Recent Films...

Super P

Seven Pounds - Unbelievably beautiful, brilliant film, moved me in special ways, fantastic, I need to fall in love. Pretty much booed in the cinema, and now thinking of all past loves lost. :lol:

Slumdog Millionaire - Brilliant story, and really really good feel fantastic film.

The Wrestler - Really really good film all round, really involving, thought provoking and uplifting.

GET YOURSELVES DOWN THE CINEMA KIDS.

It's about time Hollywood started releasing decent films again instead of crappy remakes (and then wondering why people were downloading movies instead of going to the cinema!). Slumdog Millionaire and The Wrestler are tipped for Oscars (Slumdog Millionaire is nominated for 10 and is favourite for best picture and best director- The Wrestler is tipped for best Actor (Mickey Rourke believe it or not!!). Heath Ledger is tipped for best supporting actor for Dark Knight (the disappearing pen trick is still one of the best (and most shocking) scenes in any recent movie). Should be a good year and hopefully the trend will continue!!!

I'm scared of going to the cinema at the moment, it seems Kate Winslet is everywhere. Would hate to stumble into the stalls only to see her huge face looming over me.

...however Defiance looks good, been reading about the holocaust recently and would love to learn more about this story.

Slumdog Millionaire is exceptionally good. I think it's the first widely oscar-tipped film for ages that actually deserves its accolades.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is good too and quite thought-provoking, although I think at times it feels very much like Forrest Gump minus any humour (although they do both contain plastered trawler captains).

Avoid Underworld 3. I don't even know why I bothered watching it other than it being in the DVD pack. It's relentlessly awful: "Oh there's dracula" / "Ahh another big dog" / "Isn't that the grizzled singer from 'Love Actually'?.... I thought he was dead" are just some of thoughts that go through your head before you eventually drift off.

Gran Torino
It's a nice story and watchable, but somewhat overhyped in the press. Eastwood's performance is solid but nothing special. His character's opening up to the Hmong family next door, despite his prejudices, seems a bit too rapid. 3.5 / 5

Milk
It covers a lot of time so it skips through years of Harvey Milk's life quite quickly but it was a very interesting life and thus an engaging film. I would have liked to see more depth in his relationships with other people. Sean Penn is superb as the title character and Josh Brolin is very deserving of his supporting actor nomination as well. 4 / 5

Frost/Nixon
Fascinating story and great acting all around. The movie catches the mood of the 1970s and you get a sense of the characters of these two men and the tension between them as the Brit David Frost takes the first post-resignation interview from Richard Nixon. Frank Langela should probably win the Oscar. 5 / 5

Let the Right One In
A moody Swedish film about a young bullied boy and a young (looking) vampire girl. Takes a while to grab your interest with its slow, quiet plotting and bled-out color schemes but it holds your interest as you wait to see where the relationship goes and watch the protagonists coming out of their shells. Good young actors. 4 / 5

Cadillac Records
Like Milk, it has to speed through the years so you feel you miss some episodes of the characters' lives that would better explain them. You could almost classify it as a (music) history film and it's fascinating to get a view on how Chess Records popularied the people who invented Rock & Roll - Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry - and other stand-outs like Etta James. 3.5 / 5

Hollywood did put out a glut of quality films at the end of the year. Fortunately, many were tipped for Oscars so lots of DVD screeners which means lots of bit-torrent availability for those of us out here in places where we can't see them in English in the cinema :) I've got Slumdog Millionaire, Changeling, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Doubt, The Wrestler, Benjamin Button and Vicky Cristina Barcelona still to watch. Would like to get a hold of Rachel Getting Marrieg and Notorious.

Frost/Nixon
Fascinating story and great acting all around. The movie catches the mood of the 1970s and you get a sense of the characters of these two men and the tension between them as the Brit David Frost takes the first post-resignation interview from Richard Nixon. Frank Langela should probably win the Oscar. 5 / 5

do you need to be very clued up on the watergate scandal for this, or just know the basics?

Just because I think i missed that day in my history lesson :oops:

Slumdog millionaire was excellent. Thought the ending couldve been a bit more depressing though.

do you need to be very clued up on the watergate scandal for this, or just know the basics?

Just because I think i missed that day in my history lesson :oops:
I think you just need to know the basics of the Watergate affair i.e. why Nixon resigned. A quick Wikipedia read wouldn't do you harm.

