Spotlight Wine Club

WeLuvIbiza

All this talk of detox and non drinking, makes one turn to drink...

Seeking recomendations for any decent wine, budget, mid range and special occasions.

Prefer dry crisp whites or a nice shiraz

Many of my favourites seem to have gone down the pan quality wise, most recently;

Pouilly Fume from Tesco (£9.99) at xmas, used to love this wine, definitely not up to usual standards.

Is it still possible to get a half decent bottle of wine sub £10?

Just been checking on the price of another wine we used to buy often a Yarra Valley Shiraz, now priced £20 :(

Any recomendations appreciated :D

If you have an Asda nearby get some Tunante Rioja Joven,it's lovely stuff.

£7.47 a bottle OR 3 for £10 :D

If you have an Asda nearby get some Tunante Rioja Joven,it's lovely stuff.

£7.47 a bottle OR 3 for £10 :D

Blimey, I would drive out of my way to get £22 worth of wine for a tenner :) Will give this a try, we don't drink a lot of rioja as a rule.

I used to sell wine for a living a few years back. Didn't do it for long as it wasn't really my thing. I never got into the high end very expensive stuff but more focused on mid to high shelf Supermarket, kind of £10 to £30 a bottle.

Do you understand the classifications in popular countries such as VDP, D'OC, AC, IGT and so on?

Grape varietals are a good place to start but no guarantee of quality. Sometimes a well blended wine can be more successful than a single varietal.

New World has been the rage for the last 10 years but there is also some good stuff coming out of the traditional wine making countries.

Italy for example, particularly Sicilly had an influx of Aussie winemakers a few years back and as a result they are kicking out some impressive vintages now.

Conversely Chilean Chardonnay, New Zealand Suvignon Blanc and Californian Zinfandels can be a cracking drink!

Some recommendations:

White Cloud Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (NZ)

Verramonte Chilean Chardonnay as a low cost good bottle

Ravenswood Lodi Zinfandel 2008

enjoying Torres vina Sol at the moment (well not right now as that would be the start of a slippery slope at 9.30!)
very light drinkable wine (and thats saying a lot from somebody who would have never touched white wine a few years ago)

Chianti classico does it for me. The wine goes well with different food prices vary from modest up to are you taking the piss? It can be enjoyed on any budget.

enjoying Torres vina Sol at the moment (well not right now as that would be the start of a slippery slope at 9.30!)
very light drinkable wine (and thats saying a lot from somebody who would have never touched white wine a few years ago)

Probably our best white wine of all time. They do a Gran Vina Sol, ever tried it?

No I don't think so

We had drunk it for a while and whilst in Selfridges asked the wine bloke for his thoughts on a decent white, he said vina sol is one of the best around at moment and for less than £6/bottle (or less when you get a crate from costco) we have to agree!

Notice both ends of my booze shop market!!

Call me stingey, I only ever buy Tesco or Morrisons red wine on offer at half price :lol:

Hey, that's not being stingey but infact economic and i'm exactly the same when on my own. I also only buy the cheapest wines from our local Cora/ Auchan or Carrefour Market as afterall why pay extra when you know it'll end up down the toilet:)

To be fair you can get some really nice wines. St. Emillion springs to mind at £7 half price ;)

YES.

I love a drop.

Been reading up on my bordeaux classification recently so am chomping at the bit, mates got a me a bottle of a 4th growth paulliac for my birthday once & i've had a decent pomerol once upon a time.

However, re the supermarkets as a rule a 5 quid bottle of wine is worth 5 quid, be it half price, 3 for 10 quid etc etc.

However the one DJ Soulman picks out (Roc de Lussac, Lussac-St. Emilion?? - yellow label) is an exception, often 15 quid, reduced to half, it's lovely & better than anything i've had at that price.

Dsc01974.jpg

Also Tesco finest San Juan, about 6-7 quid - highly recommended.
IDShot_126x150.jpg

Back