Plans for a “NEW” San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think it needs to change as currently west end is shadow of itself. But making it like any other holiday resort might not do what they hope for. €€€ high end tourists.

Reminds me of my home town which had an area "gentrified", it's nice but lost that vibe and less footfall now.

Guess everything goes in cycles.

The gentrification of the sunset strip round where Kanya is was horrible IMO. A move away from a beach bar/party vibe to what?

Looks horrendous. Fortunately I'm long done with San An. Every change they make there just makes the place worse. (It was actually good fun 15 years ago.)

I don't think those blueprints are so bad, but not especially inspired either... the real problem for me seems to be a lack of imagination and ambition. Being stuck in the tacky past. And a chronic lack of cops

I don't think those blueprints are so bad, but not especially inspired either... the real problem for me seems to be a lack of imagination and ambition. Being stuck in the tacky past. And a chronic lack of cops

It looks like the shopping centre in my town. Also, no outside seating?

I think the aesthetics are a red herring tbh - the real issue is sociological - how do you ensure a good mix of ages, nationalities, tastes? Unfortunately, you won't get that until the stigma eases

I like the idea of it. It could however be more Balearic and be constructed using more traditional methods and sabina wood in parts instead of being so clinical. But you can put up a many pergolas as you like, beneath them and at the bottom of that street in particular, crime gangs are allowed to operate freely, robbing victim after victim night after night. Amongst other things. There needs to be a visible, approachable police liaison base set up 7 nights a week for the entire season. Whether its a mobile van unit or a prefab building that can be removed in October, it needs a strong (consistent) presence where they can operate from to patrol there and along the front to drive the sleaze out. There was a Police kiosk due to open this year at s’Arenal I think?

I like the idea of it. It could however be more Balearic and be constructed using more traditional methods and sabina wood in parts instead of being so clinical. But you can put up a many pergolas as you like, beneath them and at the bottom of that street in particular, crime gangs are allowed to operate freely, robbing victim after victim night after night. Amongst other things. There needs to be a visible, approachable police liaison base set up 7 nights a week for the entire season. Whether its a mobile van unit or a prefab building that can be removed in October, it needs a strong (consistent) presence where they can operate from to patrol there and along the front to drive the sleaze out. There was a Police kiosk due to open this year at s’Arenal I think?

Spot on! you won't change the culture until you reduce the crime levels. Last year was the worst ive seen it for Prozzies openly loitering and characters that were so obviously dodgy they were like cartoon villains.

the del mar street (where sgt peppers used to be) won't be affected by the new rules!
it was bound to happen...

... calle del mar, that's where it's at after 3am!
facepalm.gif

more controls in that street, obvs... sniffing dogs included!

https://www.noudiari.es/2018/06/un-...enunciado-por-aforo-ruido-y-permitir-menores/
the ayuntamiento announces next year calle del mar will have to follow the same rules than the nearby streets!

https://www.noudiari.es/2018/11/san...-la-zona-de-proteccion-acustica-del-west-end/
done!

Just got back home on Wednesday, despite my patience for the West End running out about 4/5 years ago, we were dragged up there several times with it being a stag party. All outside seating taken away at midnight, therefore appears a lot quieter.. however the looky lookies and dealers don't appear to have received this memo; We were hounded by more of them than a few years ago, and several bars we went into seemed to have turned into conference rooms for the latter.. empty, other than a table or two of guys sitting texting on cheap Nokias.

Was good to see a few of the more established places still thriving, but the overall picture was of something slowly fading away.

Just got back home on Wednesday, despite my patience for the West End running out about 4/5 years ago, we were dragged up there several times with it being a stag party. All outside seating taken away at midnight, therefore appears a lot quieter.. however the looky lookies and dealers don't appear to have received this memo; We were hounded by more of them than a few years ago, and several bars we went into seemed to have turned into conference rooms for the latter.. empty, other than a table or two of guys sitting texting on cheap Nokias.

Was good to see a few of the more established places still thriving, but the overall picture was of something slowly fading away.
I agree with this. We just got back too....on the first night we had a little wander up there after sunset just to have a look and form an opinion of what it has become. We saw about 6 Guardia walking down from the top in a line, quite intimidating....it also seemed very quiet, subdued, not a fun environment at all. More like a war zone. During the day there are more looky lookies around than tourists it seemed. It just seemed like the fun had been sucked out of it....an under-current of crime and a sinister edge. It wont survive like this in it's current form...either go back to being a bit more 'anything goes' and free like before, lively and noisy....or spruce it up completely and wipe out the crime....

I say every year that I cant believe how blatant certain things are.....

Exactly how I found it in 2018 sadly. As you say the large, well established bars are still doing ok, but the ones that change name every summer have really run-down due to the 'indoors at midnight' rule.

Biggest issue is the lack of Police, we all know dodgy activity goes on but it shoulden't be in peoples faces as it is. Ive also been pestered after saying 'no thanks' to errr services, which isn't good.

I honestly don't care. All the stuff (bar the sunset) San An was built around is slowly being taken away. The stuff that Ibiza Town was built around (mainly Dalt Vila and feeling like you're in Spain, a bit) can't be taken away.

I was in Tossa de Mar yesterday and was struck by how similar the old part is to D'Alt Villa (see also Sitges) - ridiculously nice although more food-based than bars. Then we left on the coastal road and were soon passing through Lloret... different locations, same old debate...

Probably been discussed elsewhere many times but presumably fairly well known that the big car park to the right of Mambo / Mint will likely be turned into an Ushuaia type hotel when planning permission is granted in the next few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back