The end of the West End?

McRackin

Super Moderator
The local TV channel TEF just premiered The end of the West End with interviews to the major, a neighbour, a shop owner, two bar owners and even an investor, probably the most revealing of them all. They all agree that model is dated and dead. If anybody in Ibiza wants to see it, they'll repeat in one hour, at 10:30pm.

IMG-20201012-211224-copia.jpg

The local TV channel TEF just premiered The end of the West End with interviews to the major, a neighbour, a shop owner, two bar owners and even an investor, probably the most revealing of them all. They all agree that model is dated and dead. If anybody in Ibiza wants to see it, they'll repeat in one hour, at 10:30pm.

cant access live feed on site :mad:

Saw an article the other day that Thailand may use this current drop in tourism to reinvent itself and move away from backpackers. So not too disimilar to San An in wanting away from the noise and move to something more upmarket.

But the big question for me is are there enough 'upmarket' tourists to fill all these hotels in all these resorts that all want to move in the same direction? Particuarly at a time when a few 'upmarket' tourists may be feeling the financial pinch too.

Im still not convinced the wealthy will leave their usual summer places like Puerto Banus, Cannes, Tuscany and even Ibiza countryside villas to come stay at Picis Park, no matter how much gold cladding they add.

by the way, the song at the beginning of the program is "the end" by the doors.......................................

just been watching it

the interview with that old lady on the street stood out - not necessarily all the answers you would expect

loosely translated

Q "How long have you lived here?"
A "I've lived here 70 years. We used to get dukes and bullfighters come over here...."

Q "but it all changed in the 90s?"
A "yes, since then I've seen some terrible things.. We never had all this before"
Q "Like what? What was the worst thing you saw?"
A "Women being harassed. Fights. Someone getting killed. I can still remember the screams"
Q "So I guess you support all the proposed changes to 'el West'?"
A "No!!"

Q "Why ever not?"
A "Because it's too late now. They should've done all this before! It could be disastrous for people working here"

"It could be disastrous for people working here"
"they destroyed many things, many families that worked here, that work here" [minute 18:45]. she talks in past tense, refering i suppose to the fact that most business in the area couldn't open this summer (which is mixing things up a little bit as it was the balearic government's fault, not the mayor). then she complains about the fact the day after the interview was filmed a new lockdown started just in that area, while the people in the surrounding streets could do whatever they wanted (again, the balearic government's fault).

she's right though: it should've been done long before this nightmare started.

who was the guy interviewed just before her? He seemed very optimistic that the whole area could transform to something more 'respectable'

Unfortunately my Spanish is not good enough to understand the video but get the vibe from the article. Maybe this is the opportunity for change, guess it depends if there is enough energy from all parties to make it happen.

I agree with the comment that San An and the bay has lots to offer tourists. Hopefully the jewel in Ibiza's crown one day

Both the Balearic Government and the island Consull need to come up with a serious and intelligent plan because I can't see the local business owners forking out serious money to change both their business models and/or their premises for something that might be subject to arbitary decisions from the consulls or maybe not even work. Would you spend 10k or more on your business if your hours were limited and restrictions imposed even when the covid thing is no longer such an issue? The social problems in the area also need tackling. What's the point of improving the facade when there's dealers, looky men, prossies, pickpockets and other assorted scumbaggery on every corner?

Both the Balearic Government and the island Consull need to come up with a serious and intelligent plan because I can't see the local business owners forking out serious money to change both their business models and/or their premises for something that might be subject to arbitary decisions from the consulls or maybe not even work. Would you spend 10k or more on your business if your hours were limited and restrictions imposed even when the covid thing is no longer such an issue? The social problems in the area also need tackling. What's the point of improving the facade when there's dealers, looky men, prossies, pickpockets and other assorted scumbaggery on every corner?

agreed. I think it's gonna be a very difficult transformation this

Back