Taking the plunge...

Worked over there for a few weeks last year. Had a great time.

8 quid a beer mind lol.

However some of the people I knew over there would bring back beers on runs to certain ports/warehouses which were cheaper than Tesco's here!

Obviously you and your company must be safe for business as being out of work there is not an option!

I don't think Dubai is sustainable really, but who knows.

Still you could have made a fortune by then, and there is nothing stopping you coming back (or going elsewhere).

The place itsself is amazing!!!

Good Luck.

Wow exciting news - Dubai's not really my bag but know people who've gone over there and done similar thing and have really loved it - good luck :D

In defense of the UK (As a kiwi who came here ten years ago), I think it is a fantastic place that offers a wealth of opportunities and freedom that you don't get in many places.

It is far more liberal than a lot of places in the US and Europe, it has amazing range of entertainment, social and dining options. The health system means the whole population get a far better standard of healthcare then most countries and the vunerable are not left to die or suffer because they cannot afford private insurance.

Admittedly the weather is balls, but you are only ever a few hours from the sunshine if you have a passport.

I have lived in a few places Aus, the US, NZ, Spain and the UK. Each have had wonderful things going for them but none have compared to the variation and opportunity available right here.

There is a huge disconnect between what is portrayed in the media and the reality of day to day life and as traditional media continues to die a slow death they will continue to publish more and more startling, negative and outlandish articles in a desperate attempt to flog their tabloid product.

Anyway best wishes for your travel to Dubai, some people have made great lives there others have found it quite tough and very alien coming from a Western country.

It takes courage to change your situation when you feel in a rut, so I'm sure you will benefit from a new and exciting environment.

all the best to you Jam Man - hope all works out

I guess you've done shedloads of research already on adapting to the heat, cultural differences and the political situation in that part of the world - if it was me, they would be my main areas of concern

out of interest, what are you most disenchanted with in the UK?

To be honest it's the compound effect of a few factors:

The weather sucks balls (and yes, I have been to Dubai in July ;) )
Lack of quality education for the Mini Jams (every day there's a new frustration)
The amount of tax we pay (then get demands for more by the incompetent HMRC)
Rising costs of..... well everything and a Government / media / society that's unable to grasp reality.

But above all that sits a feeling that we're just treading water, going nowhere and moving a day nearer old age.

We know there's a risk that it could end in tears, but the positives outweigh the negatives 5 times over, at least on paper so we just have to give it a go.

Also heard this week that my old school friend who is based in Oman is moving to Dubai in the Summer with his job so we're quite excited about having a buddy close by as that will limit the feeling of living away from our roots.

Thanks for all the messages of support. Even though it's "just the internet", it means a lot.

8)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/02/07/batstone.romania.sex.trade/index.html?iref=allsearch

You can look at Europe, middle east, Asia and the USA and find people in the same conditions. Human trafficking is a global problem.

The trouble with Dubai is the whole place seems to be built on slave labour.

The Independent article made me quite angry when I read it. I know many of our cheap consumer goods are linked to exploitation, but there's just something wrong with the contrast of huge wealth and an impounded underclass in the one place. Yeah, you get human trafficking everywhere, but where else does it seem quite so condoned? Certainly not in the UK.

Come on guys, put the soap boxes away for a second, this thread is about Jam sharing his good news!

I wish him all the best!

Dubai isn't my cup of tea (Too sandy for one), and temperatures I could never adjust to.
Would love to move to the white isle though. :)

Yep to Mark B.

Jam Man, you've got a Q7, sell that and spend it at Hunters Steak house.

Bar 360, poss my fave bar. As the name suggests, its plonked in the sea.

275x230_Nightlife_360-Bar_01_tcm233-441628.jpg

Watch the fountains from the bar at the residence, opposite the burj.

Go to Atlantis water park every weekend.

What a life!!

Come on guys, put the soap boxes away for a second, this thread is about Jam sharing his good news!

Im glad someone said it :rolleyes:

Few to many keyboard warriors :lol:

Hes leaving this p*ss hole country, we should all be kneeling and bowing to the man, i know im jealous 8)

oh piss of mark. yeah, oooooh ooooooh all hail what markB says, just cos he's funnier and always says what everyone is really thinking.

ba$tard

Im glad someone said it :rolleyes:

Few to many keyboard warriors :lol:

Hes leaving this p*ss hole country, we should all be kneeling and bowing to the man, i know im jealous 8)

Just because you take an interest in the world around you doesn't make you a keyboard warrior.

It's easy to knock Britain (and sometimes I do), but there's a lot about British life I like. I am a bit of a lefty, so it's unsurprising I find Dubai a bit of a turn off. I wouldn't enjoy living under Islamic laws either.

Maybe it's just your area you don't like? ;) One of my good mates lives down your way (well, Gillingham) and the town centres, etc are slightly rougher than what you get up here (although where I stay is far from posh).

Just because you take an interest in the world around you doesn't make you a keyboard warrior.

It's easy to knock Britain (and sometimes I do), but there's a lot about British life I like. I am a bit of a lefty, so it's unsurprising I find Dubai a bit of a turn off. I wouldn't enjoy living under Islamic laws either.

Maybe it's just your area you don't like? ;) One of my good mates lives down your way (well, Gillingham) and the town centres, etc are slightly rougher than what you get up here (although where I stay is far from posh).

Ooooo my response wasnt taken lightly ;)

Haha my area is surrounded by some right f**kin **** holes :lol:i aint gona deny that...

I mean the UK in general, the whole economy and how were being invaded with all sorts of foreigners....

i will allow australian me tho as they are fit :lol:

I mean the UK in general, the whole economy and how were being invaded with all sorts of foreigners....

i will allow australian me tho as they are fit :lol:

Many economies are messed up at the moment.

So to get away from the foreigners you want to go and live in a foreign country? *scratches head*

I would like to make clear, my comments about the country becoming a hell hole were purely based on the current governments all out effort to widen the gap between the rich and the poor and the falling apart state education system.

Have you checked out the remarkable ski slope in Dubai, Jam Man?

Many economies are messed up at the moment.

So to get away from the foreigners you want to go and live in a foreign country? *scratches head*

Gotta love how everything is cross examined on forums :rolleyes:

To sum up....when i walk in my town on my lunch break its like im in bl**dy poland
However if i were walk down my town and it felt like i were in austrailia i wouldnt be moaning haha :lol:

F**k it,il contradict what im saying coz im clearly ignorant :lol:

Gotta love how everything is cross examined on forums :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it - I have a reputation for being a lefty, liberal PITA on other forums. ;)

We had a lot of Eastern Europeans come in here (going by flights at our local airport & info I was seeing at my work), but they were pretty much invisible.

Back