Gran Torino
It's a nice story and watchable, but somewhat overhyped in the press. Eastwood's performance is solid but nothing special. His character's opening up to the Hmong family next door, despite his prejudices, seems a bit too rapid. 3.5 / 5

Milk
It covers a lot of time so it skips through years of Harvey Milk's life quite quickly but it was a very interesting life and thus an engaging film. I would have liked to see more depth in his relationships with other people. Sean Penn is superb as the title character and Josh Brolin is very deserving of his supporting actor nomination as well. 4 / 5

Frost/Nixon

Let the Right One In
A moody Swedish film about a young bullied boy and a young (looking) vampire girl. Takes a while to grab your interest with its slow, quiet plotting and bled-out color schemes but it holds your interest as you wait to see where the relationship goes and watch the protagonists coming out of their shells. Good young actors. 4 / 5

Cadillac Records
Like Milk, it has to speed through the years so you feel you miss some episodes of the characters' lives that would better explain them. You could almost classify it as a (music) history film and it's fascinating to get a view on how Chess Records popularied the people who invented Rock & Roll - Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry - and other stand-outs like Etta James. 3.5 / 5

Hollywood did put out a glut of quality films at the end of the year. Fortunately, many were tipped for Oscars so lots of DVD screeners which means lots of bit-torrent availability for those of us out here in places where we can't see them in English in the cinema :) I've got Slumdog Millionaire, Changeling, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Doubt, The Wrestler, Benjamin Button and Vicky Cristina Barcelona still to watch. Would like to get a hold of Rachel Getting Marrieg and Notorious.

good picks all around, just saw Cadillac Recs the other day and i was suprised that Beyonce didnt make dislike her even more.

Went to see The Wrestler last night, really really enjoyed it, not as weepy as I thought it was going to be but still emotional all the same and very realistic.

I have a new found respect for Mickey Rourke :lol::lol::lol:

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Utter nonsense! Like a crap Forest Gump that tries to be a whopper or a historically accurate piece with a single element that get's completely unquestioned or commented on (i.e. his silly disease). The only film I've ever walked out of a cinema of.

Milk - Ace ace ace. Once you get over Sean Penn playing a gayer (he is a touch annoying and too similar to his Sam character! I'm sure he tones it down through the film though) he is brilliant, and the story is really quite interesting.

Slumdog - As good as the hype, which is rare. Nothing too taxing, just very very 'nice'.

Wrestler - Ace. As a one-role-film you can't ask for more of Mickey Rourke

Somers Town - Unspeakably awful! The British shouldn't try film noirs. Especially if you've got the little muggy one from Love Honour and Obey in it

Role Models - Not great, though really not as bad as you'd expect. Has McLovin in, and that should be enough for anyone.

Revolutionary Road - A film for people whio like plodders. Not for me. Though the menatlist neighbour is very good.

Changleing - Brilliant. Such a gripping storyline, brilliantly acted. A must see.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Utter nonsense! Like a crap Forest Gump that tries to be a whopper or a historically accurate piece with a single element that get's completely unquestioned or commented on (i.e. his silly disease). The only film I've ever walked out of a cinema of.

Milk - Ace ace ace. Once you get over Sean Penn playing a gayer (he is a touch annoying and too similar to his Sam character! I'm sure he tones it down through the film though) he is brilliant, and the story is really quite interesting.

Slumdog - As good as the hype, which is rare. Nothing too taxing, just very very 'nice'.

Wrestler - Ace. As a one-role-film you can't ask for more of Mickey Rourke

Somers Town - Unspeakably awful! The British shouldn't try film noirs. Especially if you've got the little muggy one from Love Honour and Obey in it

Role Models - Not great, though really not as bad as you'd expect. Has McLovin in, and that should be enough for anyone.

Revolutionary Road - A film for people whio like plodders. Not for me. Though the menatlist neighbour is very good.

Changleing - Brilliant. Such a gripping storyline, brilliantly acted. A must see.

Ha ha I was going to see Benjamin Button next week....maybe I wont bother.

Still really want to see Changeling. Not sure if its still on at my cinema though.

Am debating the Will Smith one, I hear good things.

Was slight put off Slumdog after someone wrote in to the paper saying its quite violent? But saying that I saw The Wrestler so sure I can stomach it :lol:

yes to slumdog, went last night. how fit is the lead lady? stay for the dance at the end.

also saw defiance recently - pretty good. very eye opening about the jewish war 'experience'. crams a bit to much into the film me thinks.

is W still about? Dying to see it.

I'm looking forward to the film version of "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy- it's due out this year at some point.

Back