San Antonio, what can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from 10 days on the Island , I have been going for the last 18 years and must say this year has been the worst I have seen San An, the general appearance from the far end of the bay to the sunset strip seems to be scruffy! for instance what was Kanya is now Enigma? (I think) what was a fantastic bar is now replaced by a s*** hole, the swimming pool looks filthy, the signage is filthy and it generally looks run down, a few doors up you have a derelict building and empty pool in what used to be Sun,Sea Bar (i think) last a 'Gym' . what a location yet it's just left to rot

The West End, half closed down, very strange atmosphere around there now, seems like the only bars with people in are the Highlander and irish bars. Never seen so many young people being so aggressive I was approached by someone and hit on the arm for no other reason that he was off his face. San An in general did seem busier than I have seen it for years though, bars that normally dead were packed (mainly with young groups of louts) i'm far from stuck up and have had my time down the West End but the place is just dangerous now, barely seen any police in the area at all. The Whole area needs closing down , it's nothing but a drug,crime ridden shit hole

Now on to the Bay, very sad to see so many shops,restaurants and bars closed down, just filthy dirty streets and empty buildings down the far end now , I don't know what the solution is to fill the space of these old closed down establishments .

Just returned from 10 days on the Island , I have been going for the last 18 years and must say this year has been the worst I have seen San An, the general appearance from the far end of the bay to the sunset strip seems to be scruffy! for instance what was Kanya is now Enigma? (I think) what was a fantastic bar is now replaced by a s*** hole, the swimming pool looks filthy, the signage is filthy and it generally looks run down, a few doors up you have a derelict building and empty pool in what used to be Sun,Sea Bar (i think) last a 'Gym' . what a location yet it's just left to rot

The West End, half closed down, very strange atmosphere around there now, seems like the only bars with people in are the Highlander and irish bars. Never seen so many young people being so aggressive I was approached by someone and hit on the arm for no other reason that he was off his face. San An in general did seem busier than I have seen it for years though, bars that normally dead were packed (mainly with young groups of louts) i'm far from stuck up and have had my time down the West End but the place is just dangerous now, barely seen any police in the area at all. The Whole area needs closing down , it's nothing but a drug,crime ridden shit hole

Now on to the Bay, very sad to see so many shops,restaurants and bars closed down, just filthy dirty streets and empty buildings down the far end now , I don't know what the solution is to fill the space of these old closed down establishments .

yep 100%

personally, I would turn it into a zoo

it's all been said before unfortunately...

until there is a genuine revolution in clientele, attitudes, class, infrastructure..

people like me will just keep giving it a wide berth

Not stayed in the bay for a long time, even then spent little time there just sleeping after clubs. Last week was there for a family holiday...with a little bit of clubbing:)

We all thought it was quiet, including mates who live or have lived there. However there are some nice cafes and bars; Tic Tac, Relish, Urban Lounge was that ok, bar-me, Guacho, El Kioski, Peppers did nice enough street food, Kumharas, next door lol, Freedom and the Reggae bar. Then there’s a shed load of bars that could be in any Mediterranean holiday destination where British people congregate- not everyone’s cup of tea.

Nearer to San An there are a collection of bars around the Bay Bar where you can people watch over a drink. Still enjoy watching the going-ons from Itica.

Admittedly I didn’t venture into the actual West End, skirted around the edges on the Sunset Strip which was quiet but still good. David’s still serving up good well priced food.

Is it perfect - no, but still better than Playa D’en Paradise

the problem is also that whenever we have this debate, it eventually turns into a classic 'yobs v snobs' contest and it shouldn't be.

I'll have a moan and then someone like kent kid will come on around page 4 of this thread and try and make me look bad and snotty - and then he'll get 16 likes from the west end fanclub and I'll get 3 likes from the old farts

and then we just go around in circles whilst everybody ignores the glaring elephant in the room ie that that there is a significant problem which isn't getting addressed...

I think there’s a balance between thinking it needs bulldozing, to re-modelling to nothing needs changing.

My post was more to suggest there are positives and San An in general is not a total shithole. I agree it needs changes though.

I’m not a snob or yob, we enjoyed drinking in Tulp, similar I enjoyed sitting in Es Boldado, we also had fun sitting outside The Tavern.

the problem is also that whenever we have this debate, it eventually turns into a classic 'yobs v snobs' contest and it shouldn't be.

Sorry wasn't my intention to make it look like that is what you are saying.

