The end of the West End?

Wonder how much it’ll change for 2024? Thinking of popping over whilst the euros are on with the mrs.

More likely to stay in San Antonio Bay with the mrs and then head over for an England game or 2 in Linekers.

Highlander will be bouncing for the euros with Scotland there.

Any rumours of new bars opening up, or any closures which we tend to get this time of year?

Wonder how much it’ll change for 2024? Thinking of popping over whilst the euros are on with the mrs.

More likely to stay in San Antonio Bay with the mrs and then head over for an England game or 2 in Linekers.

Highlander will be bouncing for the euros with Scotland there.

Any rumours of new bars opening up, or any closures which we tend to get this time of year?

I always find being in Ibiza during football euros or WC a bit mixed (bear with me). Of course it’s great fun in the bars and the vibe is great, and had some fantastic times especially when England or Spain playing.

However, I do find it slightly changes some of the vibe in clubs depending on the results. If Spain lose, or England (other teams play) sometimes it can kill the vibe a bit on that night. It can also make it amazing. I recall an amazing night in Pacha for Luciano in 2010 when Spain won the WC. I also recall flat nights when England lost (many times). So my point (being made badly I think) is it just changes some vibe based on results.

Last edited:
I always find being in Ibiza during football euros or WC a bit mixed (bear with me). Of course it’s great fun in the bars and the vibe is great, and had some fantastic times especially when England or Spain playing.

However, I do find it slightly changes some of the vibe in clubs depending on the results. If Spain lose, or England (other teams play) sometimes it can kill the vibe a bit on that night. It can also make it amazing. I recall an amazing night in Pacha for Luciano in 2010 when Spain won the WC. I also recall flat nights when England lost (many times). So my point (being made badly I think) is it just changes some vibe based on results.

Boo hoo, flag shaggers. Cool parties are for twisted freaks not chanting ‘lads’. True fact.

I remember watching Spain win the Euros in 2012 on the big screen at the 123 Rocktronic festival. Great atmosphere.

2008 when they won the euros I was 15 in Santa Eulalia, big party around the fountain. great memories

The Ship is no more. Being converted into a restaurant I believe.

Well that’s a shame. Is that new owners completely and a new direction, ie more upmarket?

I can’t say I’m surprised, my friends wouldn’t even come in there last year as people that don’t know the place. No passing trade anymore and nowhere near as many workers there really meant it was quiet, probably just many people visiting through memories and nostalgia.

First night on one trip last year I had a few games of shut the box in there with some residents/locals, good memories 🥃. Which itself leads me to remember another bar closed down - The Fish 😟

Last edited:
Well that’s a shame. Is that new owners completely and a new direction, ie more upmarket?

I can’t say I’m surprised, my friends wouldn’t even come in there last year as people that don’t know the place. No passing trade anymore and nowhere near as many workers there really meant it was quiet, probably just many people visiting through memories and nostalgia.

First night on one trip last year I had a few games of shut the box in there with some residents/locals, good memories 🥃. Which itself leads me to remember another bar closed down - The Fish 😟
Same owners as far as I know, they are going for a diner/bistro type of vibe. But yeah it had been pretty quiet there last season.

Same owners as far as I know, they are going for a diner/bistro type of vibe. But yeah it had been pretty quiet there last season.

That's good to hear, it's not a terrible spot with the ability to put tables out on the square.

As said, their old clientele of workers pre/post shift had gone and there's not enough passing trade for drinkers anymore when Highlander etc can hoover up that(shrinking) market share in the locality.

Assume they took up the offer of funds to convert to a restaurant.

Remember reading on here the San An council were offering incentives last year?

That's good to hear, it's not a terrible spot with the ability to put tables out on the square.

As said, their old clientele of workers pre/post shift had gone and there's not enough passing trade for drinkers anymore when Highlander etc can hoover up that(shrinking) market share in the locality.
I think you are right that less bars on the West End means less workers around and thats been the end of it.

Assume they took up the offer of funds to convert to a restaurant.

Remember reading on here the San An council were offering incentives last year?

If thats true then its not a bad policy to reinevent San An, better to help existing owners redevelop into something new than shut them down and have boarded up buildings.

Back