ryanair...

ric

has anyone heard of them stopping the flights again during the winter?? i'm trying to get some for 2nd week in november but the last flight out in on 29th october...

i'm hoping it's just that they aren't released yet although it's been like that for over a month now... :(

We went via barcelona from dublin last febuary and doing the same again this febuary.6hr stop in barca on friday plenty of time to pop into town for some food/drink and 20:15 to ibiza for 3 nts.2hr stop on way back to dublin on monday leaving ibiza at 09:30 back in dublin at lunchtime..

Still no winter flights showing up with ryanair from London:(

i've given up on going via london... the new plan for november is as follows...

sat 5th november - very early bus from belfast to dublin, 7am flight to barcelona, 10hrs sepnt in barcelona including nou camp tour, 7 euro flight to ibiza and arrive just after 9pm...

sun/mon/tue/wed/thurs/fri - cycling and lots of it!!!

sat 12th - lunchtime flight to madrid, check into hotel near bernabeu, do the bernabeu tour, out for some food and a saturday night in madrid..

sun 13th - evening flight back to dublin and bus back home again...

it took about 3hrs of planning because of all the various flights/hotels/leaving dates i was able to go for....

8)

i've given up on going via london... the new plan for november is as follows...

Do you take your bike with you, ric ? Just out of interest how does that work out with the sports equipment charges on the likes of Ryanair and also what to do with it during long transits (left luggage or something) ?

I took my wakeboard away with me a couple of times last year to the mainland (Malaga, for Cordoba - worth it as was for coaching on a huge reservoir there) and to Ibiza in May this year - waste of time as the sea was just too choppy !

Basically ended up avoiding Vueling & Ryanair due to astronomic add-ons which more than wiped out all the savings over the likes of BA or Iberia. Either way it wound up being a pricey thing to do.

Guess with 6 days' cycling to average the costs out over would likely be worth it to take the bike nonetheless in your case but presumably adds a hefty surcharge to the flight bill ?

PS - which hotel do you stay at in Ibiza out of season ?

I'm still waiting to see if ryanair fly again this winter. Nothing yet but I am hoping. They pulled their winter flights last year in september but then reinstated them around october. Can't imagine flying with ryanair and having a bike to check in, the only way with them is hand luggage (and pockets full of stuff!).

Do you take your bike with you, ric ? Just out of interest how does that work out with the sports equipment charges on the likes of Ryanair and also what to do with it during long transits (left luggage or something) ?

I took my wakeboard away with me a couple of times last year to the mainland (Malaga, for Cordoba - worth it as was for coaching on a huge reservoir there) and to Ibiza in May this year - waste of time as the sea was just too choppy !

Basically ended up avoiding Vueling & Ryanair due to astronomic add-ons which more than wiped out all the savings over the likes of BA or Iberia. Either way it wound up being a pricey thing to do.

Guess with 6 days' cycling to average the costs out over would likely be worth it to take the bike nonetheless in your case but presumably adds a hefty surcharge to the flight bill ?

PS - which hotel do you stay at in Ibiza out of season ?

no, i rent one from a place in santa eulialia... it cost about 50 euro for the week.. i only bring my own helmet, 2 spare tubes and an allen key... i only actually travel with hand luggage ( bit enough bag but just about ok ) so i've no extra fees at all!!!

i stay at Tarba Hostel in san antonio..... very cheap, clean, central, great wi-fi in your room and they're ok about me having the bike there...

:D

no, i rent one from a place in santa eulialia... it cost about 50 euro for the week.. i only bring my own helmet, 2 spare tubes and an allen key... i only actually travel with hand luggage ( bit enough bag but just about ok ) so i've no extra fees at all!!!

i stay at Tarba Hostel in san antonio..... very cheap, clean, central, great wi-fi in your room and they're ok about me having the bike there...

:D

That all makes much more sense ! A week on hand-luggage :eek: ? Can you give me some lessons in how to travel lighter please ? Must be the only person I know who had to "pare down" his packing for a 1-night break in France to a 15kg suitcase and 5kg rucksack :rolleyes: .. and managed to use about 75% of the contents whilst there. Came back with well over 20kgs :confused: (well, including some booze and a large solid cast iron plaqe with multiple hooks to mount outdoor coats on - hmmmm) ...

Guess it helps to be more focused maybe - on a cycling holiday you can get away with quick-dry clothing that you can wash without having to iron, dry overnight & rolls up to virtually nothing .. and just wear some warmer stuff on the way out ?

Still seems astonishing tho' :eek: - seem to have an entire hand-luggage allowance worth of electricals alone when I travel. And then there are the d***ed SHOES (wrecked beaten-up trekking trainers, "acceptable" trainers to wear when not actually climbing/trekking, sandals for the beach, smarter casual shoes for restaurants in town or to be let into unpredictable clubs in ...... etc etc (starts to mutter "FFS" as attempts to pack light fail yet again :lol: !!). Ramble alert - sorry, still in "shock and awe" territory at the though of a week on hand-luggage :)

Tarba looks OK actually - and only £18/night looking at later in the year is incredibly good value if the facilities all work and it's clean and friendly.

