PIKES

Seemed pretty full to me last night! Really cool venue and much older crowd obviously (Probably 99.9% British). I’d listened to a couple of mixes before signing up to the guest list so knew what to expect and enjoyed the music but I wasn’t too keen on the strobe/flashing lights in there. Don’t tend to notice them so much in bigger venues but with Freddies being so small they just seemed so much more pronounced and stronger. Cocktails were expensive so only had the one!

Seemed pretty full to me last night! Really cool venue and much older crowd obviously (Probably 99.9% British). I’d listened to a couple of mixes before signing up to the guest list so knew what to expect and enjoyed the music but I wasn’t too keen on the strobe/flashing lights in there. Don’t tend to notice them so much in bigger venues but with Freddies being so small they just seemed so much more pronounced and stronger. Cocktails were expensive so only had the one!
Really noticed that too with the strobe overkill on my visit to Pikes earlier this year, never been an issue in 10+ previous visits though, so i had just put it down to that particular night and light tech.

Freddies usually feels much brighter than it did this year, with disco ball being used aplenty, but the visit this year was very very dark and heavy strobe constantly, was quite uncomfortable at times... admittedly i wasnt as intoxicated/on a level as much as other visits, so couldve been a factor. If not the lighting tech needs to dial it down a bit.

I will get to try again in less than 3 wreks time 😎

Really noticed that too with the strobe overkill on my visit to Pikes earlier this year, never been an issue in 10+ previous visits though, so i had just put it down to that particular night and light tech.

Freddies usually feels much brighter than it did this year, with disco ball being used aplenty, but the visit this year was very very dark and heavy strobe constantly, was quite uncomfortable at times... admittedly i wasnt as intoxicated/on a level as much as other visits, so couldve been a factor. If not the lighting tech needs to dial it down a bit.

I will get to try again in less than 3 wreks time 😎

Glad it isn’t just me then, I thought it may have just been a bit of a sensitivity to it. I went in there for a bit and back out, then again half hour or so later. In the end it was a bit much, I liked the music and all but couldn’t hack those lights for too long. I’d had a bit to drink but certainly weren’t drunk, being drunk or on something I think would make it worse.

My guess is the flashing lights are to thwart the camera snappers. Always a challenge for the lighting there. You have to balance getting a dark clubby space with enough mirror ball reflection to give extra visibility to the iconic design features. A singular intermittent strobe is usually enough otherwise it could all go a bit Fantazia…

people sometimes don’t get that the Harvey persona is often a total pisstake of superstar dj bullshit. He turned up at a gig in Barcelona dressed as Evil Knievel ffs. The joke is on the industry. He’s laughing at THEM. Yes he’s very wealthy and lives the LA surfer dream, but at heart he’s still one of us.

very, very spontaneously made it to pikes last night. was on a hike, heard rumours about romy doing a surprise live PA early on, got the rumours confirmed half an hour before she came on and just as we finished the hike. told the wife who's a massive romy fan (I'm not so bothered, but I knew mima would be chuffed), agreed we'd meet on the parking space of pikes and she'd bring me a fresh t-shirt, we got in 10mins after she'd started and seeing my wife's face light up was one of the best moments of my season so far!

we literally only stayed for an hour to see romy and then left as we are both working today, but that was a nice little surprise for a normal weekday's evening!

Looking at going to pikes for the first time next week. Don’t really have a preference for what night. Any recommendations?

Looking at going to pikes for the first time next week. Don’t really have a preference for what night. Any recommendations?
If you still get on the list, then definitely Monday and Wednesday, but the whole week seems to be full of good nights! Although Thursday is Rock Night, it has also been praised a lot!

I'm on for Mercury Rising on 23rd. Pushing out the boat and got a hotel for the night over in San An - cost wise its much of muchness between that and taxi's both ways from Figueretas. This will be much more chilled before and a bolt hole after. Really looking forward to spending the day over there before heading up to Pikes...might even get up to Cala Salada for that sunset. :cool:

I'm on for Mercury Rising on 23rd. Pushing out the boat and got a hotel for the night over in San An - cost wise its much of muchness between that and taxi's both ways from Figueretas. This will be much more chilled before and a bolt hole after. Really looking forward to spending the day over there before heading up to Pikes...might even get up to Cala Salada for that sunset. :cool:
If you’re staying checked in the other hotel and not bringing all your stuff over just make sure to bring your passport (I made this mistake with an overnight trip to formentera)

Absolutely rammed tonight.

Not sure I’m loving the new ‘entrance’ - don’t get that same feeling walking past the posh portaloo’s to get in 😂😂

Back