Pizzaman87

Party/Event: Tiësto at Privilege

Club: Privilege

Date: June 22, 2009

DJs: Three random guys, then Tiësto

Cost of entry: 39€ tickets bought from Ibiza-Spotlight.com

Cost of drinks:
N/A, none bought.

Transport: Took the Discobus roundtrip from Playa den Bossa for 12€ total.

Review:

Tiësto at Privilege was a night I had been looking forward to for quite some time. Nyana was one of the first electronic CDs I ever owned, and Tiësto’s artist albums and remixes had never failed to impress me. Overall, the prospect of seeing one of the world’s former number one DJs at the world’s largest club sounded like a combination almost too good to be true—and in some ways it was.

Getting into the club didn’t take long as I had purchased tickets online through Ibiza-Spotlight and was given guest list entry. It should be noted that at the door they did check purses and pockets, and did frisk more so than any other club on the island. If your camera was found, you were charged 5€ to store it for the night. However, I lucked out and got my camera through security with no problems, and once inside, you could snap as many pictures as you wanted, as the bouncers were more concerned with troublemakers than those taking photographs.

In general, the walk into Privilege is shocking. The vast size of the place is purely jaw-dropping. The interior of the club itself didn’t have any apparently flashy design, other than dark walls, lots of balconies, and a MASSIVE ceiling. Quite simply put, the club looked like a gigantic airplane hangar.

In order to reach the main dance floor, from the entrance, you have to walk down a set a stairs which at times, could become quite busy. Once down on the main floor, there was a DJ booth situated in the middle of the space in front of you overtop a swimming pool. From here, if you look above and behind you, you can see the huge VIP area.

It was about 1:30 AM when I had arrived, only to find out that Tiësto still hadn’t started. I was a bit surprised by this as numerous posters throughout the island advertised a six hour solo set from Tiësto himself, but for over an hour, the anxious crowd was entertained by sipping on drinks and listening to three unnamed, mediocre-at-best DJs perform. Next—out of nowhere—a huge curtain in fell down in the distance, and Tiësto appears before a raucous crowd, who quickly rushed to an initially unapparent area in front of him. It was definitely a great entrance!

I quickly hurried over to this section of the club, only to find things packed should-to-shoulder as Tiësto started testing out how loud Privilege’s new audio system would go with the bass cranked all the way up. As his set wore on, the crowd was greeted by two lifeless dancers on either side of the DJ booth, then—another surprise—the walls behind Tiësto started lighting up various patterns and images, and smoke machines started going off. Things were off to a good start, but as time went on, I realized that my occasional excitement was coming from the random effects that were happening in the club, not from the DJ, the crowd, or the music.

In general, I had expected a lot more from Tiësto, but much to my surprise, he had little crowd interaction compared to the other numerous DJs I’ve seen, and rather than mix up his set when the crowd fell flat, he maintained the same caliber tracks. Moreover, when starting up a new track, he would often turn his back to the crowd for several minutes at a time to pick out another track to play, turn around, pump his hands three or four times, and flip back around again. As this continued to be the theme of the night, I found the area around me beginning to clear out, as the once packed area in front of Tiësto now had plenty of room to maneuver around. By this point it was almost 5 AM, and I decided to call it a night.

In the end, for this to have been the same Tiësto I grew up listening to throughout my teenage years, I left the club that night unimpressed and unfulfilled. It’s an evening worth a look, but all things considered, I’ll probably check out Cocoon the next time I’m in Ibiza on a Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the absence of all the visuals 'Tiesto in Concert' would be a very average night, I loved my night last year. That huge video wall was spectacular and he did play some awesome tracks to kick things off, but it can be very average music at times and his interaction is minimal.

Because of all the increasingly unjustified hype surrounding him however there is a great buzz in the club when he comes on, so it still fails to disappoint but I think he will be sussed sooner rather than later and the numbers will decrease

these bits made me laugh out loud

DJs: Three random guys, then Tiësto

Cost of drinks: N/A, none bought.

but for over an hour, the anxious crowd was entertained by sipping on drinks and listening to three unnamed, mediocre-at-best DJs perform.

Can you imagine if Tiesto had anything but mediocre warm-up dj's??? He has to do everything in his power to pull the wool over peoples eyes

Can you imagine if Tiesto had anything but mediocre warm-up dj's??? He has to do everything in his power to pull the wool over peoples eyes

What like last year with Sander Van Doorn, Chris Lake etc etc DJ's who i class as slightly higher than mediocre?
Never read such bollox in my entire life. Trance music wouldn't be what it was today without Tiesto's influence.

