Tell us how it was - Ibiza 2019

Dates: 5.th of may -10.th of may 2019

stayed at: can arabí agriturismo, puig d`en valls

costs: flights 300€ for both, 90€ rental car and 800€ for 5* agriturismo, including one of the nicest brekki Buffets i have ever seen, fresh oj, fresh hegg, all sorts of jamon, loads of different cheese, healthy bread, croissants, jam, pastries, tea, cappucchino and delicious fresh fruits, there was a snack buffet that was open the whole day.

places we ate:
  • la cava ibiza, yummie tapas and wine, we had loads of different tapas, i loved the beetroot humus, the wild patatas bravas with the alio sauce and the foie gras.
  • sa trincha: had the classic prawn salad with loads of glasses of white wine.
  • sunset ashrams: delicious fish and seafood plate and some white wine in an awesome atmosphere with not too many guests and good music.
  • ca pages: good as always, we shared the special house salad and that pork from the oven, aswell as a whole bottle of red. couldn’t even manage the free hierbas anymore as i was filled with food and quite drunk and still had to drive back to puig.
  • amante: just walked in without booking and got a good table, wife had the sirvia fish and i had the chargrilled formetera squid with mashed sweet potatoes, both very tasty. ?
  • sometimes we just went to kfc/pizza hut, seems in pre season the food there is better.

Biggest regret: once again we did not visit formentera

Going back?: yes sure, maybe end of september

Top tip: kumharas for some cocktails and the sunset.

the agriturismo was really nice, they offered free yoga lessons for wifey, as i am not too much into yoga i took a mountain bike from the agritursimo to do my morning rides along a more or less good signposted route 11 from puig to santa gertrudis which took me thru forests on dirt roads off from the traffic in a scenic route, sometimes finca dogs were barking at me.

we didn’t do any clubbing jus some beach bars.
i wanted to go to the B12 in Ibiza as Megablast was playing that night but wifey was too tired.
never mind that, we still had a great time.

Dates you were there:
21/05 - 28/05

Where you stayed:
Four nights at Purple/San Antonio (approx. 43€/night) and three nights at Can Beia/San Antonio (former "Hostal Torres", approx. 21€/night) - can recommend both places in case you're a budget traveller and don't expect luxury - purple has an super awesome pool area

Club nights visited:
Eden Opening, Tronic@Eden, All Day I Dream@Cova Santa, Toolroom Workers & Friends Party

Best night:
Eden Opening - great vibe, well-frequented but not overpacked

Worst night:
it was not that bad, but if I have to choose: Tronic@Eden - somehow the techno vibes didn't catch me at this club.

Best bar:
Flahertys Irish Pub/San Antonio - a lot of locals and workers and reasonable prices (pint 3,50€ - hierbas on ice aswell)

Best place to eat:
rita's cantina, Pizzaman (7€ menue!) and for breakfast "Bar Benitez" (pan con tomate + coffee 2€)
my view as a budget traveller ;)

Money spent:
about 350€ for hotels & flight + approx. 450€ on site

Biggest regret:
  1. leaving the Eden opening before the tanzmann & squillance b2b (because of drunkenness)
  2. skipping the dixon opening (I'm a huge dixon fanboy) because of condition (and weather) reasons...
Going back?:
May/June next year... or probably in September/October in case there are reasonable options...

Top tip:
the westend isn't that bad...

Dates you were there:
17/05 - 19/05

Where you stayed:
Migjorn (PDB)

Club nights visited:
Do Not Sleep Opening @Cova Santa

Best night:
N/A - not really a clubbing trip

Worst night:

Best bar:

Best place to eat:
Unic @ Migjorn - their menu has changed, fine dining type of thing
CBBC was quite good - expensive but good quality & service. This may change during peak season

Money spent:
~800-1000 Euros (2 people) - flights and hotel were partially paid for by points, however

Biggest regret:
Not seeing ANNA @ Hi Opening

Going back?:
End of July confirmed, possibly end of September

Top tip:
Hi had early morning tickets for a cheaper price as part of their 24 hour party - something similar may happen for closing

Dates you were there:
22nd May - 29th May

Where you stayed:
MiM Ibiza Es Vive Figueretas. Excellent hotel in a great location. Really nice pool area, great service hard to fault it really.

Club nights visited:
All Day I Dream @ Cova Santa A bit of a last minute decision to go to this but I'm glad we did. First time at Cova Santa, its a good venue. Lots of people wearing scarves.?

IMS @ Dalt Vila. With heavy rain in the evening running up to this I didn't know if we were even gonna make it, but the weather cleared and sun came out just as the party started so it was game on. Its a totally unique venue and we had a great time. But the lineup is ridiculously crowded.
B2B squeezed into one hour sets is pointless. They could have trimed the line-up by half. I did enjoy Beyer/Engberg and Charlotte De Witte though.
Surprisingly reasonable drink prices here too. €3 water.

After IMS we headed to Paradise Lost for the Secret DJ event, now this concept is right up my street. If you've ever been in here you will know it is tiny and it was packed. Great tunes/ great sound. And they do the best cocktails.

Cocoon 20 @ Ushuaia I have never been to Ushuaia before. They have just never had anything that interested me. But this was one not to be missed. I have to say Ushuaia is a great venue. I don't think these Cocoon live events could be done anywhere else. Sven was good. Underworld were excellent.

Glitterbox opening @ Hi. The only good thing about this night was hearing Masters at Work. I don't like the venue or the crowd it attracts.

Cocoon opening afters @ Benimussa. I just love Sven when he plays these long sets. Hes at his best when he can spread his wings. Great party, great crowd, good venue, reasonable drink prices here too.

Best night:
Cocoon 20 @ Ushuaia.

