police tried to stop ibiza rocks last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlk

No longer active
All change at Ibiza Rocks tonight as this week's two gigs were rolled into one, with The Twang and Dirty Pretty Things sharing headline at the new venue enforced by the last minute antics of the San Antonio authorities.

We've been relocated to an ex-zoo a few kilometres away in the hills at the back of nearby Ses Paisses. Because it's a little hard to find Ibiza Rocks have laid on free coaches from their traditional home, at Bar M on the beach of San Antonio, but the message is equally traditional - the party will go on...

The local police turned up at 10:30 (maybe they got lost like we did?), by which time the gig was well underway, and imposed a fine on the promoter, Ibiza Rocks, but decided against trying to stop the show and invoking the wrath of the hundreds who had turned up to watch these two major indie bands of the moment who, after all, had taken the trouble to come from the UK to entertain us all and brought an army of new tourists (their fans) with them.

Head honcho, Andy McKay, confirmed that all of the remaining Ibiza Rocks gigs for the remainder of the summer would go ahead, but several will be at other outdoor venues in other parts of the island. Kaiser Cheifs and Arctic Monkeys will be at the same venue (not sure if we can say where yet) but other venues have been lined up for the others.

All of those wishing, or already booked, to attend need only go to Bar M before the gig. From there they will be bused to the 'secret' venues.

It would appear that the loser in this crazy scenario will be San Antonio - the winner will be live music in the open air.

It's almost a breath of the sort of fresh air that we used to breathe at the hill parties not so many years ago...

One has to wonder what San Antonio are thinking...
P8223080.jpg

i wouldn't find it strange if all the good promoters weren't back next year...i really don't know what is happening but next summer will be more strict i guess:rolleyes:

presumably, if they were 'good' promoters, they would carefully check that the venue they were using had all the correct licenses and permissions that it needed. it ain't rocket science.

presumably, if they were 'good' promoters, they would carefully check that the venue they were using had all the correct licenses and permissions that it needed. it ain't rocket science.

come on... ;)

*if* every bar, club, restuarant, venue on the island were to be enforced to the letter of the "law" - 99% of every er bar, club, restaurant and venue on the island would be closed....

something has to change because this year shows that arbitrary enforcing of the law is creating very bad blood

exactly

if things continue as they are stephen i guess you may get to find out the answer to the age old question "could ibiza survive without clubbing tourism?"

i rather suspect another case of journalistic exaggeration here to make a spurious point. i'm certain that the vast majority of these establishments are completely within the letter of the "law" as is the case in most other countries in europe. as is also the case in these countries if you don't have the licenses - mrlk, you're british, so you should know how strict the licensing laws there are - you can't carry out your trade.

why should ibiza be any different??

stephen you have a point there but...
as we all know in every country there are some establishments of this kind that don't have the licenses or let's say the correct licenses...however the local authorities in many cases turn a blind eye and let them continue...
in some cases this should happen too in ibiza cause it's an island that its income comes mostly from tourism...
btw i thought that the new venue for ibiza rocks was licensed...

Last edited by a moderator:
come on... ;)

*if* every bar, club, restuarant, venue on the island were to be enforced to the letter of the "law" - 99% of every er bar, club, restaurant and venue on the island would be closed....

something has to change because this year shows that arbitrary enforcing of the law is creating very bad blood

That's exactly the problem though - god knows how many bars/clubs have been breaking the rules over the last years - but i'm pretty sure that they were aware of what they were doing. And it's been going on for years.The local authorities are now making it very clear that they'll not tolerate this any more.I find it hard to feel sorry for the venues as they have been making plenty of money from us over the years - it's the current batch of tourists that are being affected that i feel for.I agree with Stephen that just because they've been getting away with it for so long doesn't make it fine for them to continue that way.One things fo sure, next summer should see a whole lot less closures/problems as this summer has acted as a real warning to promoters/venues.

so if amnesia didn't have the right permits and the authorities said no pasa nada you continue, what do you think all the other discos would do? isn't this an unfair, impractical, and unjust situation??

this isn't the third world, this is western europe.

i continue to agree:p
but...
what makes you think that all the other clubs in ibiza have all the correct licences or are following the law exactly???
isn't this unfair for the others???

well then. if everybody had the correct licenses etc then everyone would be happy.

simple

i maybe british but i left about 9 years ago - i came to ibiza in 98, spent 5 years here, then 4 years on the mainland and came back to ibiza in march

ok, for arguments sake - lets take pacha's licence for example - how many people are they licensed to hold ? or el divino's, or space's or privilege's, or name any bar in the west end owned by the major of san an....

etc etc and it goes on and on

stephen, you're living in a dream world if you think that everyone has the "correct" licence

no one wants to discuss why you can or cant get the "proper licence" - some things are best left unsaid - as someone once said.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i maybe british but i left about 9 years ago - i came to ibiza in 98, spent 5 years here, then 4 years on the mainland and came back to ibiza in march

ok, for arguments sake - lets take pacha's licence for example - how many people are they licensed to hold ? or el divino's, or space's or privilege's, or name any bar in the west end owned by the major of san an....

etc etc and it goes on and on

stephen, you're living in a dream world if you think that everyone has the "correct" licence

i would argue that its harder to police a breach of license on a "numbers in the venue" basis
rather than having the incorrect license to actually open/have the events on that they do

i believe that 95% of our bars and restaurants have the correct licenses. i suspect that the big economic players use their financial clout in some way to circumvent the law.

san antonio's mayor is a lawyer btw, he doesn't own any bars, so maybe his knowledge of the law is a little more than ours on here.

quite why any of this should affect tourism is beyond me. if bar m had the correct license then ibiza rocks would have gone ahead and nobody would be bothered.

all these people need to do is get their paperwork in order, they won't get hassled, and they can continue doing what they're supposed to be doing rather than entering into debates about tolerance, feedom, and so on.

it can't be that difficult - there are loads of brits come out here every year to open bars and go throught the whole paper trail - where's casper slides when you need him. it's a hassle but worth it in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back