Personally we all know what the West End is like, and it is what it is. I can quite happily have an excellent Ibiza holiday without going near it. So really it is what it is and it serves a purpose

I must be in the minority, but I really like San Antonio ?‍♂️ it has an unusual charm.

I like the town. But the influx of overpriced renovated 2 star hotels priced like 4 star ones anywhere else is a no no. Plus lack of parking has sealed it's fate for me. Can't spend 2 hours finding a space at night then having to walk 5 blocks home. May as well stay in Ibiza Town !!

I'm neither a yob or a snob either and generally open-minded and will go with the flow and can deal with either 'types' but feel the 'middle-ground' what i'd call every day people seems to have been lost somewhere, but I guess this is just a society issue. The behaviour of some people, some over the age of 30 literally stuns me to be honest, a bit like on the flights out to Ibiza no respect or consideration for others.

What annoys me is the lack of action taken by Police to stop crime, how many years have those women on the corner by Linekers bar been there now? aggressively approaching passers by regardless of who they are . I seen 2 very intoxicated girls no older than 19 off their faces buying Balloons , then running down to the sea , you worry for them . why isn't the front policed?why are drugs openly being sold. Instead of f***ing around with noise laws and so on they need to CLEAN UP the area.

I will say in the daytime San An is still mostly very enjoyable, chilled out places like the Orange Corner are nice places to go, the price to stay very basic hotels now is out of control and the '5 *' luxury ones quite ridiculous when considering the what's surrounding them.

You can't stop who goes to Ibiza but I feel now the focus is just overpriced VIP/Beach Club stuff V Crime/Drugs/Violence of the West End/Bossa strip , PDB itself feels run down and scruffy now too, seems like the efforts are all to make the hotels look pretty but the surrounding areas suffer!

I think the whole island is in need of a general clean up

Ibiza, San Antonio in particular, probably just needs a good kick up the backside.

Police need to pull their finger out. Step up and start policing their area of responsibility a bit better.

They should go to DC10 and get some training from the security staff there ?

Parts of San An have always been a bit grotty and the things you describe in the West End have always been part and parcel of it.

San an an the Bay Area are what they are - a good entry point to the island for youngsters, an affordable option for families and a reliable option for veterans who know what they’re getting themselves in for.

Let’s not fall into the trap of thinking the whole of Ibiza has to be gentrified to the point of being completely inaccessible to the new generations.

How many of us fell in love with the island through coming here at 17/18/19, getting wasted on the west end for 20 euro, sniffing 5% pure sniff from Looky Looky men and generally being completely naive and clueless but having an amazing time? I know I did!

For what it’s worth we did San an this year for first time time in ages instead of PDB and I think it’s far less seedy than Bossa which has developed a really sinister undercurrent in recent years.

Last edited:
They should go to DC10 and get some training from the security staff there ?

Policia Local or Guardia Civil ? The GC don't need any training, if you ever see them actually laying into someone you'd be pretty shocked. I've seen them kick a guy's head like it was a football whilst he was lying immobilized on the ground and people wind up in hospital with broken limbs. It's just that they don't direct much effort at street theft, peddling and solicitation and it is those aspects which make a place feel seedy to be in.

DC10 security can be terrible. Stood minding my business in line to get into a closing a few years ago after waiting for blooming ages and one of them had a random flip-out just as I got to the front. Decided he wanted everyone to move back and line up again, and instead of asking he just picked me up and used me as a battering ram to push other people back. I mean seriously, what gives people the idea that it's OK to behave like that with a f'king customer. When I got in it was horrendous too, never been back for closings since.

I did a little boxing in earlier days. And I know how sangerous Hits against the head ( without 12 Oz much more dangerous) are. Its a wonder that there are not more dead or handicaped People in this Club scene. Good bouncers use Liver hooks If necessary : Painful , not soo dangerous and in most cases over after 2 hours. I didnt Work as a bouncer , btw , I dont use violence.

Last edited:
I did a little boxing in earlier days. And I know how Dangerous Hits against the head ( without 12 Oz much more dangerous) Its a wonder that there are not more dead or handicaped People in this Club scene. Good bouncers use Liver hooks If necessary : Painful , not soo dangerous and in most cases over after 2 hours. I didnt Work as a bouncer , btw , I dont use violence.

They are not properly trained @feynman just thugs, and some of them are doing that job as an excuse to be violent to other people without consequences. What I saw Ushuaia security doing in their very first years was not controlling a situation, it was criminal assault verging on GBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back