So happppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :-)

I've become quite attached to that horrible stinking smell in my clothes when I leave clubs.. :(

When I was in Kilkenny earlier on this year, in a lot of pubs there was some pretty bad smeels going on. Before the ban these smells would have been drowned out by the smoke, but now all you can smell are the toilets, BO and bottom burps. :eek:

Aaron said:
Sorry to all the smokers...............

I am sooooooooooooooo pleased that the Scottish Executive has agreed to smoking being banned in public places! More so for my smoker mates that go out and start eveytime they hit the pub. FANTOOSH! so happy....on my second bottle of wine to celebrate! No more stinking hair and clothes! :D :D :D :D

I thought you'd be happy :lol: I think it's a good thing, and hope England follows suit ASAP. Why are you drinking during the day, are you not at work?

I was a resident nightclub DJ in the 70's and still have all the vinyl in old suitcases. When I open them the stench of stale tobacco and beer can be overwhelming. 'Course, I used to smoke then but packed in over 10 years ago, so, it could be my own smoke. :oops: Got two thirds of them recorded onto laptop, when I finish, the cases will be closed for a very long time. :D Hmmmmmm, maybe I should bury them for future generations to discover. :rolleyes: :lol:

MARKB said:
I hope they ban drinking as well Aaron - that'll piss on your celebration you pompous *beep*

Not going to get in a slagging match but what I will say though is me sitting in the pub having a drink will not effect you where as smoking will. I have seen someone die through smoking and it was not a pleasant experience. I am more that entitled to my opinion. Adios. :D

Aaron said:
MARKB said:
I hope they ban drinking as well Aaron - that'll piss on your celebration you pompous *beep*

Not going to get in a slagging match but what I will say though is me sitting in the pub having a drink will not effect you where as smoking will. I have seen someone die through smoking and it was not a pleasant experience. I am more that entitled to my opinion. Adios. :D

Also, someone who can't go a day without a drink is called an alcoholic which people see as an illness. Someone who can't go a day or even an hour without a cigarette is just called a smoker and most people dont see anything wrong with that. How does that work out?

Aaron also said he thought it was a good thing for his friends' health... i call that a good friend, not a pompous *beep* :lol:

Great quote:

" To continue to allow people to work in smoky environments is the 21st century equivalent of sending children up chimneys "

Tricky one this. I smoke and cant say I would be that bothered if more places did operate a no smoking policy but im not sure this needs such heavy handed legislation.

It sounds alot to me like another policy aimed at creating No Fun UK. So far we are being told, not to eat pies or chips or anything remotely nice, not go out on a Friday night and have a few beers, we cant go to France and do a booze cruise for fear of having our cars taking off us etc etc. What's next, a curfew ? - It's for your own good you know!

Im not saying there wont be health benefit to the populus as a whole but its another example of having the choice removed. Why not allow pubs, bars, restuarants etc to include a seperate room for the provision of smoking if they wish. Many old pubs used to have saloon and lounge bars , once used to separate the gentlemen from the hoi polloi and are now redundant. A pub with a high percentage of smoking regulars could then still indulge their habit by having one room designated smoking without being effectively evicted from their local and affecting the landlords trade?

Banning smoking isnt going to create loads more people who suddenly say "oh, you cant smoke in pubs any more so im going to start going to them" it will negatively affect the trade of many independent businesses. Some pubs in southern Ireland have reported a 25% drop in trade since the ban.

Its also going to be almost impossible to police the ban. Can you honestly see PC Plod going into every pub in rural areas and checking to see if someone is puffing away in the corner? Will the police be arresting or fining everyone who goes into a Soho bar and lights up? Will anyone who works in one of the chain pubs be too arsed about asking their punters to put it out ? It just wont be done.

My feeling is its not the legislation thats inappropriate, its the maelevolent intent behind it to place another leve of "control" over the public.

Ahem

My initial post said I'm not bothered with the ban, although I'm a smoker.

As I understand it benefits the majority. In the same way I don't mind paying more tax if it benefits the majority.

I like to think I have a social conscience.

But all this "ooohh i celebrating with another bottle of wine because I'm so happy at the ban" is too much. It's self satisfied smuggery of the highest order.

Sorry if i sounded harsh to Aaron. I know he's just happy that his smoking friends have finally been saved by the protection of the state.

yeah, right :rolleyes:

Back