silly music question!

jrd

please don't bar me from this forum for asking this ok!! ;) i've been into trance for a good while now...

but dont know the difference between trance and prog. trance?!?!?!?!

should i be ashamed for asking this? :rolleyes:

jamiedunn said:
please don't bar me from this forum for asking this ok!! ;) i've been into trance for a good while now...

but dont know the difference between trance and prog. trance?!?!?!?!

should i be ashamed for asking this? :rolleyes:

Don't go losing any sleep over it :rolleyes:

Sheesh Jamie, don't worry ... having returned to the "club scene" after a break of some 20 years, I was amused to find there were so many genres ... House just aint simple house any more and I get totally confuddled .. spent many a night out asking people .. "So, is this progressive house or tribal? And what's deep house? And if the last tune was funky house then why is this progressive cos it sounds funky to me!!"

It's all gone over the top completely ... and I just laugh!

*Saffy* said:
Sheesh Jamie, don't worry ... having returned to the "club scene" after a break of some 20 years, I was amused to find there were so many genres ... House just aint simple house any more and I get totally confuddled .. spent many a night out asking people .. "So, is this progressive house or tribal? And what's deep house? And if the last tune was funky house then why is this progressive cos it sounds funky to me!!"

It's all gone over the top completely ... and I just laugh!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
you and me both

Progressive is a pretty pretentious word to begin with, so if you're bold enough to actually call your genre anything like that you better have something pretty f***ing impressive, groundbreaking and forward-thinking to call it that. Like, music that will make you fly or breathe underwater or something. Since that's the case, Progressive Trance is easily the most misnamed genre in the history of music. In the annals of trance, it made huge leaps backwards. Most oldskool trance enthusiasts admit that they stopped listening to trance right after Progressive Trance came around (legend states around 96 or so). The genre doesn't actually do anything new or inventive. But what it DID do was codify--that is, write in literal stone--the trance template of breakdown-build-anthem, an infused pop gimmick that all of a sudden made this strange, space-age music suddenly acceptable to the sonically docile masses. No longer long, unwieldy, repetitive and unresponsive, trance became a familiarity, an image, associating itself (and its artists) with all the trappings that keep the pop music world intact. It all went downhill from here.

--

there we go lol......hmmmmmm

That doesnt sound like a very good description to me! Ok if you think about it in comparisons. Imo progressive trance is usually a little bit slower in general and its not as blatently euphoric. Crazy arpeggiated riffs are replaced with subtle interesting sounds. Gabriel & dresden are a good example really, most of their stuff edges on the more prog side of trance. Whereas people like tiesto mostly produce more full on trance.

I prefer to listen to more progressive stuff myself but i do enjoy bopping to some proper trance when clubbin :)

i have a joof record

Miika Kuisma - Orion

is that prog. trance? sounds a bit like ur description dam0

Back