SAN ANTONIO - THE REGENERATION (very interesting article)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've said it before and i'll say it again - san an is a great holiday destination for people who are not young. obviously pacha mag is aimed at the youth sector of the market eg to describe bar m as a good restaurant is laughable but nevertheless it seems as though the backlash against the backlash has started.

i know it's cool in these columns to knock san an because a few streets are populated by young people who don't fit the clubbing mould. however careful examination of san an's offer shows that the place really does have a lot of fantastic restaurants, great opportunities for sports and water sports, excursions, nice bars, a lot of quaint architecture and is actually a real breathing living town.

the phrase go to pdb because bora bora is there just about sums it up. it's an awful characterless place with little to commend it except it's nearness to a beach bar full of heaving gimps and a disco that opens all day for a few months of the year.

give me san an any day but for god's sake don't open any bars like base, dome etc there. let's keep at least one part of the island free of pretence!

stephen said:
i've said it before and i'll say it again - san an is a great holiday destination for people who are not young. obviously pacha mag is aimed at the youth sector of the market eg to describe bar m as a good restaurant is laughable but nevertheless it seems as though the backlash against the backlash has started.

i know it's cool in these columns to knock san an because a few streets are populated by young people who don't fit the clubbing mould. however careful examination of san an's offer shows that the place really does have a lot of fantastic restaurants, great opportunities for sports and water sports, excursions, nice bars, a lot of quaint architecture and is actually a real breathing living town.

the phrase go to pdb because bora bora is there just about sums it up. it's an awful characterless place with little to commend it except it's nearness to a beach bar full of heaving gimps and a disco that opens all day for a few months of the year.

give me san an any day but for god's sake don't open any bars like base, dome etc there. let's keep at least one part of the island free of pretence!

Ahmen !! Stephen we think very alike its just you have a better way of putting it into words than me.

I would of said lets keep san an free from all these pill muching mullet wearing david beckham wanabees :lol: :lol:

san an is a really nice place i think, well ive stayed there 4 times so must like it lol

west end is a bit off putting at times, but still ok for a cheap night out before the clubs etc, although some people theree should be kept in the circus!

I have never had a problem with San An - Always stayed on this side of the Island. (ok usually its a little way out in Port es Torrent, or slightly up in the hills), but on the whole San An's got a good vibe about it....

I think have seen one fight in the West End, amd I actually find it quite amusing walking through that area at times. I dont feel intimidated by the crowds or the looky looky guys/girls - in fact I quite enjoy a bit of banter with them at times.....

For me, its just got more stuff going on that PdB has. Other than Space and BB there is really nothing else there to attract me..... one long beach and that's it. The Western side of the Island has a far more interesting coastline, so many little bays to lose yourself in, and to explore, interesting little restaurants and some decent local bars just outside the main holiday area .....

Good Luck to San An and its regeneration ......

stephen said:
heaving gimps
Fronty said:
pill muching mullet wearing david beckham wanabees
me_ve_11.gif

btw, this thread is the perfect continuation of San Antonio gets Tough..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Sant Antoni to Remodel 6 Central Streets.
Following the same concept as the Calle Ample reforms carried out just before summer, it was agreed at a council meeting last week to remodel 6 more central streets in the Town. These are the Dinamarca street, Ramon Llull street, part of the road leading to the Plaza España, the Calle Antoni Riquer & 2 small side streets near the Calles del Mar & Progresso. The reforms are part of a plan to improve access & circulation for potential customers in these central shopping streets. The cost of the project is over 4.60 million € part of which is financed by the Town Hall & the rest from other administrations such as the Consell Island Government.
Pedestrianisation of Ramon Cajal Street.
The Consell Island Government voted in favour of providing funds to help the Town Hall in Sant Antoni to turn the Ramon Cajal street into a one way street with wide pavements making it easy for pedestrians to shop in this commercial area of the town. Reportedly work on this project should start this autumn.

the ibiza sun

btw, ramón y cajal is the street that starts opposite wips and passes in front of es verro (known by tourists as the shouting man).....

