Tell us how it was - Ibiza 2019

Dates you were there: 20 May to 1 June 2019

Where you stayed: 20 to 24 May at Hotel Migjorn in Playa D'en Bossa for IMS with a friend; then in a very nice (& surprisingly quiet) 2-bedroom, three storey house in Ibiza Town just behind Calle de la Virgen (obviously the quieter end!) for the remainder, along with my husband and a couple of friends.

I was impressed with the Migjorn - three stories including a private roof terrace and a good breakfast with plenty of choices. Staff were friendly and the place was spotless and pretty chilled, despite being in the heart of PDB. I'd definitely stay there again for IMS as it's less than 10 minutes walks to Hard Rock for the conference.

We used to stay at Es Vive so popped in for one final drink last Friday on the roof terrace. It pains me to say this, but it seems to have really changed since Messi's MiM group took it over. That special attention to detail just isn't there anymore. Plus, the new scent along the corridors is enough to give anyone hay fever!

Club nights visited: I was more working than partying but during IMS I went to Boiler Room at Pacha, All Day I Dream at Cova Santa, and watched IMS Dalt Vila from the roof terrace - prime spot and my friends didn't have passes. Then, I let my hair down a bit the following week and made it along to Pikes on Sunday for Justin Robertson and the Cocoon Afters at Benimussa Park.

Best night: Pikes was as fun as always but I was really impressed with the two places I hadn't been to before - Cova Santa and Benimussa Park. The crowd, music and general vibe at both were excellent. I'd say Benimussa for the Cocoon afters was the best party as everyone was together and Sven was on fire - plus the surprise carry on in the Rabbit Hole. But I really enjoyed All Day I Dream and everyone was very friendly - it really reminded me of my earlier trips to Ibiza, many years ago.

Worst night: No duds all, which was nice. Had I not been working the next day, I would have stayed at Pacha for longer.

Best bar: Sa Trinxa for Jon Sa Trinxa's Monday session. Just the best place to chill out on a Monday afternoon. I think we were the last people to leave - even Jon Sa Trinxa had gone home!

Best place to eat: Vegan choices are improving in Ibiza but very slowly! We pushed the boat out on our last night and went to Bambuddha - the sushi and black truffle dumplings for starters were excellent, along with the cocktails. Main course less so though. Simbiosis in Ibiza Town is now fully vegan and we went twice. Great location and more of a 'vibe' there, with a DJ (who looked and sounded like Jon Sa Trinxa!). Since when did Hawaiian poke bowls get so popular - so many places serving them!

Money spent: I haven't checked yet but it won't be pretty. At least I can claim a lot of it on expenses...

Biggest regret: This trip, I didn't actually make it fully over to the west coast (only as far as Pikes and Benimussa Park) for the sunset. We were supposed to meet friends who now live in Ibiza at Hostal La Torre for the sunset with Alfredo but I was outvoted and everyone else was happy to chill on the roof terrace. Bit gutted I missed it as my friends said Alfredo was excellent. I also wish I would have made the Dixon opening party but I was knackered from IMS and my husband only arrived around 11.30pm that evening. Another reason to return, I suppose.

Going back?: Definitely back for IMS in 2020 and probably again this summer, depending on some discussions with artists and labels I may be working with. If not, I still fancy a few days later in the summer.

Top tip: Even if you feel tired / rough, make it out (and convince your friends to do so!), as the fresh air always helps. I had to pretty much drag my friends along to Sa Trinxa and Benimussa Park for the Cocoon afters and they were so glad I did. Also, if staying in an apartment or house with cooking facilities, ALDI is your friend, even if you're vegan. It was a life saver for breakfast and really cheap too.
Nice review.

Love Migjorn; some of the 'suites' are less well laid out / smaller but most of them are good.

The restaurant there (Unic) is quite good for a fine dining type dinner; their gym is small but functional and they have an OK water therapy / spa type thing.

They also have spare shower / bathroom facilities so you can check out, leave your luggage, go to the beach, and come back and freshen up (if you've stayed there, obviously).

The pool / bar manager is very cool and sometimes lets you on the decks if he likes you.

If you want to stay there again, email them referring to your previous stay and they will sometimes give you really cracking deals.

My bedroom was overlooking the gym and I thought it looked decent.

I would definitely stay there again for IMS.

Dates you were there: 1st June - 5th June

Where you stayed: Red Hotel San An. I can thoroughly recommend this place for value for money and location. We paid extra for a sea view, had a great room on the 5th floor looking out over the fountains below and the bay. Cost about £50 euros per night...you just can't go wrong. The bar/restaurant was really nice, had the feel of somewhere much more upmarket.

Club nights visited: Toolroom Opening @ Eden, Wax da Jam @ Pikes. Having not been to Eden for over 10 years we decided to go due to ticket price, convenience and line-up. I knew it would be a young British crowd and was worried it would be half-empty (San An in general seemed quite quiet at this time of the year). I'd say over the half the crowd were workers who got let in for free. But it was decent in the end. I do like what they have done with Eden to make the dancefloor in front of the stage look busy even when the club is not full, this is clever by them as it's probably only really Defected that is really busy. The music was wicked from all the dj's but quite short sets...

