Reality check is starting....now.

If you have a backyard, it is time to get into growing your own fruits and vegetables. You will be surprised how much you can end up saving. If you or anyone you know knows how to fish and it is cheap to do so then make time and do it. Similarly, if you are a meat eater and it is cheap to go and hunt it is not a bad idea to take a deer or a boar.

:lol:

I can just imagine Epping Forest overrun with desperate people hunting for deer :eek: :twisted:

Glad that I could amuse everyone with my "prepare for the worst case scenario" approach to things:lol:. It comes across as paranoia, but once the mind is trained to utilize the “dormant” survival instincts, one starts to approach situations and execute plans without getting all jacked up (AKA paranoid).

In 2009 I am going to add wilderness survival to my education list. A good friend of mine was in the SADF (S. African Defense Force) and he was telling me about how he had had to survive in the bush country for 3 weeks with nothing but a knife, a compass and a billy-can and a bivvy (sleeping shelter). It is too bad (for me) as he is leaving within a month to travel for 2-years with his wife. Anyway, I will be attending The Tracker School which he also highly recommended. I guess when I have truly feel comfortable with that stuff; I can take my FN-FAL (L1A1 SLR for the Brits) and apply for the Selous Scouts! Just kidding. I am 35 years too late for that.

But in all seriousness, it is good to know “hard skills” like seed stock, seed propagation, gardening, carpentering, fishing; skills that our parents (in some cases) and our grandparents utilized regularly or in more than a few cases, depended on.

Phil:

I am peachy. I would lurk here time and again, but the topics have been dull enough that all the garam masala in the world will not help spice things up:lol:. Next time you come to CA, make a trip down to San Diego if you can. MiCasa is SuCasa. You can stay over for a few days, and hopefully we can probably hit one underground party. Encinitas is an awesome beach town with a very eclectic, yet laid back flavor to it.

Morbs:

I guess I do not blame you for not wanting to eat out of the river in Moscow. Only you can tell how good or bad the condition is in the river. Boar might be the only option apart from stocking up on canned stuff. :idea: One deer or boar will last you and Irina for a long time. Yup! The weather in Moscow is not really conducive to farming but the weather in FL is.

Folks:

No Sirens is not another moniker for me. We probably are/might be on the same or similar bandwidth when it comes to survival.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that I could amuse everyone with my "prepare for the worst case scenario" approach to things:lol:. It comes across as paranoia, but once the mind is trained to utilize the “dormant” survival instincts, one starts to approach situations and execute plans without getting all jacked up (AKA paranoid).

In 2009 I am going to add wilderness survival to my education list. A good friend of mine was in the SADF (S. African Defense Force) and he was telling me about how he had had to survive in the bush country for 3 weeks with nothing but a knife, a compass and a billy-can and a bivvy (sleeping shelter). It is too bad (for me) as he is leaving within a month to travel for 2-years with his wife. Anyway, I will be attending The Tracker School which he also highly recommended. I guess when I have truly feel comfortable with that stuff; I can take my FN-FAL (L1A1 SLR for the Brits) and apply for the Selous Scouts! Just kidding. I am 35 years too late for that.

But in all seriousness, it is good to know “hard skills” like seed stock, seed propagation, gardening, carpentering, fishing; skills that our parents (in some cases) and our grandparents utilized regularly or in more than a few cases, depended on.

Phil:

I am peachy. I would lurk here time and again, but the topics have been dull enough that all the garam masala in the world will not help spice things up:lol:. Next time you come to CA, make a trip down to San Diego if you can. MiCasa is SuCasa. You can stay over for a few days, and hopefully we can probably hit one underground party. Encinitas is an awesome beach town with a very eclectic, yet laid back flavor to it.

Morbs:

I guess I do not blame you for not wanting to eat out of the river in Moscow. Only you can tell how good or bad the condition is in the river. Boar might be the only option apart from stocking up on canned stuff. :idea: One deer or boar will last you and Irina for a long time. Yup! The weather in Moscow is not really conducive to farming but the weather in FL is.

