Studio 338 London

I visited Studio 338 for Music On back in February & was also sceptical like yourself after reading the reviews....

However, I found the reviews extremely over-dramatic - the search is like any other festival in the country - Yes, there are metal detectors but the search of narcotics is nothing out of the ordinary.

A group of six of us strolled through with all our supplies no problem - do not worry too much over it....

Thanks, my mind is slightly more at ease now ?. I have a history of having bouncers turn me away, plenty of times when not even very drunk whilst going in with visibly drunk mates though so i obviously have the look they don't like. Not sure i'll risk taking anything in though

You want to get into Studio 338, it's easy:
  1. Be polite.
  2. Be patient.
  3. Know who's playing - they use door pickers, they may ask.
  4. Mask any prior intoxication well and stow any contraband well.
  5. If you're more than 2 lads, then split into 2s some way from the venue and meet up again once inside. They have a tough time with gangs. Toolroom isn't likely to be an event targeted by gangs, but it's worth noting since the security will just have their 338 head on.
  6. Job done.

Going back to points 1 & 2. I've had it multiple times when I arrive that they will hold you at the door even if there isn't a queue and few people inside. This is a test to see your demeanour (and sobriety too I guess)

sounds like a decent club ruined by staff and clientele from what I’ve heard.
Sounds like this from those reviews. Most people i've spoken to about it like it so i guess they weren't picked on.

The door picking should work in our favour, maybe they actively don't let people in that don't look like they fit the vibe. Hopefully we don't arrive too late and end up stuck outside because it's 'full'

Going back to points 1 & 2. I've had it multiple times when I arrive that they will hold you at the door even if there isn't a queue and few people inside. This is a test to see your demeanour (and sobriety too I guess)
Thanks, that should all be good as i never get visibly wound up at all ?.

How discrete are we talking for contraband? Deciding whether to drop before or take some inside.

Also in general, when does it get busy or long events like 2pm-6am? Seeing a lot of people being turned away at like 11pm

Last edited:
You want to get into Studio 338, it's easy:
  1. Be polite.
  2. Be patient.
  3. Know who's playing - they use door pickers, they may ask.
  4. Mask any prior intoxication well and stow any contraband well.
  5. If you're more than 2 lads, then split into 2s some way from the venue and meet up again once inside. They have a tough time with gangs. Toolroom isn't likely to be an event targeted by gangs, but it's worth noting since the security will just have their 338 head on.
  6. Job done.
Or just pull your sweaterer up over your head and charge at the door .

It isn't that bad. Avoid any clothing with big logos too, Stone Island, Kenzo etc.... I've seen people wear it but they do seem to pay extra close attention.

Must of been about 6 times and it certainly is like you are entering a prison of war camp

My suggestion is how I always approach the doors. Enter with confidence, remove jackets or items without being asked to do so and confidentially approach and allow for a full search.
Mate of mine was pulled aside the last time we went and the bouncer took him into a separate room and tried a intimidation tactic - still allowed him in and he didn't give up his things

I think the staff are great at 338 in general and have been helped out twice before so I have nothing against them. They are doing a great job to be honest because the place is very safe and they don't mess around. The fire exit by the bar at the rear of the club has been used a couple of times

It isn't that bad. Avoid any clothing with big logos too, Stone Island, Kenzo etc.... I've seen people wear it but they do seem to pay extra close attention.
Why? Because of the "hooligan" tag? That died in the 00s

With it being based in London just wear anything with rainbow colours most likely get a que jump

Glad to report back that we got in and it was great! Best atmosphere i've seen in a club over here. The search by security was actually nothing, my mate said he got searched miles harder on a night with no big event. It was just a light frisk and in we went.

Be interesting to see if they can do what Sankeys East failed to do in that neck of the woods. It's a huge market there and with crossrail pending, it will surely open the east up.
I will reserve judgement until the project is clearer. Whilst I don't expect to be turned into an underground mecca, I think there's scope for a good compromise. Sugarhut in its last incarnation was ghastly. Best believe it's in safe hands with Dan Perrin and co. Though I do feel they will need to be savvy and not stray too far from the faux VIP, "Essex" model. Certainly I'll be watching with interest from afar (or across the water, as is the case).

Back