stivi's ibiza chronicles

I poured my heart out yesterday regarding the current state of affairs...

IBIZA - QUO VADIS?

this summer, with the mini-season we've had (or non-season for certain sectors), it has clearly shown us how fragile the entire economical structure is here on the balearics. it has shown us once more that without tourism, things look pretty bleak very quickly.

over the course of the last few months, I've read a lot of articles, plus, as lots of people had a lot of time on their hands, I've also read tons of social media posts as to how ibiza should evolve once we're past covid-19. and even though it weren't the majority of voices, I did see a lot of opinions that were championing and celebrating the 'quiet ibiza' of this year - or to be more specific, an ibiza without clubs, with a focus on familiar tourism and a departure from mass tourism generally.

as we are on our direct way into what's undoubtedly gonna be the longest ibiza winter ever, I've reflected a little on the past few months and after much consideration I've decided I'd like to share my own thoughts too. freedom of speech, isn't it. it's a long read, but I suppose a lot of people will have time and some might take interest, so here goes...

first off, I personally did understand the balearic government's initial approach not to open the big clubs. back in june, right after we were through the first covid wave, I think that was an understandable and reasonable approach. and, speaking about mass tourism, I personally do think that here on ibiza, we have reached a level of tourist numbers which shouldn't be raised any more (I'm referring to a normal year, not 2020!). personally I do support those who claim we shouldn't build any more hotels, villas etc - the annual groundwater low levels we get every summer, the heavy traffic we experience and the sea water quality in certain areas are a clear indication that we shouldn't strain our island any more than we already do. and I definitely support that we all need to make efforts in getting more sustainable and ecological with anything we do. I want to be clear, I do think we all can and must do better.

now back to ibiza 2020. I know lots of people won't want to read or acknowledge this, but this summer, with the clubs shut, it has also clearly shown us how much the island thrives off them when they're open - or in other words, how much the island's economy suffers when they're not! I know lots of people will disagree with the following, but like it or not, it's still the nightlife that's ibiza's USP. I'll admit that the nightlife can cause issues (read on for that), but on an international level it's what draws people to the island like a magnet. I've been living here all year around for a decade now and have been coming here for nearly 20 years and I love all facets of ibiza. I love the quiet side and I love the winter here. but let's face the facts, 20-25% of the people that visit our island in a normal year do it mainly because of the nightlife. it's not their only reason to visit ibiza, but it's one of the main factors that makes people book a trip.

this summer was a special one - yes, lots of people have enjoyed seeing ibiza in a different light and with a different vibe and tempo. and I personally know a lot of people who usually come to ibiza to go clubbing (not only, but it's one of their main reasons) and who've come in july or august this year to support the island and/or because they've got friends living here. I'm sure we all have friends that came and we are all glad they did (unlike other summers when we never really have time for them). but I know a lot of those people wouldn't come back next year, paying the same prices, if the clubs are shut. we definitely got some goodwill this summer and it's good that lots of people discovered a different side of ibiza, but I don't think that goodwill will last forever.

I've read various opinion pieces on the subject that ibiza should depart from nightlife and change its touristic model into a more familiar style and push all year round tourism. while I personally understand the approach, I think we're in a difficult place for that given our competition. one, our neighbour islands have better cards for that than we do. while ibiza has lovely beaches, menorca wins that trophy hands down. plus, I do think they've done something right by putting a cap on hotels and building generally. but we need to consider that this had happened a long time ago, it's not a measure they've taken in the past few years. so, no matter the efforts we take, menorca will always keep being the number one choice for families on the balearics (and understandably so). and if we're talking about pushing all year around tourism, it's mallorca that wins this trophy. with its capital palma - a proper city that really offers everything you could ask for - and its tramuntana mountain ridge which is perfect for hikers & cyclists, I'll say the same I said about menorca and its beaches earlier: no matter our efforts, mallorca will keep on being the number one spot for a balearic winter visit. so while I definitely think we should support efforts to prolong the season and keep more stuff open in winter (and of course also generally be open to families, don't get me wrong!), I genuinely think we need to stay realistic and acknowledge that those efforts won't help too much looking at our annual total result.

another fact / issue is the pricing. yes it's true, this year, some of the hotels that opened have made some really good offers, especially to the spanish national market, to attract folks. but I'm not telling anyone any news here: the price level on ibiza is really high. and who is happy to pay for them apart from the rich that have the cash anyway? exactly, the DINKs that wanna come here because of the clubs. if we wanted to turn into a non-clubbing destination, the pricing level would have to go down massively overall. and I believe very few entrepreneurs would be happy to do so... also, above I only compared ibiza with the rest of the balearic islands. but the competition obviously doesn't stop there - in the entire mediterrranean area there are lots of other nice places that, like it or not, simply have a far better value-for-money ratio. what they don't have is our nightlife.

