Spanish Cinema

fatphilb

Ok, further to the Learning Spanish thread, I was wondering if anyone can help me in my quest to learn by recommending some titles filmed in Spain in the Spanish language that I could hunt down.

Wouldn't mind building a wee collection of films for the purpose of getting to know the language a bit better.

Gracias!

Pan's Labyrinth is in spanish is it not???

Also, a few English DVD's may well have spanish audio tracks which you can have english subtitles on... (particularly US region DVD's)

Cheers man, but I'm looking more for actual Spanish films that I can watch with the subtitles on, as opposed to dubbed English films with a Spanish audio track!

I have Abre Los Ojos and Lucio downloading at the minute. I have no idea what they are about (doesn't really matter tbh!).

I'll get onto Amazon come payday.

Tesis
Mar Adentro
Airbag -> brilliant
Los amantes del círculo solar
Lucía y el sexo -> filmed in Formentera
Los lunes al sol
la lengua de las mariposas

Oi!!! thats rude!!!! french cinema is great!!!!!

Delicatessen and that's about it, (love that movie)

too many bad memories of all the artsy lot at college going on about it and watching the likes of Jules et Jim repeatedly with the ex of that time...

Pedro Almodovar,great stuff ! Loads of box sets on amazon,very economico.
Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)
Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother)
Volver
Atame (aka Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down)

All classics

Of non-Almodovar movies, I recommend "Y tu mamá también"
Filmed in Mexico, but a classic movie nonetheless.

From Almodovar my favourites are "Volver" and "All About My Mother".

A spanish speaking film which I love is "Y tu Mama Tambien", but thats got a heavy south american influence though

Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)
Volver

All classics

Of non-Almodovar movies, I recommend "Y tu mamá también"
Filmed in Mexico, but a classic movie nonetheless.

These are all fantastic!!! :)

Volver

All classics

IMO it's too mutch to say that all these films are classics, except Mujeres (probably the last mad, crazy, freak, "movida style" almodovar film), the others are just another Almodovar film.
Thanks god, Spanish cinema is much more than Almodovar.

the greatest Spanish films, imo, predate Almodovar

seminal actors like Andres Pajares, Fernando Esteso, Alfredo Landa and Antonio Ozores captured the country's changing values and in particular the transition from dictatorship to democracy brilliantly in a series of satirical motion pictures which chiefly explored Spain's more relaxed attitude to nudity, increasing curiosity towards Swedish tourists and the popularity of the Seat 600 car as a powerful tool of social change in the late 1970s.

the greatest Spanish films, imo, predate Almodovar

seminal actors like Andres Pajares, Fernando Esteso, Alfredo Landa and Antonio Ozores captured the country's changing values and in particular the transition from dictatorship to democracy brilliantly in a series of satirical motion pictures which chiefly explored Spain's more relaxed attitude to nudity, increasing curiosity towards Swedish tourists and the popularity of the Seat 600 car as a powerful tool of social change in the late 1970s.

What's predate? :eek:

And Olly, I have to strongly disagree with you. All the Pajares, Esteso, Landa and Ozores films are ****, even tho now they try to sell them as "satirical motion pictures", they are not satirical, they pretended to be serious films :rolleyes:
Olly, you are talking about the spanish version of Benny Hill :lol:

If you want good vintage spanish film look for "Bienvenido Mr Marshall" or anything from Berlanga for example.

What's predate? :eek:

And Olly, I have to strongly disagree with you. All the Pajares, Esteso, Landa and Ozores films are ****, even tho now they try to sell them as "satirical motion pictures", they are not satirical, they pretended to be serious films :rolleyes:
Olly, you are talking about the spanish version of Benny Hill :lol:

estaba tomando el pelo ;)

ok, if we're going to get serious in this thread

then my fave spanish film is probably "nadie conoce a nadie" (nobody knows anyone)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209174/ by Mateo Gil, which is a creepy thriller based at the Seville fiesta de abril

estaba tomando el pelo ;)

ok, if we're going to get serious in this thread

then my fave spanish film is probably "nadie conoce a nadie" (nobody knows anyone)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209174/ by Mateo Gil, which is a creepy thriller based at the Seville fiesta de abril

:lol:
Olly, it's VERY serious to talk about Esteso Pajares et al like real cinema :lol: :lol:
Is that the one with hot Eduardo Noriega running around Sevilla's pasos? Haven't seen it.

My fav spanish film of all the times is "Amanace que no es poco", it's already a clasic but I think you should be spanish to understand it and to get all the twists :D

I also strongly recomend Tesis, first amenabar movie.

This is great! Thanks for the response team.

I watched Abre Los Ojos last night and found myself picking out words and phrases I didn't know before. Even just picking up a word or two helps you get the jist of whats going on, but I did have the subtitles on. Oh yeah, and I'd obviously seen Vanilla Sky a few times so knew what the craic was.

Any more fims of note from Ibiza / Formentera??

I watched Abre Los Ojos last night and found myself picking out words and phrases I didn't know before. Even just picking up a word or two helps you get the jist of whats going on, but I did have the subtitles on.
After I watch films in Spanish, I can never figure out how much of it I read from the subtitles and how much I listened to and understood. :lol:

silvia said:
IMO it's too mutch to say that all these films are classics, except Mujeres (probably the last mad, crazy, freak, "movida style" almodovar film), the others are just another Almodovar film.
Thanks god, Spanish cinema is much more than Almodovar.
Well, that's why we have opinions ;)
I think all those films are top notch. Not just as Spanish films but as films with international appeal.

Of course, Almodovar was helped by the fact that Women on the Verge was such a good film. It created an instant market for his future outings.

But I agree with your last sentence - I'm sure there are Spanish movies by other directors that are in the same league of quality. I should probably watch more of them...

Back