spotlight server slow?

every hour the forum tries to get two of our rss feeds and post topics to certain forums to allow comments. if you happened to be visiting the forum at this time, then it will have seemed like treacle. at other times it was running fine.

the reason was related to the the server upgrade last weekend:

pre-upgrade i was testing the new server by editing its hosts file to temporarily view some of the domains before switching. after the change someone (not me mam!) forgot to change the hosts file back again, so internally the server got in a pickle (i think that's the technical phrase) trying to fetch content from the domain ibiza-spotliight.com.

it was easy to miss and just one the reasons why upgrading servers give me sleepless nights ;)

p.s. i hope you have all entered our facebook competition and made sure all your friends have too! free everything: flights, hotel, transfers and tickets to the opening parties. see the big banner at the top of this page :)

p.s. i hope you have all entered our facebook competition and made sure all your friends have too! :)

Hardly use the aforementioned social networking site but i've decided anyway to include Ibiza Spotlight (i won't be entering the competition) on my little used facebook page and think i've managed on sharing/ promoting Spotlight amongst a few people and their many hundreds of friends :)

that's enough to ruin my weekend ;) i can't replicate the mistake from where i am - is it always slow? or just sometimes?

Bizare.

On two pc's running win xp & one IE7.0 the other IE8.0, site is unuseable from either machine, page loading takes two minutes plus.

On a laptop running windows 7 64 bit, running ie 7.0 is super zippy.

ouch - on my mac and vista machine all is fine. i need more investigation. thanks for infos both

At home: Intel quad core, 4gb ram, win 7 ultimate ed, IE8

At work: high spec video editing PC (not sure exact spec)

Website slow on both PCs

But i have an HTC Desire phone and it works fine on that even on 3G

Also works fine on my iPod Touch

we still can't pinpoint this. the server techs think it might be a routing issue with the UK. if it is still slow please let me know the country you are in (city as ell if possible).

thanks

UK - Leeds

The routing theory doesn't fit with my scenario?

PC 1 - win xp - ie 7.0 - isp=talktalk - 2gb ram

PC2 - win xp - ie 8.0 - isp=andrews and arnold - 2gb ram

both the above run so slow it is hard to use the forum.

Laptop - win 7 (64bit) ie 7.0 - isp (connected to either of the above) - greased lightening. 4gb ram

For slow read, as previously mentioned, minutes to load a page. The blue background is visible, the page simply takes several minutes to load.

Slow for me too.... in London.

Mainly the initial front page which takes ages to load. Once you get into the board its not as bad but definitely slower than before.

Back