Sober clubbing

Crawleytown

Now I have always been one to partake in binge drinking and abuse of recreational substances on many a occasion over the years, but the drugs thread on here has made me wonder how many of us on here like to enjoy the odd (or regular) night sober, or just having a few drinks?

Personally as I get older and more responsible I have started to think about my health and longevity a little bit more. With quite a full on job I can't really afford to be getting on it all the time anymore either as it ruins me for about 5 days afterwards. So if there is a night with music I really like in a good club and expected good crowd I am more than happy to occasionally have more of a sober one these days. I do find that it does have to be DJs that I am really into in a good setting but I have had many brilliant nights this way. Stayed 9 hours pretty much sober at Fabrics last birthday party and loved it. In some ways I enjoy the music more than when I am off my head. Are others the same?

I was never into getting off my face. Cant stand the feeling. Ended up like that once & never again. Let’s say I’m a cautious participant. All I need is a tiny bit for energy. If the music doesn’t cut it for me, nothing works anyway.... Otherwise, where are you? Which plane? Earth? Or in your head? And are you fully conscious of what’s going on? I like to enhance the situation by misbehaving, but I don’t like to totally alter it. I also make sure I eat really well, take the correct supplements & definitely not drink too much booze. I think you can pretty much get away with doing anything in life & remaining healthy (mentally & physically) as long as you ere on the side of caution & then balance it out with good food, hydration & rest. I have a kiddo now too, so it makes misbehaving a little less easy to do. I also find people can change personality quite dramatically once they go over the threshold (of any substance - I mean check kids on a sugar buzz!). And that can change the vibe. It really is all about balance. Oh, and knowing your limits.

Yes I am anyways cautious and know my limits! I can't go out sober but I am never too f***ed either that I do not know what I am doing. I know I can handle my coke all night long but pills I cannot, so with pills I just take a nibble. I like to be fully in control and to much of a pill I am to monged out. I have been to f***ed before to not even listen to the music and I hate that so I would rather be nice f***ed as I say

Sober, or more realistically 2-3 hard drinks during the evening.

I used to go harder, but realized that the hangover recovery time gets longer with age. Even worse, my boys will not let me sleep in.... they dont care. :evil:

Personally I think MD comedowns are overhyped. I try to stick to an amount that doesn't make me overly paranoid or worry about my heart, still allows me to piss and doesn't have me gurning too much. :lol: That's < 400mg in a night and doesn't seem to induce a notable comedown. Worst thing about MD for me is the sleep paralysis a couple of nights later. I swear I only need look at a pill and I will get the dreaded sleep paralysis.

yes I've done it often and as long as I've chosen the party wisely - i.e. interesting people and good beats, then it has been great - even sans booze...and even better no dramas the next day!

I've got a wee one now also so messy ones are going to be a very rare treat - maybe once or twice a year....

Reactions: Liv
I get that about 1-2x per month naturally ever since I was a small boy. It sucks.Happens more frequently when fatigued.

Runs in my family, as my mother has it too. In the american south they call it "the witch riding your back".

I started to get it last night, when Monday was my predicted night and the night I'd prepared for it with a glass of wine and a downer before bed. I've learned just to keep calm until the feeling (and the feeling can vary - last night it was like falling from a great height) passes. So it's not so much scary now, more just an annoyance that stops me sleeping. Anyway, took a downer and got off to sleep just fine...

Just sticking to Alcohol and clubbing is such a No for me....

To be honest it's so few and far between these days with work and family that when I do get the chance. I like to let my hair down. Maybe it's a case of just wanting to forget all your responsibilities for a few hours and head bop to some decent tunes....

Clubbing opportunities are such a rarity for me now what with children and all, as such a sober night would just be a waste for me.

I've done it a few times, even in Ibiza when I felt my head needed a rest, if I'm enjoying the music then I can usually go most of the time, same I would if I had dabbled. I do like the smug feeling of walking into a club/festival when I decided I'm just drinking, and when I get searched, its almost like haha dont waste your time searching me, you wont find anything!

As for sleep paralysis, I havent had it for a while, but always had it in Ibiza and after, for me I would describe it as waking up dead, your mind is awake and alert, but you can't move your whole body, its quite scary, and I eventually manage to wiggle my foot, which eventually wiggles my legs which then shocks me awake, the misses hates it when I do it, thinks I'm having a fit!

Reactions: Liv
I know plenty of abstainers. In New York, some people treat clubbing more as an extended aerobic workout! I genuinely envy people who manage to get through a night on a natural high - I think ultimately everybody would prefer to take that path.

But imho the main point about doing it 'sober' is that you are getting a one-dimensional take on what can be a multi-dimensional awakening, especially if you are listening to music custom-designed to trigger your senses, played by DJs who are part-technicians and part-psychologists. Chemical euphoria often defies description - it's essentially like trying to explain an orgasm to someone who has only ever experienced foreplay...

Could I if I had to? Yes, probably. Have I and would I ever want to? No! :lol:

I've always compared using substances at events to the same as having salt and pepper on your food - it's simply an enhancer for me. I could choose to eat my dinner without salt and pepper, but what would be the point? I just want to enjoy it as much as possible, so I choose to use substances to enhance the experience.

I am also the same as many others above - very rarely go out in the UK and only ever do Ibiza once or twice a year for a few days, so what is the harm!? Everything in moderation.

Your guys don´t like the music:eek:
Simply enough as said above, I like it more with some enhancements!

I listen to the same music daily on the way to work and don't get the urge but if I'm going out I want that night to be the best it can and regardless of how good the music is I know I will enjoy it more with that little extra.

Back