Tell us how it was - Ibiza 2018

Dates you were there: 18th -25th August

Where you stayed: Abrat - San Antonio: great location and nice rooms having only been refurbed 2-3 years ago, much nicer part of town than the rest of San An these days (more on that later)

Club nights visited: Elrow at Amnesia, Cream at Hi, Hed Kandi at Ocean Beach, Tuesdays On Mars at Pacha, Glitterbox at Hi

Best night: Glitterbox at Hi: not for the first time it was the 'surprise' night that stole the show, went more due to lack of interest in the other nights on offer, but found a great crowd and vibe and Roger Sanchez, Armand Van Helden and the DJ's in the club room were pumping out the classics and funky tunes. For the first time I felt an Ibiza vibe in Hi.

Tuesdays On Mars at Pacha was also great as we had the rare spectacle of Calvin Harris, David Guetta and Martin Solveig in the DJ booth together, like an EDM supergroup. Calvin's set was more Deep House than EDM like in previous years and was all the better for it. Pacha was rammed and the atmosphere electric.

Worst night: Cream at Hi. Attended loads of Cream gigs over the years, and this was like a cheap imitation quite clear that Hi are just renting the brand with no creative input. Been warned about Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike before, and should have known better...just playing dated EDM off a USB with the song changing every 30 seconds while one of them shouted a load of nonsense down the microphone. Loads of VIP's posing in the booths as well. Oliver Heldens who was first on did ok and at least played some up to date tunes, but was followed up by NERVO who I think thought they were hosting an aerobics class as were just leaping up and down.

Best bar: Golden Buddah: Mambo & Cafe Del Mar get all the sunset 'fame' but this place has just a good a view and no minimum spend. Great to spend an hour or two here on the comfy sofa's with a frosted glass beer.

Best place to eat: Davids in San Antonio & Bella Napoli in Ibiza Town: hard to split these two, just good honest Italian food at decent prices.

Money spent: approx £800 for hotel, 900 Euros for tickets, booze and food.

Biggest regret: wanted to try Kumharas for the sunset but didn't get there.

Going back?: at some point, BUT: I feel Ibiza is at a tipping point. Most years I have stayed in San An, and there's always been an element of trash, but that has always been outweighed by how cheap and fun it can be. This year the resort just looked run-down, the 3am West End closure has been discussed at length elsewhere but it isn't working. At 3am you have hundreds of drunk people stumbling to beaches & backstreets looking to continue the party. Due to this more Prozzies & Muggers than ever are around and the place felt unsafe at times. While you've always had to have your wits about you in San An, it has never been this bad. It's got to a point where I won't return until they hire more Police and give the area a much needed cleanup.

I've also built up a negative opinion of Bossa the last few years, which now seems to have more ticket sellers and shot girls than customers, you can't walk 2 steps without someone trying to make you part with cash. The street near Sankeys which used to be a good pre-drinks spot was dead this year also, no doubt due to Sankeys barely being open these days.

Spent more and more time in Ibiza Town this year, which while more expensive for the drinks itself, is much more relaxed and you can sit and watch the world go by and enjoy it. So it is looking like an Ibiza Town or Figueretas trip next time. But I do admit increasing age is a factor in these comments!

Top tip: Discobuses, saved a fortune using these this time.

Agree with petty much all of this, I stayed at the Abrat a few years ago and thought it was decent. Good pool and massive garden area. I like that part of San An, I've stayed in a few hotels there.

I didn't mention that Like Mike and Dimitri Vegas double act in my review as I didn't want to sound too negative, but agree they are horrendous. Saw them at the Tommorowland party at Ushuaia, sounds like they just thrash out the same old routine wherever they go. And that Steve Aoki bloke throwing cakes at people, was like some sort of circus or something.

Dates you were there: 17-21 August.

Where you stayed: Heaven apartments, playa den bossa. Off the beaten track, up a residential road but on the face of it, it looked almost fine four class accommodation. Staff a mix of v friendly to v miserable. Didn’t try the food, drinks were expensive. The pool was full of cockroaches in the morning and they were very busy round the back of the hotel in the early hours. On reflection this was more revolting than I originally accepted.

Club nights visited: Prydz at hi, shine at privilege vista, Solly at pacha.

Best night: Prydz. My dirty secret and my wife’s fav. He was decent but not as good as any of the previous times I’ve heard him.

Worst night: Solly was rather dull, monotonous prog techno that went nowhere with no peaks and many troughs. Wife and I made our own fun to compensate. Not worth 70 Euro.

Best bar: Tantra for Barbara Tucker which was a fun surprise.

Best place to eat: Somewhere in Dalt Vila for a nice steak.

Money spent: 250 a day. I know, we are lucky to be able to afford it.

Biggest regret: Not complaining more about the cockroaches.

