The Euros 2012

Fronty

Thought I'd start a thread on this... Racism etc aside who do you want to win and who do you think will win ?

Like to win - Ireland
Think will win - France

Thought I'd start a thread on this... Racism etc aside who do you want to win and who do you think will win ?

Like to win - Ireland
Think will win - France

Like to Win - Republic Of Ireland
Think will Win - Spain

Ps I think you mean national pride rather than Racism?

Les Bleu's firepower power is impressive, and I expect them to win the group comfortably. But they are suspect at the back, and I think they will come undone against more sophisticated attacking opposition. Spain, Germany or the Dutch will have a field day imho.

As to who I'd like to see win, unconventionally I am plumping for the Germans.

I think they deserve recognition for the reforms to their domestic product, and exemplory youth system, not to mention efficient style of play. They have succeeded where England have bitterly failed.

Like to Win - Republic Of Ireland
Think will Win - Spain

Ps I think you mean national pride rather than Racism?

I meant the Racism from the Panorama show and people being scared to travel etc im all for National Pride - Except England have nothing to be proud about :-(

Like to win: Netherlands

Likely to win: Germany

I think the winner of the German and Dutch group will have a leg up in my opinion.

Like to win - anyone but England
Likely to win - France

sorry but thats how us Scots role 8)

Like to win: Croatia

Likely to win: Spain

Could go a number of different of ways for the winner. Spain, Holland, Germany and France could all be in the mix.

As nice as it would be for England to win I realistically don't see it happening. Even the media has been less built up for this tournament so there does seem to be less expectation which could work in our favour, however the quality in the teams mentioned above and the teams in our group will be hard to get past.

Racism etc aside who do you want to win and who do you think will win ?
I think this is all a bit overblown.

Yes, there is racism among football hooligans in Ukraine, just as in Russia.

But I don't fancy my chances around a bunch of Italian Ultras any more than these guys. However, if the Euros were in Italy, I doubt you'd hear a word about it in the UK press.

But the UK press traffics in hyperbole. I'll never forgive the crap they wrote before the 2008 Champions League final in Moscow... but, in the end, everyone I know who visited had a grand old time.

I've been to Ukraine about 6 or 7 times and I only had one small incident where some very drunk nationalist yelled the name of his party at me (of course, I immediately went and hopped in a taxi). But, as they do in Russia, there will be bus loads of police around to keep order. I don't anticipate problems... if any of your lot actually bother to go!

Like to win: Not bothered at all as long as I am entertained.

Likely to win: Spain

The best argument I can come up with for England winning this tournament is that Hodgson has England playing defensively and Greece won Euro 2004 playing the most defensive football I've ever seen. Therefore, stranger things have happened.

But other than that, they really don't have a prayer. In fairness, Hodgson has had nowhere near enough time to make England into a team, but they look as far away from being a team as they have been for decades. And this whole Rio Ferdinand business is the usual media ****storm that gets the entire nation on the back foot before the thing has even started. It's doomed to failure.

And the only thing that might just get them through the group by the skin of their teeth is the fact that the Ukraine squad has been laid low with a stomach bug all week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait for the Euro 2012 to start. The Poland vs Greece match won't set the world on fire but it leads to Saturdays matches which should doom Denmark and Portugal.

Like to win- England of course!
Likely to win- Germans

I think this is all a bit overblown.

Yes, there is racism among football hooligans in Ukraine, just as in Russia.

But the UK press traffics in hyperbole. I'll never forgive the crap they wrote before the 2008 Champions League final in Moscow... but, in the end, everyone I know who visited had a grand old time.
The press do the same thing before virtually every game, if it's not racism then it's the police training and tactics England fans have to look forward to. However in Moscow, we as England fans were attacked from early morning to late evening for the qualifier Morbyd.

Like to win Spain.

Likely to win Germany.

Can't f***ing wait. Finished work today and getting (very) early flight to Gdansk first thing tomorrow.

Staying in the seaside resort of Sopot which is like the Polish Riviera type thing.. well sort of :lol:. Just found out Ireland are staying very near us as is Germany. Unfortunately Spain is staying further out.

Looking forwad to seeing the opening game with the polish locals, hopefully they'll win. Tournament needs the hosts nation to get to a winning start.

I seem to jinx Spain, every time I see them live recently they lose 1-0. Praying that doesnt happem on sunday. Silva and Iniesta are on cracking for, we just need a striker to put the ball in the net :confused:

I will report on any trouble / racism.. but I got a feeling the locals will be making an even greater effort to welcome visitors just to prove the BBC wrong. I'm not worried in the slightest about going over.

Back