review: cocoon club frankfurt on NYE

stivi

well this one won't be a nostrum-like monster review, but still i'll try to tell you a bit of our trip to frankfurt...

friday, december 30th
drove to zurich in the morning where natascha was already waiting for me...we took the plane at noon time and had an easy flight to frankfurt. we had to use our collected miles from the frequent flyer programme, so we took advantage of business class with free wine and salmon...yummy!

landed in frankfurt, took the train into town and checked in at the "le meridien" hotel near the train station. i know someone who's working for them and so i got a very cheap rate...unless we wouldn't have been able to afford such a great accomodation! we got a very nice and stylish room with a huge flat screen tv inside...cool

but we thought we'd better check out the city...off we went. the city center was only a ten minutes walk away. so we ended up shopping clothes. when we got hungry in the evening, i quickly checked out my frankfurt guide (that i had taken with me from our office) and we easily found a nice and very cosy restaurant...i guess to most of you it's no surprise we ended up eating in a spanish restaurant even though we were in germany we just love the spanish cuisine. we had a nice platter of tapas variadas and then went on with two different (and both very tasty) main courses (pork and croquetas for me, pasta with spinach for my lady)...all accompaigned with a bottle of vino tinto!

so when our stomaches were stuffed, we walked back into centre (the spanish restaurant, mirador was the name, was located in a quiet quarter of the city) and went to the studio bar. there, we finally met up (again for me, first time for natascha) with judith! we had a nice chat there and some evil good drinks (natascha soon got drunk...but still in a funny way ). it was cool to talk about ibiza, the music, the forthcoming night at cocoon and listening to cool house music. we didn't make it till very late because natascha and me had had a hard week so far, so we walked back to the hotel around midnight...all frankfurt was white at that point, snow had been falling all through the night!

saturday, december 31st
got up at about 9:30am and enjoyed a perfect breakfast at the hotel (including quite everything you could wish for breakfast, including salmon, meat, eggs, bread, cereals, fruit, sweets...well EVERYTHING!)
then back into town for some more shopping. and we met judith again, this time at a café called helium, another cosy place in the middle of town.

went back to the hotel in the afternoon for some quiet time in our room before it was time to get us up & ready for the night. we had a reservation for the NYE-dinner at cocoon club and the start was already at 7:30pm, so we almost had to hurry took a taxi to the club...and there we were!
the club is split into the club itself (very, very stylish, perfect soundsystem, cool projections on the walls...only the lighting wasn't that great, i found) and into two restaurants...SILK, the restaurant where you lie on big white beds - very luxurious (and too expensive for us) and MICRO, the more "normal" yet still very stylish restaurant. i'd definitely recommend you to have dinner there if you go to cocoon club!!!! it's a perfect start into a great night...so it was to us at least! the menue was so good, i could write so much about it...but i don't want to bore you too much with those details! but really: if you once go to cocoon club, then definitely get a reservation for dinner!!! sven väth even welcomed everyone there personally...i thought that was really nice!

cool: at the big table (8 people) where natascha and me were sitting, there were 3 austrian peeps (one girl and two guys) and they told us they're from vienna...so i immediately asked if the girl was poison ivy from the forum - and it was her! she once had written into a thread she'd go to cocoon for NYE and she'd be having dinner there too, so we had a small spotlight meeting there!

the dinner ended just a few minutes before midnight, so we just rushed onto the dancefloor to count down the last minute of the ending year...and to celebrate with everyone into 2006!!! end of being sophisticated, let's party now...dorian paic and ricardo villalobos were playing and they got the party going...natascha and me had a wicked time, although the club was rammed!! sven väth only began playing at about 5:30am, because he first had another booking in some other club. but he didn't disappoint! it was only at about 7 o clock when judith arrived...she had been to another party but had the intention to come to cocoon at about 3am...but unfortunately she hadn't bought any advance tickets and the night was sold out...but in the morning, we could help her getting inside and at least we danced together for some time...but natascha and me got tired at about 9am and so we left...the party was still running on full throttle, but we were wrecked...i heard they kept on going till 4pm!!!

we took a taxi back to our hotel instead and went sleeping...

sunday, january 1st
sleeping most of the day...

only got up at about 5pm, went outside to take a walk and get some fresh air...and when we finally got hungry, we went to a cool italian self-service restaurant. very good quality food for extremely reasonable prices (the restaurant was called "vapiano")!
back to the hotel again then and tv-session...easy and cosy evening!

monday, january 2nd
had another monstruous breakfast at the hotel, then checked out and went back into town to see judith again (at café helium). short farewell, then we already had to take the train to the airport again and then back to zurich...a short and nice flight!

going back to cocoon? FOR SURE!!! it's really awesome! but next time, i think, i'll choose a more "normal" night when the club isn't that rammed.

judith, thank you for your help with everything and see you again any time soon!

hi stivi,

nice review.
i´m glad you had a good time in frankfurt!!!!! ;) :)

hope to see you and natascha again any time soon too!!!!!