Going back?: Maybe. 21 years and counting with two years off to have kids. But the music, location and cost was a real turn off this year. Musically I found the island completely crap, and I mean completely crap. Techno on the decline on a huge scale; Trance practically non existent and dominated by edm and trouse; house music entirely focussed on the past. My worst trip to Ibiza by far, but it’s been coming. If edm, tech house and swag is the future then I need to stop going. Lovely to be there and sit in the sun but I found it disappointing this year and I need to re think what I want from Ibiza or future summer holiday locations with my wife as we only get 3-4 days break each year. PDB needs a damn good clean. Hoteliers need a reality check on price. Restaurants need to do likewise. Bars need to restart making a real effort to get people in. The whole place felt jaundice, tired and uninviting. Ibiza is at a number of cross roads. And I am at a cross roads with Ibiza. It maybe an age thing, it maybe that I’ve had 21 years of terrific experiences, it maybe I’ve travelled and know what good looks like, it maybe I am no longer surprised and excited by the island. Maybe I’m going to the wrong places. Maybe the right places no longer exist for me. Maybe I need a break from it?Maybe I just need to move on and grow old gracefully. It could be a combination of any of the above.

Top tip: Complain, achieve the objective and move on.

My final thought......

Last edited by a moderator:

Worst night: Solly was rather dull, monotonous prog techno that went nowhere with no peaks and many troughs. Wife and I made our own fun to compensate. Not worth 70 Euro.
I m not the only be thinking this party on Sunday is overated
Boring music for Boring people? :D

You need a few visits none clubbing..you'll never look back..:)
Maybe mate. I still like clubbing and don’t want to be consigned to old skool and retro. But there is v little new material that is exciting me at the moment and that is a big issue for me when we see the music industry on the island in a state of flux, which I think it largely is at present.

Maybe mate. I still like clubbing and don’t want to be consigned to old skool and retro. But there is v little new material that is exciting me at the moment and that is a big issue for me when we see the music industry on the island in a state of flux, which I think it largely is at present.
Me too but there is more places if you still want a good night out.. maybe pikes is a bit busy these days but BHS at salinas is really good mix of everything ..

Where you stayed: Heaven apartments, playa den bossa. Off the beaten track, up a residential road but on the face of it, it looked almost fine four class accommodation. Staff a mix of v friendly to v miserable. Didn’t try the food, drinks were expensive. The pool was full of cockroaches in the morning and they were very busy round the back of the hotel in the early hours. On reflection this was more revolting than I originally accepted.

Club nights visited: Prydz at hi, shine at privilege vista, Solly at pacha.

Best night: Prydz. My dirty secret and my wife’s fav. He was decent but not as good as any of the previous times I’ve heard him.

Best bar: Tantra for Barbara Tucker which was a fun surprise.

Best place to eat: Somewhere in Dalt Vila for a nice steak.

Money spent: 250 a day. I know, we are lucky to be able to afford it.

Biggest regret: Not complaining more about the cockroaches.

Going back?: Maybe. 21 years and counting with two years off to have kids. But the music, location and cost was a real turn off this year. Musically I found the island completely crap, and I mean completely crap. Techno on the decline on a huge scale; Trance practically non existent and dominated by edm and trouse; house music entirely focussed on the past. My worst trip to Ibiza by far, but it’s been coming. If edm, tech house and swag is the future then I need to stop going. Lovely to be there and sit in the sun but I found it disappointing this year and I need to re think what I want from Ibiza or future summer holiday locations with my wife as we only get 3-4 days break each year. PDB needs a damn good clean. Hoteliers need a reality check on price. Restaurants need to do likewise. Bars need to restart making a real effort to get people in. The whole place felt jaundice, tired and uninviting. Ibiza is at a number of cross roads. And I am at a cross roads with Ibiza. It maybe an age thing, it maybe that I’ve had 21 years of terrific experiences, it maybe I’ve travelled and know what good looks like, it maybe I am no longer surprised and excited by the island. Maybe I’m going to the wrong places. Maybe the right places no longer exist for me. Maybe I need a break from it?Maybe I just need to move on and grow old gracefully. It could be a combination of any of the above.

Top tip: Complain, achieve the objective and move on.

My final thought......

interesting feedback. understand and very much agree on ibiza needing a reality check when it comes to price level, as already much discussed on here. as for music I personally don't experience it the same way but am taking into consideration I'm here all year around so am lucky to be able to choose lots and lots of events which I consider good and still love the music at those. as for solomun, in a season that isn't the best, the night is having its best summer ever so obviously it's still a very popular one. but no night is fantastic 20 weeks in a row and I truly believe you were unlucky.

lastly - cockroaches simply are part of ibiza. in the last two houses I've lived we had to fight them at some point. even my wife (who hates them more than EDM and reaggeton together) had to accept cockroaches simply are around here and that from time to time you need to take action so you don't see them anymore for a year or two :)

Me too but there is more places if you still want a good night out.. maybe pikes is a bit busy these days but BHS at salinas is really good mix of everything ..
Will add that to my evaluation list!

