so johnny

jjinit

seems we have a russian gangster and a corrupt Italian politician going cap in hand to the equally bent & assanine president of fifa to ask him to create a rule which will seemingly prevent one club from winning trophies??

they don't like it up em do they?? :rolleyes:

I was waiting for this to come up.

If you believe how the newspapers today have phrased this story, I feel sorry for you, mate. Come on... you're smarter than that.

(And for the record, Roman has never been a gangster or even associated with the mafia.)

I was waiting for this to come up.

If you believe how the newspapers today have phrased this story, I feel sorry for you, mate. Come on... you're smarter than that.

(And for the record, Roman has never been a gangster or even associated with the mafia.)

so it's not true then? :lol:

I said the way in which "the newspapers today have phrased this story".

They've made it out as if Roman, Berlusconi, et.al. came running to Platini and said "Please institute a salary/transfer cap. Pretty please!"

The reality is, Platini has been talking about doing this since even before Man City were bought. He used to point at Chelsea as one of his examples. I assume HE probably went around asking owners if they'd be OK with it.

I said the way in which "the newspapers today have phrased this story".

They've made it out as if Roman, Berlusconi, et.al. came running to Platini and said "Please institute a salary/transfer cap. Pretty please!"

The reality is, Platini has been talking about doing this since even before Man City were bought. He used to point at Chelsea as one of his examples. I assume HE probably went around asking owners if they'd be OK with it.

which at the time they probably were not, but now someone has entered the fray who can theoretically outbuy them all, suddenly it's a good idea :rolleyes:

Come on, JJ. You can't believe that Platini's plan is aimed specifically at Man City. That's just ludicrous. If anything, it was probably aimed at Chelsea when it was initially proposed. Also at the Man Us, Liverpools and other clubs with large debts.

We've got the problem that, even though we haven't been spending big on transfers for several years now, we've got an inflated wage bill hangover that'll take years to bring down.

If the other rich owners are onboard with this proposal now, I doubt it's to spite Man City or Real as much as it is to stop the transfer market from getting so insanely inflated (a process which, to be fair, went into high gear with the Chelsea splurge in '03 and which the club has since suffered from because everyone doubled their prices as soon as we came calling!)

Yeah but the big clubs have had it their own way and now sh1t it when they think one of them could miss out on the rewards.

Platini wanted to take the Champs League back to the original format of when it was European Cup, knockout tournament no seeding. The old big boys shed their pants and kicked up about it.

There is a fear that Man City can eventually wipe the floor with the others and now they don't like it.

Wait till Ronaldo signs for Notts County. Imagine the uproar!

Platini wanted to take the Champs League back to the original format of when it was European Cup, knockout tournament no seeding. The old big boys shed their pants and kicked up about it.
Ya, but that's because the alternative is a European SuperLeague, isn't it?

Hasn't the group stage always been UEFA's half-hearted way of keeping the calls for a Super League at bay?

You seem to be revising history a bit...

Ya, but that's because the alternative is a European SuperLeague, isn't it?

Hasn't the group stage always been UEFA's half-hearted way of keeping the calls for a Super League at bay?

You seem to be revising history a bit...

Nope. Only UEFA and the owners who want super league etc. Why do you think the clubs wanted there big G14 etc so they could squeeze more money out the cash cow that is the champs league. Imagine the owners/managers of Chelsea Man U or Madrid Milan if they got each other first round of the European Cup! Priceless.

You ask any City/Utd fan and they love playing the derbies, same with Everton and Liverpool. You can re-create those atmospheres with Utd versus Bordeux or Liverpool vs Steua Bucharest.. Europa/Super leagues will never happen, champs league is nearest it will go and is aimed at making the rich clubs richer. God help anyone who tries to break up that little jamboree at the expense of one of the big boys.

Platini wanted to shake things up and put it back to the original format and the big boys sh1t it. Not revising nothing there mate. I think Platini probably backtracked his idea otherwise he would not have been voted in as that was originally one of his proposals.

Look at the champs league draw this year. Hardly mouthwatering. Usually there is a few big games to keep an eye out for but not really too much is there. However imagine if Barca Inter Milan was a first round tie or Liverpool Lyon?? Be worth a look wouldn't it.

Are you saying that Barca Inter or Liverpool Lyon aren't interesting ties as part of the group stage?
I'm very much looking forward to watching those matches.
And I assure you the atmosphere at Man U-CSKA and Barca-Kazan will be massive!

But I agree that the domestic leagues make a whole lot more sense. There's history, rivalry and proximity.

It was just always my impression that UEFA was against a Super League while the big clubs were for it (thus the creation of the G14 outside of UEFA's structure)

No I am saying they would far more interesting if they were knockout. The little teams would also be in with more than a shout. I don't forsee really any problems for the big boys in each group, do you?

Answer this question then Morbs why do they not revert back to the old knockout competition rather than champs league?

Going back the UEFA cup was originally the harder trophy to win due to more teams and quality. European Cup even Villa won it!:lol:

Answer this question then Morbs why do they not revert back to the old knockout competition rather than champs league?
I don't know... I kind of like it this way, personally, but I suppose it's personal opinion.

Why isn't the World Cup a straight knock-out?

Why do we need the Europa League then? Why not go back to a straight knock-out UEFA Cup?

I don't know... I kind of like it this way, personally, but I suppose it's personal opinion.

Why isn't the World Cup a straight knock-out?

Why do we need the Europa League then? Why not go back to a straight knock-out UEFA Cup?

Pounds notes old chap for the big boys. Don't get me wrong I don't mind the format but I am just saying the reason they don't change it is pounds notes. Imagine Madrid after spending all that dough and then get knocked out 1st round!

World Cup is different. Comes round every 4 years and the whole world gets excited for. Whereas champs league never seems to be off the telly and is longer than the normal season! I would be happy though if the world cup wasn't seeded. Imagine having Brazil, Italy, England and Argentina all in the one group. You could have a real group of death then.

Should never have touched the UEFA cup mate. I agreed with them changing the final from 2 legs to neutral venue though.

Football is a very simple game really. Made complicated by idiots.

The utopian future for football for me would be one where the elite form a breakaway league altogether, dispensing with the need to play bread/butter fixtures against paupers and minnows from the provinces. Recreativo who? - FUK OFF! Consequently, the creme de la creme of Europe would have their players fresh and injury-free and not ruined by excess competition, quality football would be ensured for each match and more money would enter the coffers by virtue of being guaranteed sellout crowds for all ties. Meanwhile, the povvos could play each other for the scraps and quaint fairytale journeys to cup finals nobody else cares about. Now sort it out Platini.

Come on, JJ. You can't believe that Platini's plan is aimed specifically at Man City. That's just ludicrous. If anything, it was probably aimed at Chelsea when it was initially proposed. Also at the Man Us, Liverpools and other clubs with large debts.

We've got the problem that, even though we haven't been spending big on transfers for several years now, we've got an inflated wage bill hangover that'll take years to bring down.

If the other rich owners are onboard with this proposal now, I doubt it's to spite Man City or Real as much as it is to stop the transfer market from getting so insanely inflated (a process which, to be fair, went into high gear with the Chelsea splurge in '03 and which the club has since suffered from because everyone doubled their prices as soon as we came calling!)

i dont believe that for one minute johnny, as you rightly pointed out platini has been making noises about this for a couple of seasons now, what i do find rich (no pun intended) is how suddnenly theres a new kid on the block with infinitely deeper pockets and surprise surprise ambramovic, berlusconi et al are 100% behind it :lol:

Back