Went on the Cocoon website last night after reading this. Looks absolutely amazing. I explored the whole site, every single nook and cranny. I can see me planning a little trip to Germany sometime soon! I have a friend in Munich so somewhere to stay at least. In fact, perhaps instead of my June Ibiza trip I might try and get to a game or two this summer.

nice review !

There are 26 of us flying out for my birthday weekend on the 3rd Feb !!!

Afraid Cocoon will be awash with Scots !
:lol:

Judith - thanks again for the tips for the after parties.
We're trying to find out what's on at Robert Johnson on the Saturday night (4th Feb) - any ideas? I can't find any websites that have up to date listings.
Also U60?

thanx stu ;) 26 people? sounds like a mad party then :twisted:

i guess you could find some dates on www.frankfurt-pur.de judith gave me this link once and i found it to be quite useful! and she also advised me to stay far from U60311...PM her and she'll tell you why (although i know, they're having some wicked line-ups every now and then).

partygötter (möller & danska): nächstes mal klappt's ja vielleicht...wobei, wenn ich mir eure fotos auf eurer seite anschaue, dann könnte es defnitiv sein, dass ich euch gesehen...oder eher gerochen habt, so viele leute haben da nicht so dicke zigarren geraucht!!! :eek: ;)

Stu Hirst said:
nice review !

We're trying to find out what's on at Robert Johnson on the Saturday night (4th Feb) - any ideas? I can't find any websites that have up to date listings.
Also U60?

hi stu,

26 of you??????? sounds like you are going to rock the cocoon club!!!!:lol:

take a look at www.robert-johnson.de the february listings should be up to date by the middle or end of january.

the www.frankfurt-pur.de link is useful, but it´s in german.

don´t go to the u60311. i really can´t recommend this club anymore. it used to be good, but it changed a lot during the past 3-2 years.

yes! it was a great NY party! I enjoyed every second of it! :)

it was a really cool coincidence to meet nostrum at our micro dinner table! the dinner was just too good!
I spent the rest of the night dancing, walking around meeting hundreds of people and having a great time!

I definitely love this club and can't wait to go to frankfurt again! 8)

Judith said:
hi stu,

26 of you??????? sounds like you are going to rock the cocoon club!!!!:lol:

take a look at www.robert-johnson.de the february listings should be up to date by the middle or end of january.

it looks like the Saturday night we are there (4th Feb) is a drum & bass night.
:cry:
Not really our thing unfortunately.

Is there anywhere else you can recommend for a Saturday night? Is Vinylbar any good? Or even just any good bars that we can get a few drinks, with a good atmosphere?

Stu Hirst said:
nice review !

Also U60?

Room for a little one Stu? Not joking either, if I can travelling buddy from 'darn sarf' I really wanna see Cocoon and your birthday's as good as any!

Buckley said:
Room for a little one Stu? Not joking either, if I can travelling buddy from 'darn sarf' I really wanna see Cocoon and your birthday's as good as any!

of course mate, the more the merrier !

There's 26 of us coming (a few of Bruce's mates are flying from London), the rest of us from Glasgow. We're staying in the Ibis hotel just around the corner from the main train station, till the Sunday night.

Drop me an email at my work address (i'll text you it) and we can sort something out.

Stu Hirst said:
of course mate, the more the merrier !

There's 26 of us coming (a few of Bruce's mates are flying from London), the rest of us from Glasgow. We're staying in the Ibis hotel just around the corner from the main train station, till the Sunday night.

Drop me an email at my work address (i'll text you it) and we can sort something out.

Can fly from Stansted on Fri and back on Sun for 0.01p each way (plus Tax)

Stu Hirst said:
it looks like the Saturday night we are there (4th Feb) is a drum & bass night.
:cry:
Not really our thing unfortunately.

Is there anywhere else you can recommend for a Saturday night? Is Vinylbar any good? Or even just any good bars that we can get a few drinks, with a good atmosphere?

Am I wrong in thinking it's Felix Da Housecat on the Saturday?

I might be heading over to Frankfurt in March for a weekend so I'll be interested to hear all your recommendations :D

SuperD said:
I might be heading over to Frankfurt in March for a weekend so I'll be interested to hear all your recommendations :D

To be sure etc;) *flogs long-deceased horse*

How are you sir? Been too long!

SuperD said:

...So you will

To echo Mr B's sentiments, where have you been, loike?

Back