Tapas Bars ...

I'm sure you're right McCrackin, although I've never noticed the name. It's not the sort of place that goes for neon, if you see what I mean :confused:

Tabas Bars

There's one in ibiza town called Scenicus. Not bad although service is a little slow. Try the crab salad, yummy!

nickclayton said:
It's not the sort of place that goes for neon, if you see what I mean
i know perfectly what you mean!! ;)

(apparently el patio de los pasajeros is run by the sister of maría from the restaurant los pasajeros in the port :idea: )

no picture of el patio de los pasajeros but here is hostal parque instead:

126072_400_400_e.jpg

i really want to try tapas but i find it a bit intimidating and confusing.

what are the different types? ie. ( i may have got this totally wrong) are there some like small fingerfood that u pick and choose from, are some like a series of small meals, and are some free when u buy bottles of wine?

i really wanna try it but i would like to have an idea what im doing b4 jumping in feet first and looking ignorant.

there are pintxos which are basque style tapas and are generally seved on a toothpick - they can range from olives and pickles to some fantastic concoctions eg banana wrapped in bacon, battered cod drizzled with hot sauce, roast peppers, quails eggs and black pudding, and so on.
then there are tapas which are served on a saucer sized plate. they can be anything from typical ibiza salad, to deep fried green peppers, to fried octopus, to cod in sauce, to stuffed aubergines, to anchovies in oil and lemon.
tapas have a big brother called racion (ration) which is basically the same as above but in a bigger portion. also about this size is a tabla -which is a selection of different cold cured meat like serrano ham, various sausages' or spanish cheeses.
obviously the food will vary depending on which bar you end up in - i like to go on 'tapeo,' a paseo of tapas, a drink here, a bite to eat there etc etc.

sadly i don't think there are any places in ibiza where tapas are given away with a drink - you need to go to the mainland for that.

Places on the mainland where they give away tapas are pretty rare too, even though that's how the whole thing was supposed to have started.

Tapas bars are actually one of the least intimidating ways of sampling local food because most of it's out on display in a glass case that runs along the bar. You can get by just pointing at what you want (although a phrase book can be quite handy as some of the delicacies are not immediately recognisable ;) )

here are 4 places close to each other to tapeo

xicu - bartolome rosello - traditional tapas
lizarran - same block as xicu - tapas on sticks - help yourself and they count the sticks you have at the end of the night for your bill
sa botiga - round the corner on ignacio wallis - good for cured meats
es cafeto - opposite sa botega - ditto

this is just a sample - there are great tapas everywhere all over the island (yes, even the west end, for all you who have never even been) from the big city to small country bars.

ibiza1timer said:
whats a Tapas anyways? 8)

"Tapa" means lid or cover in Spanish. Originally it referred to a piece of bread or ham that was put over the top of a glass of wine to keep out the dust and flies. Over the years it's got rather fancier (as you can see from earlier posts). But, in short, "tapas" are Spanish bar snacks.

stephen said:
there are great tapas everywhere all over the island (yes, even the west end, for all
you who have never even been)
correct!! ;)

29192214-8972-02000180-.jpg

29192202-840a-02000180-.jpg

(both pictures taken this afternoon)

I adore tapas ... found a very very reasonably priced and friendly place in Ibiza town .. just to the left (as you're looking at it) of the NEW Base Bar ... dunno what it was called, but it had the most flavoursome sangria .. and some very nice tapa (nibblies) at an incredibly low price!

McRackin ? ? ?

are you sure that it was at the left of the new base bar (before it returned to its
old location)? :confused:

Back