Garlands-opening023.jpg
---> yatooooo!! :p

Colin Butts said:
CCTV cameras have been introduced, resulting in a dramatic reduction in the number of so-called "looky-looky" men, whose previous trade of cheap sunglasses, jewellery and watches evolved into something altogether more nefarious and narcotic
joan pantaleoni announced this morning that, after the success of the 7 cameras, they will install more:

:arrow: http://www.diariodeibiza.es/secciones/noticia.jsp?pIdNoticia=72940

normal_IMGP3192.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
btw, last saturday i congratulated colin butts for the excellent article and he told me that he is preparing another similar one for a british newspaper..........

colin1.jpg

i stayed in san an bay in 2003 and thought that a water taxi to the sunset bars was a great way to kick off an evening. Or a walk round the bay chatting to all the lovely laides trying to entice you into their bars!

Much nicer surroundings than 2004 at Jet when you either walk pass a stinking barbecue or the smelly street that leads to Bora Bora.

San an side is much better for a base!

i'd agree with you there. pdb is such a charmless place. san an has far more going on with much better opportunities for sports, cruises, sunsets, restaurants etc etc and believe it or not is actually better connected to ibiza town than pdb. there are buses every 15 minutes in summer and the journey time is actually shorter even though the distance is greater.
of course san an doesn't have space or bb and pdb doesn't have the west end, but for some people this is regarded as an advantage........

I love San An, even though I'm not over-enamoured with the West End. There's so much to do and see there, if people would only go and look.

I'm a San An fan. I love the sunset bars, usually avoid the West End but even that's not that bad if all you want is a cheap boozy night & some of the newer bars that have opened are really good.

Underground Car parking Approved.
The Council in Sant Antoni approved the results of a feasibility study carried out by a firm from Valencia interested in building an underground car park under what is now the Plaza de España recreational area in the heart of the town. This decision paves the way for the project to become a reality & in 30 or so days the definite plans for the car park, which would have 3 storeys underground, 2 accesses & one exit as well as the capacity for 300 cars, could be completed & put out to tender if all the other authorities agree. The construction of the car park could be paid for by allowing the builders to exploit the installation for 75 years. It was suggested that some car parking spaces could be sold to nearby residents for 24.000€. Other residents could park for 1.35€ a day in the underground car park with specials passes whilst normal users would pay 1.5€ an hour.

150_Petanque.jpg

Playground Opened Officially.
The Punta des Moli playground at the end of the seafront promenade in Sant Antoni was officially opened this week after undergoing a face lift, extension & improvements funded by the Plan of Excellence funding the town received in 2004. 1100m2 in size & costing around 437.000€, the park has areas dedicated to different age groups & is very well equipped & set out with safety being a priority. Hopefully the Council will also set a side sufficient funding to maintain the playground in a good state as it looks as though this much needed installation is going to get a lot of use.
At the opening it was announced that in the coming year the Town has over 549.000€ of Plan of Excellence funding to spend. Most of this will seemingly go on creating a botanical garden next to the playground as a new attraction for the town & to build the much needed changing rooms beside the open air stage at the Punta des Moli headland. More money will be invested at a future date to extend the Cala de Bou Plan of Excellence boulevard up to at least the end of the Es Pouet beach & possibly on to the Petrol station roundabout on the Avenida Dr Fleming street.

26.jpg

the ibiza sun

taken from www.plastikibiza.com :

Ibiza DJ awards 2005 - SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

What did we tell you?:

For the last month or two we have been canvassing the Ibiza DJ Awards to let them know of Plastik's existence, with a view to being nominated for best bar. The reason for needing to do this is as you all know, we are not a typical San Antonio bar and there has been a prejudice towards any business within bottle throwing distance of the notorious West End.

