the world´s best clubs ...

Only problem with Berlin is the clubs are notoriously hard to get into for tourists.

In Ibiza you can just walk straight through- at any time of the night and in any state, without questioning.

But that's a great thing! Loving the mixture of skinhead pervs in rubber mixing with girly girls and trendy wendys. 8)

i lived in space during 2001.....it was funkin amazing. space terrace on sundays was just the most fun clubbing you could have. best atmosphere ever.

space is roughly 99% nothing like what it was when it was the old terrace. sorry to bleat, but it'd be like saying nothing about how good john barnes was just because he doesn't play anymore.

Yup - have to agree...I've never experienced an atmosphere as positive and happy as Space in the late 90s/early naughties and don't think I will again in my lifetime.

Sad really - but feel nice to have been there I guess.

...and DC-10 when it opened (pre mixmag promotion which brought in the post-space scrum) was also great for different reasons. You got a really great crusty contingent in there and it was nice 'n rough round the edges. It didn't really have a clear identity (was it a bar or a club?) and definitely didn't know its own success.

(anyone remember the plane samples they used to play with the "DC-10" sample over the top? :p)

Berlin is great too - it'll always be one of my fave destinations but the music isn't quite as varied (unless you know when to go) and there's no beach, sun, or island 'everyone's on holiday' atmos.

... Berlin is great too -
it'll always be one of my fave destinations ...
... but ... there's no beach, sun ...

berlin is not ibiza, but it is one of the cities with the most waters and greens ...
f.e. the famous "strandbad wannsee" (= beachbath wannlake :) )
http://www.strandbadwannsee.de/
... with over 100 years of history:

2ewk5ro.jpg

polls about the best clubs, best VIP settees, best cocktail shakers, most hyper-active-addled trance monkey.... invariably lack imagination

the facts are - there's very few clubs that stand out today. Spending millions refurbishing some space to make it look intergalactic does not define a decent club. Hiring some fat 50 year old who has seen better days does not define a decent club. Having massive oppressive billboards opposite airport terminals does not define a decent club.

It's a very subjective thing - who you're with, the tunes, the general mood, the smell, the location, the comic anecdotes, the sense of escapism, novelty and uniqueness above all - it's about a particular time in your life. Trying to quantify that indescribable personal feeling in some league table is crass and ultimately pointless to anyone with half a brain.

The company is the most important.

You could have the best DJ in the world play tunes but if you are surrounded by jockstraps then you won't enjoy it.

It's a very subjective thing - who you're with, the tunes, the general mood, the smell, the location, the comic anecdotes, the sense of escapism, novelty and uniqueness above all - it's about a particular time in your life. Trying to quantify that indescribable personal feeling in some league table is crass and ultimately pointless to anyone with half a brain.

Perhaps a chart has a use though, to enlighten some people to clubs they had never heard of?

I was at The Arches (Glasgow) on Friday night and had forgotten how good it can be. Great line-up (though sadly Miss Kittin & Pier Bucci clashed), fantastic light show in the back arch (or maybe the plant food had me tripping) and awesome atmosphere (none of the posey attitude you come across in Ibiza sometimes). Wasn't overly rammed either (as I've seen it on some occasions), so could easily find a seat when it was time to chill.

Need to go more often now...

I was at The Arches (Glasgow) on Friday night and had forgotten how good it can be. Great line-up (though sadly Miss Kittin & Pier Bucci clashed), fantastic light show in the back arch (or maybe the plant food had me tripping) and awesome atmosphere (none of the posey attitude you come across in Ibiza sometimes). Wasn't overly rammed either (as I've seen it on some occasions), so could easily find a seat when it was time to chill.

Need to go more often now...

I was there too it was a really good night- Matthias Tamzann and Damian Lazarus were excellent- never bothered with Dubfire but I heard he was good.

Next month with Johnny D, Felix, Smagghe and Joris Voorn will be awesome I think!

:lol: @ plant food :twisted:

Aye, Matthias Tamzann was great. Had never heard of him before and don't think he was billed. He played twice - were Slam ill??

man, havn't been in the arches for god knows how long now. nothin ever that exciting to me there any more.

much prefer the subbie although sunday circus is probably the coolest thing going on in glasgow these days!

man, havn't been in the arches for god knows how long now. nothin ever that exciting to me there any more.

much prefer the subbie although sunday circus is probably the coolest thing going on in glasgow these days!

I like the atmosphere of Sub Club, but the male/female ratio is a bit crappy, plus I prefer a club with room to wander.

Have heard vaguely of Sunday Circus before and remember it sounding interesting. Where's it held & how often?

im not fussed about the male/female ratio of the subbie but i know what you mean.

Sunday Circus is in the courtyard (west nile st) once a month, on a sunday funnily enough. Good bit of afternoon clubbing. Difficult to get tickets for as it sells out in minutes.

next one is on the 24th May but it will be held at SWG3 with Argy +others (cant remember who off hand).

Yippee, you scored some points on the internet today. You actually bothered to waste your lunch break trawling through the archive of a random forum to seek out some random long-forgotten thread in order to score a point against a random stranger who doesn't really give a fat phuck about random discussion in question, in any case. Congratulations. Gus and the boys will be proud ;)

Yippee, you scored some points on the internet today. You actually bothered to waste your lunch break trawling through the archive of a random forum to seek out some random long-forgotten thread in order to score a point against a random stranger

Nah, just used the search function. It only takes about 3 minutes, in, out, sorted, wallop. :lol::lol::lol:

how is this voted for?? reader poll or by 'industry' types??

I'm assuming it'll have been done the same way as they usually do it. A poll from various DJ types.

http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=34945

To clarify:

I was one of the 600, and the question was merely "Please pick your choice of 3 for the World's Best Club".
No criteria was given, so I guess it could have been based on dj experiences, punter or both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back