then there are the most radical opinions, those that think that, apart from shutting the clubs we should actually lower and limit the numbers of visitors the island gets. in the entire world, there are only a few places that have successfully put a cap on their arrival numbers. the perfect example is the galapagos islands. the tourist numbers are heavily limited and because of that it's also very expensive, but with its faunal biodiversity they've got something absolutely unique. now, if you shut the clubs here (and take the USP away) and limit the tourist numbers, good luck with that...in a few years you will be able to eliminate that limit again because people will stay away anyway.

part II

one more thing before I get to the nightlife. in the two months were we had some kind of season this year, something interesting happened. because almost all entertainment options were gone, people were far more active (no hangover days around the pool). everyone had a rental car and went discovering. so far so good, it's something I actually encourage. but it's shown us some negative consequences too. the es vedrá lookout point above cala d'hort for example, this summer it has been busier than ever before - and this even though the island was far from being full! I understand that instagram and google maps etc are partly to blame for this, but it has also shown us that it's actually maybe not that bad if some people stay around their hotel pools and not all our secret (and not so secret anymore) spots get crowded.

now let's speak about clubbing. firstly, yes I am a clubber, I live and breathe clubbing and the electronic music industry (which is currently facing a worldwide crisis) is very dear to me. so yes, I'll happily admit I'm biased. and I personally think that this summer, ibiza has been missing its unique spark it usually has. the clubbing world brings people together from so many walks of life, to me it's something that makes our scene really stand out, and whenever I was out and about this summer, I saw that this spark, the colour and, up to a certain degree, the craziness, it was simply missing.

back to where I said I understood the government's initial approach not to open the clubs. yes, I understood, but I also think they made a mistake by not changing their approach later in the summer. because the current picture is pretty clear: the balearics are in a second wave of infections, even though the clubs stayed shut. instead, a lot of private parties happened where certainly some people got infected. and by now, various european governments are actually admitting that it's not concerts and club events that are the main place where people get infected, but rather it is family gatherings, barbeques, parties at home etc. basically, places where everyone gets careless and no one would ever wear a mask.
the thing is, everyone (very much including the government) knew villa parties would happen this year. YOU CAN'T STOP PEOPLE FROM HAVING A GOOD TIME (whether it's a good idea to do it this year is another matter). and in a way, the whole thing reminded me of the afterhours prohibition that came into place in 2008. up until that year, ibiza saw the odd villa party here and there, but since space was open during the day, there wasn't such a big need for it and so, villa parties weren't a problem. once the afterhours got prohibited, that's when villa parties really started to proliferate here on the island. I actually have some understanding for people that are bothered by villa parties. even if I love a good villa party myself, I understand neighbours can be bothered. and similar to that decision back then to ban afters rather than to have them in one safe place, I think it was an ill-advised decision and a disservice to everyone to completely ban the nightlife this year. I'm not saying we should have had packed dancefloors this year, but...

in switzerland, clubs have been open (with restrictions) all summer. and even though there have been a few infections here and there (it's undeniable some will happen), there were no super-spreading events. even the spanish government has changed their tune a little in this regard in the meantime and is now simply saying it's a sector that's difficult to control. but yeah, at the same time, allowing bullfights with a few thousand spectators in the stadium, that was apparently alright and safe and no problem to control eh...
fact is, other countries showed and are showing us that it was/is possible to hold events. either socially distanced, in pods/bubbles where you get to dance with a certain number of friends, or even with masks on the dancefloor. but flat out refusing it all summer, no...sorry guys, that simply wasn't good enough.

I'm not saying any of this in an angry way although I understand it can probably be perceived as such. what I think and what I wish is that we can and have to do much better next year. I don't think 2021 will be back to normal just yet (I wish, but I don't think it's realistic to think so) and with that in mind, I think we should all have a good look at what's happened this summer and make sure we do better next year (PCR tests at the airport anyone? our season would still be up and running had we done that...)

ibiza needs to start properly acknowledging that the nightlife isn't just a 'problem'. it's one of the main reasons people travel here. in various european cities (berlin, amsterdam, london for example) you've now got night mayors, people that liaise between the nightlife industry and the government. those cities have publicly recognised that the nightlife enriches their cultural offer and brings money - not just to the clubs, but to hotels, gastronomy etc. here in ibiza, we've got two different associations (that's an issue our end I think) but I personally feel the nightlife industry has been demonized for the past decade. in my opinion, after seeing the disastrous results of this summer, it's time the local government acknowledges that, unless you wanna bulldoze 30% of our hotels and get rid of maybe 10-20 thousand island residents, the island needs a working nightlife industry (because, as explained above, I truly cannot see the island changing its touristic model). one, stop blaming the clubs for issues they didn't cause (the clubs aren't responsible for the proliferation of villa parties and the clubs aren't responsible for the current covid numbers on the island). two, leave the past behind. yes, clubs have made mistakes, but so have politicians, house and business owners all over the island.