interesting feedback. understand and very much agree on ibiza needing a reality check when it comes to price level, as already much discussed on here. as for music I personally don't experience it the same way but am taking into consideration I'm here all year around so am lucky to be able to choose lots and lots of events which I consider good and still love the music at those. as for solomun, in a season that isn't the best, the night is having its best summer ever so obviously it's still a very popular one. but no night is fantastic 20 weeks in a row and I truly believe you were unlucky.

lastly - cockroaches simply are part of ibiza. in the last two houses I've lived we had to fight them at some point. even my wife (who hates them more than EDM and reaggeton together) had to accept cockroaches simply are around here and that from time to time you need to take action so you don't see them anymore for a year or two :)
Yeah, we accepted the cockroaches infestation as I say. I’ve seen enough of them on the island but never in a four star hotel!

Musically, I think it’s as much me as it is the island. But I don’t think it’s wholly me. I don’t know what direction the island is going in when it comes to underground music in the big clubs and that is a concern. Everything I’ve previously liked appears to be on the decline and isn’t getting replaced by anything as good or better, imo. I wasn’t helped by prydz and resistance being on the same night. Prydz is always going to win as he is my wife’s fav.

Pacha was busy, I was just expecting more after a good experience last year. Sometimes it just doesn’t go how you want it to, that’s life.

As you can probably tell, I’m desperately trying not to sound like a moaning old bastard, but I don’t think I’m succeeding!

Yeah, we accepted the cockroaches infestation as I say. I’ve seen enough of them on the island but never in a four star hotel!

Musically, I think it’s as much me as it is the island. But I don’t think it’s wholly me. I don’t know what direction the island is going in when it comes to underground music in the big clubs and that is a concern. Everything I’ve previously liked appears to be on the decline and isn’t getting replaced by anything as good or better, imo. I wasn’t helped by prydz and resistance being on the same night.

Pacha was busy, I was just expecting more after a good experience last year. Sometimes it just doesn’t go how you want it to, that’s life.

maybe underground will actually go underground again on the island which doesn't have to be a bad thing. I do understand your feelings though. even for me it has been the weirdest of seasons I've done so far.

maybe underground will actually go underground again on the island which doesn't have to be a bad thing. I do understand your feelings though. even for me it has been the weirdest of seasons I've done so far.
Absolutely. Could be the best thing to happen. I am just not sure the island has the infrastructure or the legislation to enable that to happen though.

I just want it to be good again, and exciting. And it’s not, for me anyway. But we had a great time apart from the clubs and the music and the general state of PDB. It mainly comes down to who you are with and we had a great time regardless. But if you are greedy (like me) and you want more, it was sadly lacking this year. Not a surprise though, it’s been coming for a number of years.

Absolutely. Could be the best thing to happen. I am just not sure the island has the infrastructure or the legislation to enable that to happen though.

I just want it to be good again, and exciting. And it’s not, for me anyway. But we had a great time apart from the clubs and the music and the general state of PDB. It mainly comes down to who you are with and we had a great time regardless. But if you are greedy (like me) and you want more, it was sadly lacking this year. Not a surprise though, it’s been coming for a number of years.

In June we took a chance on DoNotSleep in Amnesia and were so glad we did. Musically it was different (for us). We're going back in a couple of weeks again so plan to check out other nights we wouldn't normally have looked twice at.

In June we took a chance on DoNotSleep in Amnesia and were so glad we did. Musically it was different (for us). We're going back in a couple of weeks again so plan to check out other nights we wouldn't normally have looked twice at.
Tbf I have done this over the years. I went to DNS a couple of years ago and it wasn’t great for us. I’ve been listening to Darius locally for nearly two decades and had usually liked his sets though. Pleased you found something new and good.

How do you deal with them as a matter of interest? They scared me shitless the first time I came to Ibiza as I had never seen them before. Had to use the bathroom in our friends room for the whole trip due to the fact I noticed one in ours.

How do you deal with them as a matter of interest? They scared me shitless the first time I came to Ibiza as I had never seen them before. Had to use the bathroom in our friends room for the whole trip due to the fact I noticed one in ours.

I’ve heard you’re not meant to squish them as all their eggs spray everywhere! But I have to admit.....that’s the first thing I do when I see them!!

I turn on terminator mode and kill‘em - while my wife runs away shrieking and scared if she sees one. but proper dealing means calling a pest controller. if your home is infested, they will fumigate the house. this means you can‘t be in the building for at least 12 hours, but after that you can be sure the place will be cockroach free for two years.

I’ve heard you’re not meant to squish them as all their eggs spray everywhere! But I have to admit.....that’s the first thing I do when I see them!!

yeah I‘ve heard that too - not sure if it‘s true. I just always make sure to clean up well after any massacre

They always used to say you should burn them when I lived in Mexico...spray them first and then get a lighter to them!

Back