Worst night:

Glitterbox @ Hi

Best bar:

Paradise Lost for their awesome Dark and Stormy.

Best place to eat:

Sa Cova easily the best meal of the trip.
I have to give a special recommendation to Oli Beach in Figueretas. My girlfriend was recently diagnosed as celiac, which means she has to avoid all Gluten and all traces of Gluten from cross contamination. Oli Beach has the most extensive Gluten free menu of anywhere we have eaten.

Money spent:

Don't wanna know!

Biggest regret:
Paying €50 for a ticket to Glitterbox.

Going back?:
You bet! We have to decide between coming over in September for the Cocoon 20/Kraftwerk gig or a few weeks later for the Cocoon closing!

Top tip:

The Top tip for 2019 is definitely get the taxi app. Worked really well the few times I used it.

There is not a lot there I want to see in the grand scheme of things, Black Coffee maybe - but not if the place has a high tool count :)

I know the Ushuaia residents get access and that might not be exactly mining the pool of underground dance music headz.

Thanks, one off the list :)

Don’t let one bloke having a moan put you off! ?
Lots of variables make a for a good crowd. Time of year or promoter for example can bring a totally different crowd.
I recommend checking the place out yourself and making your own mind up.

@Tucker did I bump into you at Dalt Vila/Paradise Lost??? Pretty sure I didn't, but there are are some patches missing...

Dates you were there: 20 May to 1 June 2019

Where you stayed: 20 to 24 May at Hotel Migjorn in Playa D'en Bossa for IMS with a friend; then in a very nice (& surprisingly quiet) 2-bedroom, three storey house in Ibiza Town just behind Calle de la Virgen (obviously the quieter end!) for the remainder, along with my husband and a couple of friends.

I was impressed with the Migjorn - three stories including a private roof terrace and a good breakfast with plenty of choices. Staff were friendly and the place was spotless and pretty chilled, despite being in the heart of PDB. I'd definitely stay there again for IMS as it's less than 10 minutes walks to Hard Rock for the conference.

We used to stay at Es Vive so popped in for one final drink last Friday on the roof terrace. It pains me to say this, but it seems to have really changed since Messi's MiM group took it over. That special attention to detail just isn't there anymore. Plus, the new scent along the corridors is enough to give anyone hay fever!

Club nights visited: I was more working than partying but during IMS I went to Boiler Room at Pacha, All Day I Dream at Cova Santa, and watched IMS Dalt Vila from the roof terrace - prime spot and my friends didn't have passes. Then, I let my hair down a bit the following week and made it along to Pikes on Sunday for Justin Robertson and the Cocoon Afters at Benimussa Park.

Best night: Pikes was as fun as always but I was really impressed with the two places I hadn't been to before - Cova Santa and Benimussa Park. The crowd, music and general vibe at both were excellent. I'd say Benimussa for the Cocoon afters was the best party as everyone was together and Sven was on fire - plus the surprise carry on in the Rabbit Hole. But I really enjoyed All Day I Dream and everyone was very friendly - it really reminded me of my earlier trips to Ibiza, many years ago.

Worst night: No duds all, which was nice. Had I not been working the next day, I would have stayed at Pacha for longer.

Best bar: Sa Trinxa for Jon Sa Trinxa's Monday session. Just the best place to chill out on a Monday afternoon. I think we were the last people to leave - even Jon Sa Trinxa had gone home!

Best place to eat: Vegan choices are improving in Ibiza but very slowly! We pushed the boat out on our last night and went to Bambuddha - the sushi and black truffle dumplings for starters were excellent, along with the cocktails. Main course less so though. Simbiosis in Ibiza Town is now fully vegan and we went twice. Great location and more of a 'vibe' there, with a DJ (who looked and sounded like Jon Sa Trinxa!). Since when did Hawaiian poke bowls get so popular - so many places serving them!

Money spent: I haven't checked yet but it won't be pretty. At least I can claim a lot of it on expenses...

Biggest regret: This trip, I didn't actually make it fully over to the west coast (only as far as Pikes and Benimussa Park) for the sunset. We were supposed to meet friends who now live in Ibiza at Hostal La Torre for the sunset with Alfredo but I was outvoted and everyone else was happy to chill on the roof terrace. Bit gutted I missed it as my friends said Alfredo was excellent. I also wish I would have made the Dixon opening party but I was knackered from IMS and my husband only arrived around 11.30pm that evening. Another reason to return, I suppose.

Going back?: Definitely back for IMS in 2020 and probably again this summer, depending on some discussions with artists and labels I may be working with. If not, I still fancy a few days later in the summer.

Top tip: Even if you feel tired / rough, make it out (and convince your friends to do so!), as the fresh air always helps. I had to pretty much drag my friends along to Sa Trinxa and Benimussa Park for the Cocoon afters and they were so glad I did. Also, if staying in an apartment or house with cooking facilities, ALDI is your friend, even if you're vegan. It was a life saver for breakfast and really cheap too.

Top tip: Even if you feel tired / rough, make it out (and convince your friends to do so!), as the fresh air always helps. I had to pretty much drag my friends along to Sa Trinxa and Benimussa Park for the Cocoon afters and they were so glad I did. Also, if staying in an apartment or house with cooking facilities, ALDI is your friend, even if you're vegan. It was a life saver for breakfast and really cheap too.

Great tip!! After 5 trips now, this is the one thing me and my friend always say we should have done more (one would think we learn after 5 times...) as the times we do make it out during the day usually turn out to be the most memorable.
So we have really made it a point now for the whole year since our last trip to remind each other every single time we meet to "get the f*** out of our apartment more" in hopes at least one of us will remember once we're there. ?

Back