Of the 3 nights i went to last year in Ibiza, I though Tiesto's was the worst. It wasn't so much for what he played (Though sander van doorn i thought was a little better as a warming up for him) but it was the complete lack of atmosphere and dancing combined with Priveledge which i though was a pretty horrible venue. Yes, it is impressively big, but thats about it. The night just had none of the atmosphere or Vibe that I thought my trip to Amnesia had.

good review bud, not into trance at all but part of me would lov to see this stage show tiesto puts on.........
COCOON is 1 of my fav nights and i just gotta go with the team..........

Of the 3 nights i went to last year in Ibiza, I though Tiesto's was the worst. It wasn't so much for what he played (Though sander van doorn i thought was a little better as a warming up for him) but it was the complete lack of atmosphere and dancing combined with Priveledge which i though was a pretty horrible venue. Yes, it is impressively big, but thats about it. The night just had none of the atmosphere or Vibe that I thought my trip to Amnesia had.

Got to agree with that, there is no atmosphere because of the size, would've been a much better night at Amnesia.

We were right in the middle of things between the pool and Tiesto for most of the night and I can remember it being buzzing, I cant imagine it not being. This was the opening night last year however, so it might have been different when people got used to it :?: Not sure

We were right in the middle of things between the pool and Tiesto for most of the night and I can remember it being buzzing, I cant imagine it not being. This was the opening night last year however, so it might have been different when people got used to it :?: Not sure

I was at the closing and thats why it suprised me how dull i thought it was. I think it would have felt a bit more normal in the UK, but most places in ibiza have such a good unique atmosphere it was disappointing there. It was the last night out of the trip too though so maybe i was just suffering burn out!!

Good to know I wasn't the only one who thought it sucked. Contrary to popular belief, I actually found it to be much much worse than We Love..haha.

One thing that really surprised me the most about Tiesto, is that most of what he played didn't sound much like trance, but more like house and drum and bass, though I still appreciate the stuff he did many years ago that got me involved in trance music.

One thing that really surprised me the most about Tiesto, is that most of what he played didn't sound much like trance, but more like house and drum and bass, though I still appreciate the stuff he did many years ago that got me involved in trance music.

He stopped being strictly a 'trance' DJ a few years ago when he crossed over to the mainstream - he wouldn't have gotten away with playing the likes of La Roux, Calvin Harris tune, and that sex on fire remix @ Cream Amnesia.

If he did he would have probably got the same reaction as Oakenfold when he played his infamous Radio 1 Essential mix at Amnesia in '06!

Last edited by a moderator:
sex on fire remix @ Cream Amnesia.

A friend of mine who has just returned from Ibiza claims that PvD played a remix of Sex On Fire at Cream Amnesia... I'm not sure there are any nights in Ibiza at the moment that are frequented by an overwhelmingly "trance purist", "Armin/Tiesto bashing" crowd... at least not to the point where a Sex On Fire remix would empty a dancefloor, I mean.

A friend of mine who has just returned from Ibiza claims that PvD played a remix of Sex On Fire at Cream Amnesia... I'm not sure there are any nights in Ibiza at the moment that are frequented by an overwhelmingly "trance purist", "Armin/Tiesto bashing" crowd... at least not to the point where a Sex On Fire remix would empty a dancefloor, I mean.

Did he really? I thought people going to cream would have hated that sh*t in a trance set..

changed days! :)

Yeah, apparently so. Personally, as a trance fan, I'd rather hear some "proper" up-to-the-minute trance music and I'm sure for the most part Cream still provides that.

But I think the likes of PvD are aware that Cream attracts more than just a dedicated trance following through its doors.

But I think the likes of PvD are aware that Cream attracts more than just a dedicated trance following through its doors.

Yeah true, i think at the level he's at he could drop just about anything into a set and the punters would lap it up - not like he's ever been accused of 'selling out', has he?

Yeah true, i think at the level he's at he could drop just about anything into a set and the punters would lap it up - not like he's ever been accused of 'selling out', has he?

I think all the big 4 have been accused of selling out at some point. PvD and Corsten probably less so than Armin and Tiesto. Out of those 4, PvD is probably most "attuned" to the crowd he's playing to and probably the most versatile. I've seen PvD plays some really fluffy, airy sets that seem to meander along, and I've seen him slam it out like an Eddie Halliwell.

In fairness they are all great dj's at what they do tiesto isnt strictly trance anymore incorporates alot of different genres into his sets. PVD on the other hand can play some serious cheese when he feels the need. Armin is godlike even though he occasionally plays muck. Ferry i cant really complain about when he's good he is great when he is bad he is shocking. Tiesto is after pulliung up his socks alot seen him first in 2005 and he was mental then seen him in 2006 and 2007 a couple of times all crap, Seen him at planet love last year then and he blew the plae apart really great set he isnt as bad as what he went but he is certainly not as good as he was in his hay day.

Back