Spotlight Skiers and Boarders

have been a couple times , my thoughts:

the whole area is maaaasive! More ground than you could cover in a week.The point being its not always worth buying the whole area pass as there will be places you will never go (but its nice to have the option).

Portes du Soleil thrives when its a good season and remains cold lower down. As Avoriaz at 1850 is the highest resort , many of the other runs are below it so if theres a warm spell the lower places are closed and Avoriaz gets very busy.

Realistically the places you will go are Avoriaz , Morzine , Les Crosets , Les Gets and perhaps Chatel.

I remember one time going quite far afield and having to get one f the last draglifts up to make a connection and a mate came off the drag so we're waiting at the top thinking we're gona get stuck in Switzerland for the night. Not fun , so if your gona go far you have to plan it.

Ive always stayed in Avoriaz.You either love it or hate it. Its a wooden , man made station with no cars and quite surreal. Eating / going out is expensive and bars abit rubbish.Morzine is a propper village so way more amenities and atmosphere

Im a snowboarder so we may have had different priorities to a group of skiers. Also Ive never really eaten on the mountain so cant comment on that (yes we were abit pikey)

Its a quick transfer from `geneva , very handy

any specific info you need?

have been a couple times , my thoughts:

the whole area is maaaasive! More ground than you could cover in a week.The point being its not always worth buying the whole area pass as there will be places you will never go (but its nice to have the option).

Portes du Soleil thrives when its a good season and remains cold lower down. As Avoriaz at 1850 is the highest resort , many of the other runs are below it so if theres a warm spell the lower places are closed and Avoriaz gets very busy.

Realistically the places you will go are Avoriaz , Morzine , Les Crosets , Les Gets and perhaps Chatel.

I remember one time going quite far afield and having to get one f the last draglifts up to make a connection and a mate came off the drag so we're waiting at the top thinking we're gona get stuck in Switzerland for the night. Not fun , so if your gona go far you have to plan it.

Ive always stayed in Avoriaz.You either love it or hate it. Its a wooden , man made station with no cars and quite surreal. Eating / going out is expensive and bars abit rubbish.Morzine is a propper village so way more amenities and atmosphere

Im a snowboarder so we may have had different priorities to a group of skiers. Also Ive never really eaten on the mountain so cant comment on that (yes we were abit pikey)

Its a quick transfer from `geneva , very handy

any specific info you need?

That's good info sir thanks. Sounds perfect. We're looking for 8 hours skiing a day, and as I'm the baby of the group at 36, night clubs are not required. Decent acomodation with a sauna and chalet hosts to cook dinner etc a must. Even pubs aren't really required - my travel pals are all pub owners plus the guy who runs their security. They are happy to avoid licensed premises for a week!

Avoriaz has more apartment block buildings than chalets , its not that big a place. For a Chalet you will probs have more luck in Morzine or Les Gets

these guys are quite good and you can get some really good deals last minute
http://www.alpineelements.co.uk

Also Ive never really eaten on the mountain so cant comment on that (yes we were abit pikey)

Nothing beats pulling up a pew with a good view of the snow park with a rucksack full of squashed (coz I've fell over so many times) home made ham & cheese baguettes, a Snickers bar and water that tastes like rubber from your camel back.....I kind of wish we were going this year however I'm going to NYC instead so I won't be tooooo sad :D

Nothing beats pulling up a pew with a good view of the snow park with a rucksack full of squashed (coz I've fell over so many times) home made ham & cheese baguettes, a Snickers bar and water that tastes like rubber from your camel back.....I kind of wish we were going this year however I'm going to NYC instead so I won't be tooooo sad :D

I'm going there too!:p

*ducks*

:eek:

I think the longest I've managed is about 5. Once.

Have to admit, my apres ski ends at midnight these days. I used to go right through and ski drunk (irresponsible I know, but I was young etc etc) but there is no way my body would take that now!

I know a friend of a friend who has a place for rent in Morzine.

Around £750 a week for a 1 bed apartment with sofa bed in the lounge. Sleeps 4.

We stayed about 5 years ago and Minimarc has pretty much nailed it.

:)

I know a friend of a friend who has a place for rent in Morzine.

Around £750 a week for a 1 bed apartment with sofa bed in the lounge. Sleeps 4.

We stayed about 5 years ago and Minimarc has pretty much nailed it.

:)

Sounds good for a smaller group of young un's Jammy. We need space for eight big lumps and svelte me :)lol:) with plenty of creature comforts!

when are you looking at going?

@BG - We found a new baggette that almost gets better with abit of squashing! 2/3 frankfurters heated up , melt cheese on , cover with ketchup (the french tangy kind) Keeps your leg warm for abit whike its hot in tin foil! Served me well for months in France and Canada!

when are you looking at going?

@BG - We found a new baggette that almost gets better with abit of squashing! 2/3 frankfurters heated up , melt cheese on , cover with ketchup (the french tangy kind) Keeps your leg warm for abit whike its hot in tin foil! Served me well for months in France and Canada!

Current thoughts are first week in March

MiniMarc summed it up for the french side; I am familiar with the swiss side. we live 40-50 minutes drive from portes du soleil.
Les Crosets has some challenging slopes, it gets crowded on week ends with the locals (us).
Champéry has some good restaurants on the slopes, quiet pricey though. The skiing is ok.
Morgins is family resort, quiet boring runs.

If you are coming from the french side, I would say les Crosets is best for skiing. Chavanettes is a challenging run.

We ski Châtel sometimes; the hors piste is cool if you know the spots, but we prefer Avoriaz and Morzine; the skiing is far better.

As Minimarc mentionned it; the Portes du soleil ski pass is a good option but don't forget the ski lift queues. The lifts close early. You have to start very early if you don't want to take a taxi cross-border, to go back to your home base.

Any questions?

The Paradiski area is another to consider (Les Arc and La Plagne)
You used to be able to get a Eurostar straight to the base town Bourg St Maurice

The Paradiski area is another to consider (Les Arc and La Plagne)
You used to be able to get a Eurostar straight to the base town Bourg St Maurice

You still can mate. The only time I went Skiing was to Les Arc 1800 as one of my pals has a small apartment there we borrowed.

I thought it was excellent but I have nothing to compare it too

Considering taking the missus skiing over Xmas, any advice on best place for beginners? I guess I'll have to let her have lessons with some hunky instructor for the first day or two:spank:

Back