Sir Alex Ferguson hopes for peace before Manchester United's Champions League quarter

Jonny68

Sir Alex Ferguson hopes for peace before Manchester United's Champions League quarter-final in Rome

Oliver Kay in Rome

Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, expressed confidence upon arrival in Italy yesterday that this evening's Champions League quarter-final, first leg at the Olympic Stadium will pass peacefully, with no repeat of the ugly scenes that accompanied the same fixture 12 months ago, but Daniele De Rossi, the AS Roma midfield player, gave warning that there can be no such guarantees as he issued a plea to his club's fans.
“It's important to appeal to our fans because we know that there were big problems last time,” De Rossi said. “But we can't control everything, for example things can happen 15km from the stadium. It's not easy to say to somebody who carries a knife that they should change their ways. But I say this to our supporters: 'We give you a very good team, so please give us a stadium with emotion and feeling but no violence.' ”
When United visited Rome at the same stage of last season's competition, three of their fans were stabbed on the way to the ground and a further 18 injured either in separate incidents in the city or in clashes with riot police in the stadium.
The Italian club have been warned by officials from Uefa, European football's governing body, that violence could jeopardise their hosting of next season's Champions League final.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article3655904.ece

Mate is in Roma for the match, hopefully there wont be any repeat of December when Roma Ultras scum stabbed some United fans, best of luck to United as well.

Why is it? I know your severe hatred for Man united knows no boundaries but im sure even you wouldn't take pleasure in seeing United fans stabbed, my mate is over there and im hopign this evening passes off without any trouble.

because it's focussing on the negatives before a ball is even kicked!!

Your not suggesting we should just try and brush this type of thing under the carpet, some United fans may be in danger there tonight, Roma Ultras have a history of knifing people, even some Real Madrid fans got knifed the last time, it's a serious issue and if it happens again Roma should be banned from Europe and fined heavily.

jonny, in all seriousness, its the fact that you are seemingly a slave to controversy (usually tabloid/sensationalist stuff) that provokes a response.

whilst, of course, nobody wishes anything bad on the man utd fans (as many other clubs have suffered in rome as well), the tone of your attitude is once again incendiary and unnecessary. saying things like "Roma Ultras scum".

nearly everything you post about usually involves an attack on something or someone. you post about a festival in ireland, you moan about the prices and the line up. you post about football, you moan about sectarian chanting, dirty players. you post about a club or a city and you moan about posers or people who ain't like you guv.

chill the feck out!8)

Your not suggesting we should just try and brush this type of thing under the carpet, some United fans may be in danger there tonight, Roma Ultras have a history of knifing people, even some Real Madrid fans got knifed the last time, it's a serious issue and if it happens again Roma should be banned from Europe and fined heavily.

and if there were no stabbings and it all passed off peacefully.....??

Then what would you moan about? the price of a a pint of Peroni & a prawn bruschetta in Rome??

Then what would you moan about? the price of a a pint of Peroni & a prawn bruschetta in Rome??

I like your clever continuation of the "prawn sandwich" comment from last week's Rodber post

:lol:

No it wouldn't matter then...and you'll be lucky to even get a pint there today (unless you know where to go;))

jonny, in all seriousness, its the fact that you are seemingly a slave to controversy (usually tabloid/sensationalist stuff) that provokes a response.

whilst, of course, nobody wishes anything bad on the man utd fans (as many other clubs have suffered in rome as well), the tone of your attitude is once again incendiary and unnecessary. saying things like "Roma Ultras scum".

nearly everything you post about usually involves an attack on something or someone. you post about a festival in ireland, you moan about the prices and the line up. you post about football, you moan about sectarian chanting, dirty players. you post about a club or a city and you moan about posers or people who ain't like you guv.

chill the feck out!8)

having another pop are we grego, not unlike you now is it :rolleyes: and id hardly call the Times a "tabloid" either, any so called football fan who goes out and stabs another is scum, and Roma Ultras are renowned for it, but don't let something like that get in the way or having a cheap jibe at me son eh.

having another pop are we grego, not unlike you now is it :rolleyes: and id hardly call the Times a "tabloid" either, any so called football fan who goes out and stabs another is scum, and Roma Ultras are renowned for it, but don't let something like that get in the way or having a cheap jibe at me son eh.

thanks for lecture on what roma fans get up to. i was totally oblivious to it until you told me. :rolleyes:

why you feel the need to make out like i was having a go at you in spite of the issue is beyond me, i mean i even address the issue in my original post.

thanks for lecture on what roma fans get up to. i was totally oblivious to it until you told me. :rolleyes:

why you feel the need to make out like i was having a go at you in spite of the issue is beyond me, i mean i even address the issue in my original post.

But you are having a go, and this has been mentioned to you before by another poster before, it appears a lot of things i post your straight in and having a pop.

I've better things to do anyway im away for now.

my go :lol::lol::lol::lol:

only joking jonny me lad you know in the back of your head what I feel about your post without even typing it ;)!

As far as I know, which granted isn't much. Is that the fans that were stabbed by the "scum" were warned heavily not to go to a certain bridge where the Ultra's knock about. i.e. you go to this bridge, your gonna have some trouble. These guys thought they were something special and went to this bridge to have a pop and see what happened, well... that happened.

As far as I know, which granted isn't much. Is that the fans that were stabbed by the "scum" were warned heavily not to go to a certain bridge where the Ultra's knock about. i.e. you go to this bridge, your gonna have some trouble. These guys thought they were something special and went to this bridge to have a pop and see what happened, well... that happened.

Exactly. It was Man U casuals looking for a bit,knowing fine well what Roma's rep is like, and they paid the price.

very lack lustre perfomance by Roma, who are not the team they were 3 years ago. I'll say it again, the rags have yet to face a quality side in this competition.

Man U can't be blamed for the lack of quality in this year. They can only beat what is put in front of them. Granted they haven't played anyone decent but who has???

I have said for a long time that this year's Champions League is probably the weakest for a long time.

The threat this year is from Barca (who ain't all that at the moment and is probbably a good time to play them) and obviously the English sides as they all have the measure of each other. I got a sneaky for Chelsea which I pray to god I am wrong.

Back