Spotlight Skiers and Boarders

Considering taking the missus skiing over Xmas, any advice on best place for beginners? I guess I'll have to let her have lessons with some hunky instructor for the first day or two:spank:

What about getting her lessons at the indoor Ski place at Hemel Hampstead mate?

http://www.thesnowcentre.com

Erin and I had them there before we went so when we got to the slopes we where good to go. We did have lessons out there but they were next to useless as the instructor would talk for 10 min in French then say 5 words of English and let us get on with it.

What about getting her lessons at the indoor Ski place at Hemel Hampstead mate?

http://www.thesnowcentre.com

Erin and I had them there before we went so when we got to the slopes we where good to go. We did have lessons out there but they were next to useless as the instructor would talk for 10 min in French then say 5 words of English and let us get on with it.

Sounds like a plan....

If your going to get lessons in a french resort I would get them from a private company rather than the national french ESF (the guys in red) if you want to get the most out of it. A beginner crash course at a snowdome will be a massive help.

Resortwise (ive only been to france in europe) it depends what you want out of the holiday?? do you want to just ski , crash out n cook for yourselves , or go on the lash after skiing , or have a nice village to walk around as opposed to a 'resort' with just apartment blocks , do you want other activities to do besides skiing?

If your going to get lessons in a french resort I would get them from a private company rather than the national french ESF (the guys in red) if you want to get the most out of it. A beginner crash course at a snowdome will be a massive help.

Resortwise (ive only been to france in europe) it depends what you want out of the holiday?? do you want to just ski , crash out n cook for yourselves , or go on the lash after skiing , or have a nice village to walk around as opposed to a 'resort' with just apartment blocks , do you want other activities to do besides skiing?

Ski, ski, ski. I always go catered chalets so cooking not needed. I huess I just wondered where has the best slopes for the missus to learn.....

Just booked Chamonix for Mid March next year 8)

Might get a bit of practice in over the next few weeks ;)

http://www.skidubai.com/

fa303a33.jpg

Not much snow around at the mo, apparently. Anyone know any good sites for updates on where looking likely to get some?

europe doesnt get much snow untill well into december with many resorts not open till about the 10th or so , so its not unusual

i used to use this website
http://www.snow-forecast.com/

you can only rely on it up to a few days as all it takes is a few degrees higher temp and u have rain instead of bonne neige

high resorts like Tignes and Deux Alps in france are safe bets or Saas Fee in Switzerland , Mayhrhoffen in Austria. Resorts with Glaciers basically

Booked Les Deux Alpes this morning!:D:D And bought all new ski gear yesterday.

This missus is very, very excited. As am I, because she's the first gf I've taken skiing that I know will enjoy it and not make a complete pain the arse of herself.:lol:

ooooohh! Have always wanted to go there! full repoert please

Will report back.

Have booked lesson for the first time ever as well. The missus wanted beginners one's so seeing as I'd be waiting around for her or skiing solo, I've booked some intermediate ones.

Really looking forward to it, although I don't take instruction well, so my lessons could be fun!

well france has one of the best starts to the season donkeys years!
How was it Buckers?? (or havnt u gone yet?)
Im going to the snowdome in Hemel tonight , first time on a board since 2008 i think. If all goes well i might be going for a month in tignes end of feb (toss up between that n thailand)
Just hope the ankle holds up!

well france has one of the best starts to the season donkeys years!
How was it Buckers?? (or havnt u gone yet?)
Im going to the snowdome in Hemel tonight , first time on a board since 2008 i think. If all goes well i might be going for a month in tignes end of feb (toss up between that n thailand)
Just hope the ankle holds up!

Really, really good. Xmas Eve - New Years Eve. Dumped down until our first day and then sunshine all week. Missus picked it up ok. I had intermediate lessons while she had beginners ones and I had a go at boarding for the first time.

I skiied off piste through a forest as well8)

Really, really good. Xmas Eve - New Years Eve. Dumped down until our first day and then sunshine all week. Missus picked it up ok. I had intermediate lessons while she had beginners ones and I had a go at boarding for the first time.

I skiied off piste through a forest as well8)

How did you like snow boarding?

Well i wont be going for a month (thailand instead) but got a cheeky long weekend at val thorens just booked for 3rd feb. Condiditions so far have been the best for many years!

This is my first year in I-don't-know-how-long I haven't been to the mountains. :( :(

Shame, because I can go for the day from where I live. The snow at the nearest resort hasn't been that great so far. I need to book something!!

Back