Pikes was great. I wanted a night this year that gave me a feel of the old Ibiza I remember.....and I got that here. Over 25's, pretty cool crowd, great music right up my street (house/disco), and I loved Pikes as a venue. Missed Jarvis Cocker though as he was on earlier....but it was free to get in, and didn't seem to be trying to rinse you for money like a lot of places...I think beers were 8euros, cheaper than Eden! (10e)

Best night: Both so different, Pikes probably for the experience.

Worst night: N/A

Best bar: Quite liked Tulp, on the promenade. Nice and quiet, good for a bit of people watching. They had a girl on her own little stall making a variety of gin-cocktails....my other half liked that....

Best place to eat: Tapas. Also had a really nice goats cheese salad at Can Yucas on Cala Tarida.

Money spent: About £700 for 2 of us...

Biggest regret: None really....we toyed with Claptone @ Pacha instead of Pikes....we'd been given these masks from the Masqurade PR's that got you in for 20e (keep your eyes peeled for those)....but I'm glad we chose Pikes instead.

Going back?: Of course...

Top tip: Going this time of year and not everything being open yet, it did feel a bit quiet. So pick and choose your events carefully. Also my girlfriend said she wished she'd taken jeans as it got a bit nippy at night after dark. Certain things looked really busy though....we stuck our heads over the fence of OB and that was rammed! Absolutely packed. They have got it completely nailed in there for the type of crowd they're aiming at (instagram posts etc). I wouldn't go myself but I must admit I was impressed by the production and how busy it was. So if that's your thing, you'll probably enjoy it.

I would also recommend using the buses (if you don't have a car). We got the bus to Cala Tarida, 3euros each.....and it was a lovely day. Beach was so nice. Could walk out for a long way with the water just coming up to your waist. Bit like Cala Conte but not as busy.

We had a great time, my other half said it was her favourite trip so far.....I'm slowly turning her!

Pikes was great. I wanted a night this year that gave me a feel of the old Ibiza I remember.....and I got that here. Over 25's, pretty cool crowd, great music right up my street (house/disco), and I loved Pikes as a venue. Missed Jarvis Cocker though as he was on earlier....but it was free to get in, and didn't seem to be trying to rinse you for money like a lot of places...I think beers were 8euros, cheaper than Eden! (10e)

We really wanna go to Wax Da Jam Monday the 24th of June. However our plane leaves really early tuesdaymorning.
Was it house/disco from the start and at what time did it get busy enough to have fun and interaction with the crowd?

great read btw :)

We got there about 1am and it was really busy. The crowd were really into it.....felt like a proper party (I reckon a lot of people had been there a while!). It was house/disco/funk for the whole time we were there....left about 4ish can't remember. Pikes is a great venue....plenty to explore.....nice outside bit that was packed with people chatting/smoking...

Great. Thanks. I think we're gonna do that. Already on the guestlist. F*ck sleep on the last night ;-)
Also, there's nothing else on Monday that catches my eye...Wax Da Jam has been on my list for a long time!

I would definitely go, it starts earlier than the clubs so you wouldn't need it to be that late a night if you're worried about your flight. Alternatively, go the night before to Tales of the Unexpected....they have some good line-ups...

Dates you were there: May 15 to June 4th

Where you stayed: San Antonio 15/5-20/5; Portinatx 20/5-4/6

Club nights visited (His): Lio Opening w/ Nightmares on Wax (21st), ADID @ Cova Santa (23rd)/ Flash @ Pikes (23rd), Lio w/ Felix da Housecat (30th) Creative Collective w/ DJ Alfredo @ Pikes (31st)

Club nights visited (Hers): Defected Opening (17th), Groove Odyssey @ Eden w/ Joey Negro(18th), GlitterBox (26th)

Best night: Lio Opening. I was pleasantly surprised as they replaced David Morales (who I like), with Nightmares on Wax for an all night long set! ADID is also worth a mention. Wife loved Glitterbox and was finally able to hear Masters at Work and meet Louie Vega. She also had nothing but nice things to say about Groove Odyssey weekend group, as she said it was like being with longtime friends.

Worst night: Lio w/ Felix da Housecat. Not the DJ's fault. as I danced my ass off, as did all who were there, but we had him largely to ourselves. I chalk this up to a night in the early season.

Best bar: My evening with a couple of pints 'people watching' outside Shenanigans on the West End.

Best place to eat: Went back to La Paloma (St. Lorence) , but mostly ate at the apartment. My youngest will be two tomorrow, and likes to scream in public!!! Multiple ice cream trips to 'Capitulo Dos' in San An.

Money spent: Spent about e80 per day versus e100 per day in 2018, not counting flights, car or hotels.