I've said it further up, the ibiza winter is gonna be very long. and I really think it's time the industry and the government start NOW to work together on how we can improve the situation for 2021. because, whether you like it or not, because of the covid situation, we really are all in this together now. the clubs need to take rules seriously - now more than ever - but ibiza also needs to embrace the clubbing industry rather than simply tolerate it. accept that on a global scale it is what draws people to ibiza and start working now on ways we can provide a safe experience next year.

Great post stivi as always from the heart.. I don't think the big brands and international DJs will be back anytime soon, you saw how fast most jumped ship for other places like Mykonos and what went on in Croatia, now with people looking at Albania and Turkey for it's daytime clubbing, cheap prices, beautiful beaches/outdoor clubbing and good hotels I think those countries are going to really try and get something happening while Ibiza will struggle in 2021.. lots of Spanish and local DJs might now get a chance to play Ibiza if it has a season but would that be enough to fill clubs week in week out if the only have the odd guest coming to play..and of course I could be completely wrong AGAIN...

Great post stivi as always from the heart.. I don't think the big brands and international DJs will be back anytime soon, you saw how fast most jumped ship for other places like Mykonos and what went on in Croatia, now with people looking at Albania and Turkey for it's daytime clubbing, cheap prices, beautiful beaches/outdoor clubbing and good hotels I think those countries are going to really try and get something happening while Ibiza will struggle in 2021.. lots of Spanish and local DJs might now get a chance to play Ibiza if it has a season but would that be enough to fill clubs week in week out if the only have the odd guest coming to play..and of course I could be completely wrong AGAIN...
Yeah it's a concern of mine, while more local and varied DJs would be good in a way, will they bring in the mega cash the clubs and island was used to? (Never mind the ibiza local gov tried killing off good little bars with DJs/music down the west end?)

It's very easy to enter a downward spiral. Not enough people to fill the hotels for them to be viable, so a few shut. But then you get areas with "gaps" in them.

I guess we see it domestically on the high street when shops and bars close. Once you get over a certain threshold the rest shut up shop too as the area has fallen out of favour, then you need local government to reinvent it again.

Think key is either to get in before that happens and reinvent it and most likely drop the premium prices, but would that be enough income for the local economy to keep functioning on the level it currently does (2019)??‍♂️

We know Alot of the brands like Paradise, Guetta and places like hi have all these guys by the Balls. and with contacts too . But will that be enough..

We know Alot of the brands like Paradise, Guetta and places like hi have all these guys by the Balls. and with contacts too . But will that be enough..
I guess it depends on the 18-30 somethings. Where they think is the places to go clubbing (not counting festivals here) and the DJs and promoters will follow the money. (Which is probs what @stivi was alluding to about USP)

Us 'oldies' may usually have more disposable cash, but how often and how many go out spending it in clubs.?‍♂️

Madeira is the shining example of how to do it - PCR tests at the airport for everyone and still off the UK quarantine list despite Portugal going back on ! Perhaps the fact that it doesn't attract young people is a contributing factor to how successful their measures have been.

This...

ibiza needs to start properly acknowledging that the nightlife isn't just a 'problem'. it's one of the main reasons people travel here.

And this...

I really think it's time the industry and the government start NOW to work together on how we can improve the situation for 2021.

...are the stand outs of @stivi post imo. The island has been heading to a crossroads for a number of years and Covid has exacerbated that. Look at the state of pdb. Look at the home clubbing tourists in eivissa. Look at the gradual closing of the west end and gentrification of San An.

The island is therefore in danger of missing the masses that made it popular in the first place. Without the clubbers the economy will fail. I think it extends beyond dinkys though, the single bloke fraternity appear to partially dominate the skyline. It’s them and the dinkys and the families that drive the Ibizan economy imo. But one of those groups has been getting marginalised. It feels that there is a significant clash between politics, community and the tourists. A coherent strategy is required.

Last edited:
Back