Spotlight Running Club

Fingers crossed all being well I'll get close to it. I'm doing the Manchester marathon so nice and flat.
I'm looking at getting some overseas ones in the diary booked in for 2016.

@WeLuvIbiza Definitely one to think about in the future but not gonna happen this year! I've got too much on at work, just had a week in Barca and had to replace my car this year. I was hoping to have the savings for a year out in Australia by the autumn, and this year is flying by!

Which is your running club?

I ask only because as a young pup, I used to idolise Brendan Foster to the extent I wrote to Jim 'l Fix it every week asking to run a lap of Gateshead track with BF!

Yours is a great story, long may you continue running for fun :)
Good grief! 4 years since I was last on this site, and yes, I'm still 'running' (jogging lol) and DJing for a living and I'm 63 years old now! Only do The Blaydon Race these days. Have changed my running club since last here, I now run for Blackhill Bounders. It's the biggest club in this area with over 200 members, plus we look after Run England that has around another 100 members.

Last time I was in Ibiza I took my running kit and ran 5-6 miles every day on my own just north of San Antonio. I studied Google Earth before my trip. Loved it and will definitely do it again next time I'm out there.

Manchester Marathon ran yesterday in 3:00:36 :D:mad:.
Very happy with that obviously, a tad gutted I was that close to sub 3.
I only managed to run 22miles over my 3 taper weeks due to a niggle and was worried I might not make the start due to this so really can't complain.
I had hoped to stalk the 3:00pacer but couldn't get close, started next to 3:30 and had to push on to get to my pace.
Garmin ended up being a 1/4mile out at mile 17 and was all over the place until 25 which messed with my head a bit.
A really great race though, well organised, get support and very flat!

Great running Evo, GFA for London? Had you known accurate time/ distance, could you have pushed enough to go sub 3:00?

I found the pacers I have used/ followed run quite a lot below the advertised time! Valencia I tailed the 4:30 guy until I could hold on no more and thought I was going to be 4:30+, ended up 4:24 and the 4:30 had left me way behind! Trying for sub 1:50 hm in Bcn a few years ago, within 200 yards of the start both pacers had let go of their balloons!

A few friends last year and this did Manchester and really rave about how good the race is, think it's only the third running of the race?

Great running Evo. I've given up with following pacers in the big races, they've been all over the place from what I've experienced and usually have a big crowd just behind them. I find there's much more space if you're in between pacers. Unlucky on the few seconds over. I had the same at Barca, I got the pacing spot on according to my Garmin but it measured 26.5 so that accounted for the 70 seconds I missed my target by.

Physio tomorrow to get my knee and hip looked at. I feel like I'm back to where I was before my training for Barca, I can feel that I'm dropping my hip to protect an injury on that side and it's causing pain in the hip flexors. I've been getting out on my bike and crashing out some 30+ milers but it doesn't compare to running.

Yeah GFA for London & Boston so there's 2 i'll be considering for next spring.

I thought i was just over a minute off the pace at half way (act time was 1:29:37), then had a few miles that were around 7:20 (according to my garmin) so didn't think i could make the time back up.
Did do a quicker last mile and my legs felt good when i kicked on so if i had been fully aware i think i could have made it. Gives me something to aim for still now though.

There has been a manchester marathon for years but the route changed a few years ago i think. It's good apart from a few miles near Carrington between miles 19-22 where there is little or no support, quite a few people were dropping out / walking during this stretch.

London marathon ballot open today. Anyone else in?

I've got some hamstring medial ligament issues in my knee, physio thinks it'll just be a few weeks to sort out and has prescribed plenty of cycling for now instead of running. Suits me fine as I bought a new road bike in January and the better cycling weather is on the way.

Last night i signed up to to the Great North 10k (5th July) run which i have been meaning to do for the past couple of years. I will be raising money for Cancer Rearch Uk, please see the link to my justgiving page below and feel free to leave any donations. Thanks in advance!

https://www.justgiving.com/stephen-brown35

Completed my above run Sunday gone in 45 min 27 seconds, was aiming for 50mins so am happy with result:)

General Q for anyone who can help

I have got into treadmill running a lot recently, but it plays havok on my shins after a couple of months, meaning I have to take time off.
Anyone got any tips?

I figure I must be flat footed, but may just be the trainers I use.

I have got into treadmill running a lot recently, but it plays havok on my shins after a couple of months, meaning I have to take time off.
Anyone got any tips?

Are you using a decent pair of Clares?

Decent trainers yeah and also always make sure you are running at a slight gradient - even if its just 1%. That always helps. Also fish oil/codliver oil capsules will help with your knees and joints.

Anyone got any tips?

Decent trainers to start, then are you running with the gradient set to hills a lot? If so, go back to running at a flatter gradient level.

I would also recommend not adding more than 10% distance wise per week - I struggled with my shins for ages when I first started running and this was my problem!

If all else fails - lots of ice and KT tape!!

Anyone got any tips?

I’d stop running on a treadmill, they are so bad for you. Also, if you are training for a race, once you hit the roads you will be nowhere near the pace, distance you think you are, as running the roads are completely different. The best place to run is on a beach, less impact. I appreciate you may not have a beach near you.

Go into a local sports shop that has the equipment to see if you need a support arch shoe. They test to see what way you strike the ground. I personally have only wore ASICS as I find them the best. But everyone is different.

I never knew there was a marathon on Ibiza, this could be a perfect excuse for a trip next year.

I’d stop running on a treadmill, they are so bad for you. Also, if you are training for a race, once you hit the roads you will be nowhere near the pace, distance you think you are, as running the roads are completely different. The best place to run is on a beach, less impact. I appreciate you may not have a beach near you.

Go into a local sports shop that has the equipment to see if you need a support arch shoe. They test to see what way you strike the ground. I personally have only wore ASICS as I find them the best. But everyone is different.

I never knew there was a marathon on Ibiza, this could be a perfect excuse for a trip next year.

I run in a pair of ASICS at present actually, find them better.
But, I have pushed myself up quite a lot in the last month, so maybe my body just wasn't ready for the distance, as @fhmsparkle has suggested.

I am considering taking to the roads once it's a tad bit warmer, originally it was a confidence thing but my confidence in general from running has come along massively in recent months

Anyone got any tips?

As suggested by fhmsparkle a massive cause for shin pain is the amount that you increase your volume over the course of the weeks. I would be even more cautious and stick to 5% increase and also stick to 3weeks at that volume before increasing again.

Shin pain can also be connected to increase in quality. In running terms running fast when the body is not prepared for it.

Too much running on hard surfaces can have an effect too.

Ice and Ktape are great and also consider getting a foam roller to roll the shin area.

To strengthen you need to think of eccentric calf exercises and also hip abductor exercises.

Anyone got any tips?

Ice it, stretch calf, hamstring, and work on activating your glutes/hips.
spiky massage balls help in finding the trigger point along the shin to release some of the tension, or better still, pay someone to do it for you.

Back