Support your local shop!!!!

diver

For a long time now we had not had the fortune to have a small shop nearby to pop in for those small bits that you run out of mid week. Maybe a bottle of wine when we are feeling a bit stressed with work and we have run out.

I think its good to have a shop like this in the community, where the owner knows you and will have your favourite order ready as you step over the threshold. Knowing that your money will be reinvested locally, to hell with those large supermarkets!!!!

Well all my dreams have come true. TESCO EXPRESS opens this Saturday just a 5 min walk from Chez Moi. What a great idea! A scaled down supermarket on the site of my old local pub where many a fight was won and lost on the car park. I hope all goes well for them as there is a recession on and a lot of businesses are struggling.

It's called capitalism.

(...and I long for the day when all these major multiples go out of business also.)

your options are basically these

a. you go "it's sad, but life goes on" and then carry on perusing your tesco premium meal options for the night

b. you sneer and loudly and proudly broadcast how you only shop at your local organic tofu store

c. you take on tesco, guerrila-stylee and deposit a load of pubes in the baby food when nobody is looking

your options are basically these

a. you go "it's sad, but life goes on" and then carry on perusing your tesco premium meal options for the night

b. you sneer and loudly and proudly broadcast how you only shop at your local organic tofu store

c. you take on tesco, guerrila-stylee and deposit a load of pubes in the baby food when nobody is looking

I wish I could do B but sadly organic tofu stores cost the bloody earth (the vegetables are noticeably nicer though)...seems I'm not alone in that one because it shut down a month ago. :cry:

However, a Sainsbury's local has just opened by Bethnal Green tube which is wonderful news (so put me down for C).

(thankfully live opposite a cheap market stall and fishmonger so can easily avoid A.)

I used to be B but realised it was crazy spending nearly £100 for just two people.

So sadly I'm back my local sainsburys. Although I do buy my fruit and vag from Dalston market. Soooooo much cheaper!!!

Butchers, Fish mongers & farmers markets are just too expensive, sadly!

We have a local village post office / grocery store and by christ it's so very expensive. The people who run it are incredibly grumpy too, we seem to be still considered outsiders as we have only lived here five years! When we originally moved here we used to use the store and placed orders for papers / magazines and buy items simply to 'do our bit for the village'. I packed that game in a long time ago and would love to have a tesco express replace the god forsaken village post office:twisted::twisted::twisted:

We had a local independent shop, literally at the end of our road.

When Mrs Jam was pregnant with Mini Jam I she could call them and the owner would send his lad down to us with the odd essential item. Cash on the door and no delivery charge.

He ran it so well that EVERYONE used it. He worked long hours but earnt a good wage from it.

The business grew and he extended it into the next shop unit after planning was passed for his conversion. Then 6 Months later he cashed in and sold the whole lot to a large chain for a whacking amount.

Now living in a mahoosive house with a nice Merc on the drive.
:lol::lol:

Now living in a mahoosive house with a nice Merc on the drive.
:lol::lol:

I think Mr TESCO might have this. Maybe a small bar in his dining room as well with a small selection of standard spririts bought at cost. You can imagine him sitting down at the end of a long drive home and pouring himself a double double, a bit like Mike Baldwin used to when he was top of his game

I have had another look today whilst taking the mini deepseadivers to school (sorry Jam just liked that line)

Its got thousands of products under one roof apparently? I may go in and count them when i get time.

I dont see any ribbon to cut though. The opening isnt going to be as grand as I anticipated. Maybe Bernie Clifton or Stuart Hall to officiate?

It has a good sized car park as well so I could drive there in my slippers rather than walk.

fruit and vag from Dalston market.

puerile but :lol:

You can blame the Competition Commission on the sudden explosion of Tesco Express stores - it was deemed that larger supermarkets and smaller convenience stores were separate markets, thus Tesco was not a 'monopoly' in the market of smaller stores (even though they have some massive market share in larger stores) so they were allowed to go ahead and build as many 'express' stores as they want (whilst it's more difficult now for them to build larger ones).

The CC is quite pissed off at how it turned out (not necessarily best for the consumer) hence why Tesco's lost their recent battle trying to claim that the market for supermarkets is national and not local. So now there'll hopefully be curbs on them opening too many in a small local area and thus driving out other shops from business.

Trouble is, if I could actually buy reasonably priced food at 6.30pm on a weekday along with my other bits and bobs, I wouldn't shop at tesco. But all convenience stores are massively expensive. I do try where I can to get meat and all my 'international' ingredients from the Indian supermarket though, I love it there.

I do try where I can to get meat and all my 'international' ingredients from the Indian supermarket though, I love it there.
I shed a little tear every time I see one of those somewhere around London. Wish we had Asian (Indian or East Asian) markets around here :cry:

I shed a little tear every time I see one of those somewhere around London. Wish we had Asian (Indian or East Asian) markets around here :cry:

One of the few decent things about living in the UK, the diversity available is fantastic. Its one of the few things I mostly miss.

I've started making my own sushi - there is an amazing Asian shop in Shoreditch

Huge bottles of soy sauce. sweet chilli, etc for only £1.50

I need to learn to do this! Is it easy? I love sushi.

Problem = I get nervous preparing raw fish.

Do you have to tell your fish monger you're not going to cook it so he can select something fresh?

I need to learn to do this! Is it easy? I love sushi.

Problem = I get nervous preparing raw fish.

Do you have to tell your fish monger you're not going to cook it so he can select something fresh?

* Word of warning do not attempt doing it under the influence of alcohol. I had sticky rice and seaweed all over me!

Second attempt - yes it is fairly easy.

http://makemysushi.com/

Also check out videojugs on how to make it.

Tip - wet fingers before handling rice and also wet VERY SHARPE knife before cutting

Ask for sushi grade fish at fishmongers

Back