March looks a fun time to go too ...

Looking like Manchester -> Barcelona -> Ibiza for us this winter. Having the stop overs / changes with children makes the trip a tad more hassle but can't miss the winter visit:D

We stayed in the maritimo in figueretes in febuary i think it was 55 euro per night for good size room with balcony and great breakfast.they do lunch and dinner there to for less than 10 euro_Oppisite the hotel there are some very steep steps that take you up over a hill and down into ibiza town in a few mins but they are very steep .2 good little bars across road from hotel that stay open late too witch is always a bonus on your way back.grail is open all year some good dj playing good deep house/tec stuff, pacha is still pacha so you know what to expect in there.And lo cura stays open my favourite bar in ibiza town.Bars on the marina are all closed its good to walk around there and up into sa penya in the mornin, we done it after breakfast one day and lets just say it was an eye opener.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that - both hotels sound nice out of season - and just remembered Sunset Point's open all year round too.

Yep - it's all very tempting. Would be good to be able to get cheap flights at short notice out of season too - on account of the weather issues (i.e. wait for a nice-looking forecast and skidaddle off then).. Ryanair & Easyjet both tend to drive theirs up as the date draws nearer tho' :?:

That all makes much more sense ! A week on hand-luggage :eek: ? Can you give me some lessons in how to travel lighter please ? Must be the only person I know who had to "pare down" his packing for a 1-night break in France to a 15kg suitcase and 5kg rucksack :rolleyes: .. and managed to use about 75% of the contents whilst there. Came back with well over 20kgs :confused: (well, including some booze and a large solid cast iron plaqe with multiple hooks to mount outdoor coats on - hmmmm) ...

Guess it helps to be more focused maybe - on a cycling holiday you can get away with quick-dry clothing that you can wash without having to iron, dry overnight & rolls up to virtually nothing .. and just wear some warmer stuff on the way out ?

Still seems astonishing tho' :eek: - seem to have an entire hand-luggage allowance worth of electricals alone when I travel. And then there are the d***ed SHOES (wrecked beaten-up trekking trainers, "acceptable" trainers to wear when not actually climbing/trekking, sandals for the beach, smarter casual shoes for restaurants in town or to be let into unpredictable clubs in ...... etc etc (starts to mutter "FFS" as attempts to pack light fail yet again :lol: !!). Ramble alert - sorry, still in "shock and awe" territory at the though of a week on hand-luggage :)

Tarba looks OK actually - and only £18/night looking at later in the year is incredibly good value if the facilities all work and it's clean and friendly.

March looks a fun time to go too ...

i use a big holdall bag... something like this.. http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=208-1434

i wear the only trainers that i bring... i bring one shirt, 2 pairs of shorts, about 5 t-shirts, a light mesh jacket for cycling, my own helmet, 2 spare tyre tubes, small allen keys, toiletry pack ( deo, toothpaste etc ) which goes in the side compartment, phone, camera, 13' laptop, leads/adapters/plugs for my electrical stuff and that's about it... i wear a jacket and pair of jeans over and coming back... it's very easy to travel with only hand luggage... :D

i've never needed to dry any clothing as it's alway been sunny anytime i've gone cycling... 8)

aye, tarba is exactly what is needed if on a budget!!! it's very clean, safe, friendly, good cheap food, 2 mins from cafe mambo etc and they don't mind if you keep the bike in the room...

i've just booked some flights for my 3rd trip this year to Ibiza and i still haven't even been on the 2nd trip yet... :lol::lol:

got a ryanair barcelona - ibiza flight for 6 euro and then a ibiza - madrid flight for 6 euro... gonna spend a day each in both cities either side of the 3rd trip so i can see the cities and do tours of the nou camp and the bernabeu.. :D:D:D

i use a big holdall bag... something like this.. http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=208-1434

i wear the only trainers that i bring... i bring one shirt, 2 pairs of shorts, about 5 t-shirts, a light mesh jacket for cycling, my own helmet, 2 spare tyre tubes, small allen keys, toiletry pack ( deo, toothpaste etc ) which goes in the side compartment, phone, camera, 13' laptop, leads/adapters/plugs for my electrical stuff and that's about it... i wear a jacket and pair of jeans over and coming back... it's very easy to travel with only hand luggage... :D

i've never needed to dry any clothing as it's alway been sunny anytime i've gone cycling... 8)

aye, tarba is exactly what is needed if on a budget!!! it's very clean, safe, friendly, good cheap food, 2 mins from cafe mambo etc and they don't mind if you keep the bike in the room...

i've just booked some flights for my 3rd trip this year to Ibiza and i still haven't even been on the 2nd trip yet... :lol::lol:

got a ryanair barcelona - ibiza flight for 6 euro and then a ibiza - madrid flight for 6 euro... gonna spend a day each in both cities either side of the 3rd trip so i can see the cities and do tours of the nou camp and the bernabeu.. :D:D:D

I must get one of those holdalls and give it a try next time. May have to appoint a less beaten-up pair of trainers to multi-use and ditch the towel, rest of the shoes & maybe swimming fins - seems the key to it all is in the bag design and footwear department !!!