Biggest regret: The 2nd week (entire first week in Portinatx) the family was inside most days as the oldest boy got a stomach bug (4 days), and once he was better we got rained on for another three. I am beach and sun lizard, so I felt a bit cheated there. It was frigid for me in the evenings, but nice most days. That's just me, as I have lived in the tropics for the last decade. I will likely keep my stays to mid-late June or July in the future. Also, didn't get to the Chiringuito until last sunset (on Monday), with Jimmiz nowhere to be found!

Going back?: Will be tracking flights for June 2020!!! In serious discussion with wifey about possibly moving to Ibiza in next 5 years or so.

Top tip: Don't have kids (just kidding).

Last edited:
Worst night: Lio w/ Felix da Housecat. Not the DJ's fault. as I danced my ass off, as did all who were there, but we had him largely to ourselves. I chalk this up to a night in the early season.

Wow, I didn't even know this was on! I was staying in Ibiza Town and actually looked out towards Lio that night. Not great PR from them which probably explains why it was so quiet.

Just out of interest, how much was it for entry? Never been to Lio and always thought it was ££££ with very expensive food and drink, and all about the shows with dancers.

We're in the exact same boat. Currently planning our departure from the UAE to move the Ibiza :)
Basically all that means right now is keeping an eye on brexit for what implications it'll have on getting residency there.

Me too. If it wasn't for that darn B-word :mad: I might be there already, as my Mum was interested in buying a place in Ibiza and we viewed some properties in 2016. However, the continued uncertainties and the rubbish exchange rate has put that on hold. For now.

My aunt has bought a place.. lives in Goa / wolverhamton since she was 18 bought a place in Goa 40 years ago for the price of a bed at BMI ? she imports all that crap people buy at hippy markets ? she's 70 now and the trips to Goa are bit of a trek.. sold her place in Tenerife and got a smaller place in Ibiza.. sold her business too.. €€€€€€€ .

Family Holiday Version :)

Dates you were there:
Sunday 26th May – Sunday 2nd June 2019

Where you stayed: Apartmentos Bahia, Santa Eulalia – Decent sized rooms, 2 bedrooms – so my 11 year old daughter had her own room, clean, great location. However, very noisy.

Club nights Restaurants visited: Savannah (San Antonio), Can Domingo (San Jose), Chezz Gerdi (Formentera), La Solera (Ibiza Town), On The Beach (Cala de Sant Vincent), Passion Café (San Jose & Santa Eulalia), Chicho’s Pizza, Kathmandu Indian, Marytierra, The Bliss Factory, Es Puet, Bar Dona Ana, Ice Wave (All Santa Eulalia).

Best restaurant night: Can Domingo (San Jose), La Solera (Ibiza Town), On the Beach (Cala de Sant Vincent) and Ice Wave (Santa Eulalia) for dessert.

Worst restaurant night: Es Puet wasn’t great, could have hammered in nails with my daughters baguette.

Best bar: La Costanera – our local so we were in there most evenings, decent price and pretty strong cocktails.

Best beach: Cala de Sant Vincent

Money spent: Plenty.

Biggest regret: Can’t think of anything major. Although half way through the first day I was regretting booking the 5:35am flight out from Gatwick.

Going back?: Of course, back in September with mates for 5 nights in PdB, then the wife flies out, and we head up north for 10 days.

Top tip:
Visit Harinus Forn Artesa in Santa Eulalia for a Ensaimada.
Despite the place not changing one bit since I went in 2000, a trip to the Water Park in PdB is a must if you have kids.
Hire a car and explore.

Last edited:
We're in the exact same boat. Currently planning our departure from the UAE to move the Ibiza :)
Basically all that means right now is keeping an eye on brexit for what implications it'll have on getting residency there.
Wife is Argentine and I am from the US. Technically, she can get EU citizenship via Italian/ Spanish grandparents. Honestly, that is not the complicated bit. I want to get some ducks in a row prior to going so I don't have to hustle all summer like most people once we live there.

Wow, I didn't even know this was on! I was staying in Ibiza Town and actually looked out towards Lio that night. Not great PR from them which probably explains why it was so quiet.

Just out of interest, how much was it for entry? Never been to Lio and always thought it was ££££ with very expensive food and drink, and all about the shows with dancers.
No PR really. I only knew because I looked at their site, and that was not very reliable as Nightmares on Wax was a complete surprize.

The entry was similar to large clubs 40 for the NoW open and 50 for Felix. I would not go there for a meal, but the dinks there were slightly more expensive than the clubs.

Dates you were there: 20 May to 1 June 2019

Where you stayed: 20 to 24 May at Hotel Migjorn in Playa D'en Bossa for IMS with a friend; then in a very nice (& surprisingly quiet) 2-bedroom, three storey house in Ibiza Town just behind Calle de la Virgen (obviously the quieter end!) for the remainder, along with my husband and a couple of friends.
I think we were neighbors. View from the house.

Back