Surprise surprise, we received an email to say that we're not established enough! Hello! What about Al Ayoun? The restaurant is fantastic but the bar has only been recognised as a result of Pete Tong mentioning it and Smokin' Jo holding the closing party of her brilliant nastydirtysexmusic there last year. The bar is fab and has rightly been nominated, but it is no more established than Plastik.

The DJ Awards are turning into a meaningless, self-congratulatory, back-slapping old boys club. They had a chance to send out a message that something positive is happening in San Antonio, but chose not to.

It is not the first time. Previously, best R n B night was voted as Trevor Nelson's. Nothing wriong with that as he is The Don, but what about Twice as Nice? They've been bringing urban sounds to the island for years and popular with it. Or, God forbid, what about Soul City? Nothing to do with the fact that both of these venues are in the West End, surely? And where was Trevor Nelson playing - a back room. Just so happens to be Pacha's back room, and where are the awards held? El Hotel - Pacha's! Pacha is probably the best club on the island and we're sure they haven't asked for or need that kind of sycophancy. Pacha mag is the mag that has been championing Plastik's cause and set the benchmark for others to follow - it's just a shame that those running DJ Awards aren't reaching that benchmark or being as forward thinking.

It's not so much the limited kudos that being included would have brought us as a bar, it's just the message it sends out about San Antonio. Not only are we amongst the most popular bars on the whole island, but we're actually trying to make a difference. Nice for that effort to be recognised, eh? Still, I suppose they'd have to actually bloody visit the bar first, and being seen in the West End would do their reputations no good at all, would it?

Of course, the other reason we weren't nominated might just be that whilst the nominations are decided by those who run the awards, it is the public who actually vote on those selected.

And we wouldn't want the DJ Awards having their image tarnished by a bar in the heart of the worst part of San Antonio winning, now would we..?

The ever so slightly bitter but what-the-f*** Plastik crew

taking a look at the nominees this year (cafe del mar, rock bar, blue marlin, el ayoun, bora bora) and last year (sa trincha, rock bar, dôme, mambo, km5) i noticed that rock bar repeats. the question is: rock bar among the best bars in ibiza? queeeee? :eek: :lol: :eek:

plastik deserved to be in that list (and we all know that its 100 times better than rock bar)..........

which reminds me of this funny but very true post:

alex311279 said:
I am curious to see what the reputed base and rock bars have to offer and I am not surprised when the answer is a resounding nothing.

We get a table at the rock bar after 5 minutes of being ignored I make my way inside. For want of a better description it is a small hovel, lined with ancient pictures of famous people. On a quest to sample the whole islands take on sangria; a jug is ordered and I watch it get prepared…. Fill one jug to the top with ice, leaving little to no space for liquid. Fill half of your remaining space with sangria from a carton, “hang on… doesn’t carton sangria only cost 1€… this is going to be a cheap drink at a bar known for being expensive” add to this a splash of cheap schnapps, top up with half a bottle of fanta limon. The cost; a cool 25€. I must admit, even though I watched it being made and knew the cost, I didn’t hand the cash over, with a small inward smile that this would be my one and only transaction and the rock bar and that people that big up this bar are definitely pretty stupid. But for one night I was happy to be stupid and sat people watching yet again as the preened and beautiful people strutted their stuff back and forth. The jug of sangria did last an hour or so, so ever so slightly makes its value better. Cheaper drinks at much better bars with much more vibrant atmospheres can be found just a street away and this is where we will be heading in future.

tut tut..........

stone the heretics!!

it is a fact that the best bars in ibiza are situated at the marina and open for 12 weeks a year.

thinking about plastik's argument why not give best bar to raco verd. it's open all year, it showcases innovative music, it has something different on every week, covering a wide spectrum of 'genres,' it doesn't charge an arm and leg to have a few bevvies, and attracts a 'like minded international crowd!'

oh silly me, it doesn't have some over-rated egotist putting a few records on surrounded by circus sunglasses and gelled crests. Rock bar wins again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back