Sharks?

I'd love to see one - but not too close up, thank you!

I understand the beach waters are too warm for sharks in summer and they keep to deeper water, but I'm no expert at all. Someone into fishy things might confirm/deny.

I'm not sure it has to do with the water temperature. I mean if you go to maldives the water is always somewhere between 26 and 29°C and it's full of sharks there at any depth. but they do tend to stay away from shallow water...I think it's got more to do with them finding more food in deeper waters.

I think the poor shark is probably disoriented. I wouldn't be surprised if found dead on the shore.
Agree with stivi, they stay away from shallow waters, except when s**t tourists feed them.

Binged watched loads shark documentaries recently. They use the electro-magnetic signature of geographical features - including under/over water mountains - as beacons. Or landmarks, if you will. Isn't Es Vedra one of the most magnetic places on the planet? Stands to reason they'd be a lot in Balearic waters. Though I guess the Med is "off the beaten track" of the open ocean.

Would sharks attack our lovely dolphins, and if so is there any evidence?

I wonder how well a sign would go down if, at the start of the pier @ Playa Den Bossa, it offered a "Shark fishing trip, 20e all-inclusive". I could imagine one or two parents shielding the eyes of their kids.....

I'll mention it to Aquabus unless I receive a brown envelope stuffed with used 50's!

I think both species tend to avoid one another. But there have been instances on shark attacks on dolphins
Knowing sod all about this - if the dolphins were under threat from a shark, wouldn't they gather together in numbers and scare the shark away - thinking buffalo or zebra surrounding a lone lion in the bush? Probably works a treat at Amnesia....

Diario's reporting seeing whales recently. So that completes the set - sharks, dolphins, whales. They've done well to get through the Starits of Gibraltar...but can they find their way back?? Nah, who wants to leave the Med???

Historical sighting of white shark in balearic waters!

This morning on Thursday, 28 June 2018 at 10 hours, the scientific expedition alnitak 2018 commanded by biologist Ricardo Sagarminaga Van Buiten and also biologist Fernando López-peepers as director of orca - films in charge of footage, have located and documented 8 miles from Cabrera Island for 70 minutes the presence of a white shark (Carcharodon Carcharias) of 5 meters in length in waters close to the national park of Cabrera Archipelago in the balearic islands, Spain.
In recent years there were possible unconfirmed sightings and various rumours, but this is the first scientific observation of the presence of carcharodon in Spanish waters for at least 30 years. On this occasion, this historic sighting has been photographed, filmed and contemplated by a crew of 10 people from five countries.

36375574_1962438633827041_4022797000863907840_o.jpg

Evil humans stealing orca's food :( ;)

Speaking of orcas, are there any in Balearic waters? Reportedly, there are orcas in the straits of Gibraltar, and they started attacking boats this year, someone must have really pissed them off. Do they swim further inside the Med?

Evil humans stealing orca's food :( ;)

Speaking of orcas, are there any in Balearic waters? Reportedly, there are orcas in the straits of Gibraltar, and they started attacking boats this year, someone must have really pissed them off. Do they swim further inside the Med?

Great animals, probably the smartest mammals.
They are after tuna, maybe they just want fishing boats out, and probably "confusing" other boats.

Not a fan of dolphins or killer whales just don't trust them and I don't think they are as smart as people think they are.... The otter is cool dude..

Some sort of whale washed up just out the road from here last weekend.. weird looking thing..
Screenshot_20200929_183718.jpg
There was a party on the next cove behind those rock... Maybe the melodic aquatic house attracted him to the beach...

Back