Spanish Cinema

I personally think Almodovar is overrated

always the same formula:

zany plot + strong female lead + lots of shrieking

I personally prefer Alex de la Iglesia's films

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0407067/

The Oxford Murders is quite good (although pretty complicated to understand)

I LOVE Spanish films. My favourite genre.

I have loved all of the Guillermo Del Toro films, I think Pan's Labyrinth is my favourite film ever. I bought the box set with Cronos, and The Devil's Backbone in, both also very good.

Amor es Perros is another brilliant film I have watched. Think it's Mexican.

Agree that Aldomovar is overrated.

Torrente by Santiago Segura, I really enjoyed.

And of course Jamon Jamon.

Well, that's why we have opinions ;)
I think all those films are top notch. Not just as Spanish films but as films with international appeal.

Of course, Almodovar was helped by the fact that Women on the Verge was such a good film. It created an instant market for his future outings.

But I agree with your last sentence - I'm sure there are Spanish movies by other directors that are in the same league of quality. I should probably watch more of them...

I wrote a long answer but it crashed :rolleyes:

Mainly, I was wondering how many spanish films have you seen to tag such a long list of almodovar as spanish classics, and actually how many almodovar films have you seen too. Don't missunderstand me, but I think it's not the same to say that X film is a classic when you compare it to 10 films than when you compare it to 100
Lots of people would say that 90% of his greatest films were previous to Mujeres.. Which for me is his best film and a real spanish/universal classic by almodovar.

I personally think Almodovar is overrated

always the same formula:

zany plot + strong female lead + lots of shrieking

Almodovar is a master in art direction, he has this ultra-kitsch twist which is really difficult to manage without being too mutch but... as Olly says, its always the same. You know there will be a prostitute (probably a tranny), a yonkie, a mother earth, a destroyed woman and probably a pedo - priest all of them very histrionic = almodovar film :D
IMO Almodovar is this kind of artists that gets the tag of "good" because of this name, a bit like Woody Allen... which in a way it's a kind of success.

Agree that Aldomovar is overrated.

Torrente by Santiago Segura, I really enjoyed.

And of course Jamon Jamon.

Moha, very impressed. Torrente is sooooooooooooooo Spanish, so wrong and with so many twists that I am impressed you like it :lol:
And Jamon Jamon is a wonderfull film, I like lots any Bigas Luna work

IMO Almodovar is this kind of artists that gets the tag of "good" because of this name, a bit like Woody Allen... which in a way it's a kind of success.
Maybe, but he wouldn't get that tag if people didn't like his films :idea:

I guess he's like Woody Allen or other directors who have a certain style that you either love or you don't. I'm in the Almodovar camp, not so much Woody Allen :lol:

[Rec] :twisted:

What's that (I think) 90s Spanish flick about a sort of snuff movie set up? Name escapes me, even though I have the DVD. :oops:

I wasn't calling them Spanish classics, in terms of how Spanish they are. I was calling them classics just to say that I think they are very good movies, irregardless of origin. I enjoyed every one of them. Although, I doubt if any of the screenplays were to be remade in another cultural setting (Americans love to do this to movies :() that they would be as good.

Nevertheless, I'm sure there are films by others that better demonstrate Spanish life, culture, etc.

Maybe, but he wouldn't get that tag if people didn't like his films :idea:

I guess he's like Woody Allen or other directors who have a certain style that you either love or you don't. I'm in the Almodovar camp, not so much Woody Allen :lol:

Where did you get that I am talking about spanish life? :confused: :confused:

If you use the term "All classics" for a list of films you are not talking about your liking, you are giving an extra dimension to the films, if you know hwat I mean, and this is what I am talking about. We probably should define classic first, cos to me it's not a film with a huge marketing promotional campaign and a big commercial success, it's a film that after 20 years it's still as good as the first day, for example.
To put an example: I can say that The Young Ones is a classic BBC Comedy, but how strong is the word classic in this sentence if I only have seen 5 BBC Comedies?

Of course he wouldn't get that tag if people didn't like his films AND media doesn't do its marketing work.

He is also one of the most egocentric little nasty man in the spanish cultural scene. :rolleyes:

He is also one of the most egocentric little nasty man
Morrissey is quite a difficult character, by many accounts, but that doesn't stop me liking his music!

OK, let's agree to disagree on this on, Sil!
If we all had the same opinion about every movie then life would be quite boring ;)

Morrissey is quite a difficult character, by many accounts, but that doesn't stop me liking his music!

OK, let's agree to disagree on this on, Sil!

Yes of course, but if you had a tendency to not like Morrissey music his difficul character would help to definie this tendency :lol:

Agreeing to disagree is what we do the best :D

Look out for Sin Nombre which is a current Mexican film. I recently saw it at Zurich film Festival and it is excellent.

87366-large.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0456111/

Thank me later

If you want some sleaze/tat/horror, try some Jess Franco.

Most of his stuff was probably dubbed internationally, though.

Back