Folks:

No Sirens is not another moniker for me. We probably are/might be on the same or similar bandwidth when it comes to survival.

With all due respect (to a man with a gun!) you remind me of the "armed" couple from the film Tremors......

Well just giving the update, no news as of yet, but maybe something to day. It's been a full week of speculation and calculating who might be cut. It's almost getting to be like Big Brother--you know, campaign to stay in the house.

I saw a story on CNN yesterday that 7-Elevens are getting 100 applicants a day for work, crazy! Maybe that will be me... hopefully not. ;)

you know the end is near ...
... when even THE KING OF CARS is chopping jobs:

"...
Three Car Dealerships Close

Three local new-car dealerships have closed in the Las Vegas valley in recent weeks
and about ten-percent of the nation's 20-thousand showrooms will likely shut down
in the next 18 months before the economy picks up again.

A Seattle consulting firm says 600 dealerships across the country,
including TOWBIN Hummer and two Bill Heard Chevrolet's here in the valley,
have already shut their doors.

With the slowing economy, not many people have money or the ability to get credit
to buy a new car.
Those who have money are likely to hang on to it.
The firm expects another two-thousand car dealers will go out of business
before the times get better.
..."
(kxnt.com)

I saw a story on CNN yesterday that 7-Elevens are getting 100 applicants a day for work, crazy! Maybe that will be me... hopefully not. ;)
Given your background, I thought you'd be more the Starbucks type ;)

Fingers crossed for you, dear. I'm sure everything will be fine. Still looking forward to you giving Irina & I a tour of Disney World next month :lol:

Fingers crossed for you, dear. I'm sure everything will be fine. Still looking forward to you giving Irina & I a tour of Disney World next month :lol:

I bet you are ;)

Gl to missf and anyone else currently uncertain about their jobs.

Good to hear you have something in the short term, johnny.

Update

I know it's been awhile since I first posted this, but the layoffs were finally handed out today and THANK GOD I did not get the pink slip. 500 in total and some of my good friends. It was a very sad day. :cry: If anyone is going through this, it is the worse feeling in the world to think you could lose your job in these economic times and I totally sympathize.

:eek::(:evil:

super-bad economy closes beach super-model agency:

"...
For more than two decades Irene Marie's agency represented
some of the hottest Miami models out there.
Now it's a symbol of a struggling economy;
a struggle that is forcing Marie to shut her doors and put this space up for rent.

Beautiful faces, hot bodies, and a whole lot of drama.
That's what was captured inside Irene Marie's Modeling Agency on the hit
MTV Reality Show 8th and Ocean.
But the days of TV cameras, and sizzling photo shoots seems a little distant
to Irene Marie now.

"It was shocking especially Irene she's such an icon here on Miami Beach,"
said singer/model Carla Mueller.

Marie is known as one of the pioneers who got international buzz about South Beach.
She also launched the career of supermodel Nikki Taylor.
Now, she is packing up her models' pictures and all the memories.

"It's a very difficult moment," Marie told CBS4 Reporter Natalia Zea,
"I've committed my life, over 25 years to this industry, my career, my models,
my employees, and to close down in this manner is not something I really
would have hoped for."

She says excruciatingly slow business gave her no choice but to close down.
Business was down 80% last month.
Many production companies have gone bankrupt, and European clients who used
to hire Miami's tan talent are now staying abroad.

"This is a real true crisis economically that we're going through in this country.
And I'm a product of that," said Marie.

A lifetime of glamorous and tough work was shut down by a year of slow business.
It's all left Irene Marie uncertain about her own future.

Marie said she had no idea what's next for her.
" I'm just dealing with every day. I'm just taking it day by day now."

Marie is now working with a bankruptcy attorney.
She will open the agency up for a few hours Thursday to give her models a chance
to pick up their photos and to say goodbye.

She says some of her models are very angry, but others she says understand
that this is business, and in this economy business is brutal.

"I just can't believe something like this could happen.
I bet you she tried everything to keep this place open
bc she loves all of us," model Steve Mueller said.
..."
http://cbs4.com/local/marie.model.economy.2.938461.html

Back