller: one is sweet, kind, super-generous, and a blast to hang out with. The other is arrogant, loud, and, yeah, a bit racist.

I wish they could all be the first kind. But they're not.

And of course, you can't leave out the Americans, who everyone loves to hate.
Like I've said in this blog before, at home, the Seppos are fantastic people,
friendly as you like.

But in my experience, the stereotype of the travelling Yank has some basis in fact. Hear a loud voice in your hostel, particularly one whinging about things not being like they are at home, and there's a better than even chance it belongs to one of our northern cousins.

Some of them are great.
But there are a lot of dopes with American passports out there.

So who are the most liked travellers?

Well, the Expedia survey came up with the Japanese - possibly because the survery respondants were hotel managers, and I can't see Japanese tourists causing much trouble for them.

I've got nothing against the Japanese, but if I was to select the people I'd like to be sharing my dorm with, they probably wouldn't be on it.

The Dutch would be, for sure. And throw in a Scot or two for good measure. Canadians are always good fun, and most South Americans are a blast to hang out with. Hell, I'll even take a couple of Kiwis.

The Germans and Brits, on the other hand, can share a dorm of their own.
Just for entertainment value, mind. :lol:
..."
(smh.com.au)

:lol:

Cead Mile Failte Eire :D

Lonely Planet lists Ireland as the friendliest country in the world

by Neil Woodburn Oct 19th 2007 @ 12:31PM
Sometimes you go to a place for its beauty or famous tourist sites. Other times, you simply go for the people.

That's partially how I ended up in Ireland to work after college. In my humble opinion, the Irish are some of the nicest people on this planet. And now, there is documented evidence to support this.

Lonely Planet's remarkable Bluelist now boasts that Ireland is indeed the friendliest, most welcoming country in the world.

While this is no surprise for me, I'd never be able to guess the other countries mentioned in the top ten list. And in fact, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that backpackers and travelers voted the USA in at second; this is great news considering the bashing we've been receiving abroad in the last few years.

In case you are looking for a holiday destination where the people themselves will put a smile on your face you may want to check out the other countries which also made the list; Malawi, Vietnam, Thailand, Fiji, Indonesia, Samoa, and Scotland

http://www.gadling.com/2007/10/19/lonely-planet-lists-ireland-as-the-friendliest-country-in-the-wo/

Rogues3.JPG

I'm actually stunned the English arent the most hated in the world! We seem to be at everything, (football, eurovision... whatever)

I've only really been with family before and havent had much 1st hand experience of bad people, so I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks when I return

Not surprised Ireland are supposedly one of the friendliest however, love them!

And as for not being able to seperate the English and the Crouts, looks like they're gona have 1 Euro over us after tonights result :(

best travel buddies for me would be
1) Pissup = Irish, Welsh, Jocks, Ausies Kiwis
2) Party = Brasilian, Trinidadians
3) Laugh = Americans
4) Chance of a shag = Cubans, Venezuelans, Sweedes
5) Sports = Aussies and Kiwis
6) Chance of a fight = English

best travel buddies for me would be
1) Pissup = Irish, Welsh, Jocks, Ausies Kiwis
2) Party = Brasilian, Trinidadians
3) Laugh = Americans
4) Chance of a shag = Cubans, Venezuelans, Sweedes
5) Sports = Aussies and Kiwis

:lol: where was your chance of the shag?? Miss World Comp?? :lol:

1) Pissup = Irish & Scots
2) Party = Dutch & Brasilians
3) Laugh = Irish & the scouse
4) Chance of a shag = any asian/chinese/thai
5) Sports = can't say thats needed on holiday

I can see why the french made the wrong end of the list from personal experience.

what ?
italians ?!?
:lol:

"...
Italy Top Poll

A recent survey into the nationality which the Spanish most liked
was topped by Italy with 36 per cent of the vote.

Surprisingly, the French came second with 27 per cent -
a significant increase from last year's figures,
with the Portuguese in third with 21 per cent,
the Germans in fourth with 18 per cent,
and the Brits in fifth with just 13 per cent of the vote.
..."
(ibiza-sun)

"...
Israelis always seem to get a bad rap too. Maybe it's because they tend to stick together, although Australians are hardly any different in that respect. But the hatred of Israeli travellers can be surprisingly vicious - I met an English guy in La Paz who ran a bar and refused point-blank to even let Israelis in. (I didn't bother going back either.)

aussie's & israeli's rock!!! :twisted:

the yanks are THE WORST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD TO TRAVEL WITH.....
that is all.......

aussie's & israeli's rock!!! :twisted:

the yanks are THE WORST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD TO TRAVEL WITH.....
that is all.......

I can see this descending into xenophobia very quickly!

However are the Israeli blokes, straight out of national service, nasty & aggressive gents looking to get wasted (well some of them)?

Eskimos are the worst in my experience. Constant moaning,

"It's too hot, it's too hot.."

"There's no whale blubber on the menu"

"Can't find any holes to fish from"

"Me caravan has melted"

"Someone's nicked me shoes to play tennis with"

Honestly, it was the longest two weeks of my life.

Back