Hope it stays sunny for your next trips. When is your 2nd one ?

The ryanair flights are amazing value - been looking at them too and it's actually really nice to have a day in the cities on the way out/back .. I've used left luggage in Madrid before even for handluggage so in transit can just skip off into town (or club overnight .. :oops:) with nowt bar a wallet and mobile :D. Wish they had facilities like this at Ibiza Aiport too !!!

I must get one of those holdalls and give it a try next time. May have to appoint a less beaten-up pair of trainers to multi-use and ditch the towel, rest of the shoes & maybe swimming fins - seems the key to it all is in the bag design and footwear department !!!

Hope it stays sunny for your next trips. When is your 2nd one ?

The ryanair flights are amazing value - been looking at them too and it's actually really nice to have a day in the cities on the way out/back .. I've used left luggage in Madrid before even for handluggage so in transit can just skip off into town (or club overnight .. :oops:) with nowt bar a wallet and mobile :D. Wish they had facilities like this at Ibiza Aiport too !!!

it will stay sunny!!! 8):D my 2nd trip is in just over 2 weeks... 1st - 8th october ( space and dc-10 closing ) then we're doing 3/4 days cycling.... you've probably noticed by now that i like to cycle.. :lol:

i'm glad you mentioned left luggage... i've never done that before.. how much would it cost for me to leave my holdall in barcelona airport for around 8/9hrs so i don't have to carry it into nou camp and around the city centre?? i'm not even sure i would get into the nou camp if i was carrying a big bag.... how exactly do i pay for this left luggage service?? do i need to pre-book somewhere or is there an info desk to ask about this sort of thing??

I would be confident you would become hooked on cool season Ibiza as much, or more than peak season Ibiza, kimajy. Really getting to chat with the locals and seeing the true beauty of the island without the damned neon lights and razzmatazz of the summer months is amazing. Yet clubbing options are there if you want to let the hair down :D

My wife will be directed to your post about travelling light, ric!! She thinks getting by on two ryanair 15kilo suitcases and four items of hand luggage was a great achievement (we had two children in tow though).

Enjoy your weekend folks, mine will be spent doing what everyone does in Ibiza, mainly living life without a care in the world!

it will stay sunny!!! 8):D my 2nd trip is in just over 2 weeks... 1st - 8th october ( space and dc-10 closing ) then we're doing 3/4 days cycling.... you've probably noticed by now that i like to cycle.. :lol:

Did you ever check out the Florencio I know the owner there is big into the cycling scene in Ibiza plus lots of local cyclists stay there

i'm glad you mentioned left luggage... i've never done that before.. how much would it cost for me to leave my holdall in barcelona airport for around 8/9hrs so i don't have to carry it into nou camp and around the city centre?? i'm not even sure i would get into the nou camp if i was carrying a big bag.... how exactly do i pay for this left luggage service?? do i need to pre-book somewhere or is there an info desk to ask about this sort of thing??

Madrid :

There are facilities at terminals 1,2 & 4 :

Left-luggage office / Price for locker rental: part or whole of one day, €5.42(large locker), €4.82 (medium locker), €4,22 (small locker).

Location info / maps (print them off - you can easily get lost at Barajas !)

http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...n/Page/1049727006589/1049727006301/Other.html

Barcelona :

Pricing probably similar

http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...arcelona/en/Page/1046097305505/1045569607407/

Your have to put your bag through an X-Ray security before you can access the lockers and you take the key and pay there. They have over-rider keys for people who overstay and leave their stuff / it gets warehoused eventually !!

1st - 8th october ( space and dc-10 closing )

See you at the closings then ! Am seriously considering finally getting round to climbing up & jumping off Cap Bernat on 2nd.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/42966

Well, having just had to abandon my (unannounced) planned short trip to Ibiza tomorrow on account of some sh!t which has to be shovelled this week, have just got some incredibly cheap seats on 4 flights Gatwick-Madrid-Ibiza-Madrid-Gatwick for a total including all booking /card fees of £50.29 to compensate 8)... assuming I get to use them that is :lol:

That's flying out to Madrid Ryanair Sat 29/10 leaving just after 10am. Afternoon in Madrid. Night at Richie Hawtin's Plastikman Live 1.5 Tour @ Fabrik Madrid. Great night at a great club (for only 25Euro entry) with amazing line-up :

Plastikman (live)
Magda, Gaiser, Ambivalent, Barem, Martinez Brothers, Livio & Roby, Hector

Fly on to Ibiza the following afternoon for 3 nights 30/10 - 2/11

Back to Madrid on the 5.20pm from Ibiza, connecting with Easyjet's last flight out of same terminal (Terminal 1) which gets back in to Gatwick before 11pm.

Now that's a bl00dy bargain by anyone's standards - 4 flights and a ticket for an awesome club for the grand total of about what it cost to get a Sunday 1-day pass to Global Gathering :eek: .. or through the door of Pacha on a Monday or Thursday night with a bottle of water thrown in ..

Makes you think a bit about value, doesn't it :) !!

Back