Phil's Review - Ibiza 2012

a very enjoyable read with my morning coffee!

Thank you for putting the effort into, mixes and pictures really appreciated :)

nice one!:)

Really good read there, makes me wish my trip was closer this year! has also confirmed for me that one year I want to stay in a villa

Amazingly detailed review - one of the best I've ever read in my 10 years of being a Spotlight member!
Rock on! :)

Amazingly detailed review - one of the best I've ever read in my 10 years of being a Spotlight member!
Rock on! :)

High praise indeed.

Today has been my first day back in work since getting back from Ibiza which at times has felt like creeping into the abyss. But this post has turned my day around. So thanks, mate! :)

great review..loved reading this, despite (much like ollienotts) your trance nights not being my thing, you definitely sold your enjoyment/love for trance and kept me reading/enjoying your experience.8)

i'm much more house & techno, with our group when we go to ibiza we will be doing those type nights, i might need to bite the bullet and go with the group to a night that doesn't really suit me music wise (together@amnesia), but i think reading your review emphasises & is a good reminder to me that great clubbing nights / experiences can come about when you don't really expect it, when you dismiss/ignore preconceptions about the music/crowd. and that as long as your there with good people, enjoying it and go with an open mind & with a friendly attitude... good times will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm much more house & techno, with our group when we go to ibiza we will be doing those type nights, i might need to bite the bullet and go with the group to a night that doesn't really suit me music wise (together@amnesia), but i think reading your review emphasises & is a good reminder to me that great clubbing nights / experiences can come about when you don't really expect it, when you dismiss/ignore preconceptions about the music/crowd. and that as long as your there with good people, enjoying it and go with an open mind & with a friendly attitude... good times will follow.

Absolutely, mate. Most of these things are about attitude going in. If it's going to be "the best night of your life" sometimes you overdo it or a slight annoyance becomes something that has "ruined your night". Whereas, sometimes the total reverse is true.

Our bus fiasco before Space this year probably made us more positive by the time we reached the club and we were just grateful our night wasn't completely derailed... 2 hours later you're being bombarded by SvD.

I have a pretty broad taste these days. To me, club music is club music and no matter what genre you can spot the crap from the good stuff. At Pacha, I did have slight mixed feelings. On the one hand, I really enjoyed myself, found the music a nice change - certainly enjoyed it more than some of the others. But then, I did think, f*ck me, this is good but trance blows this out of the water. I know, poor old MG, even tripping his nuts off in happy land, was having those thoughts even more than me.

But it's about diversity for me. A rounded Ibiza experience should be about more than one genre, more than one crowd, more than one nationality... and it's certainly more than being p*ssed out of your mind.

But it's about diversity for me. A rounded Ibiza experience should be about more than one genre, more than one crowd, more than one nationality... and it's certainly more than being p*ssed out of your mind.

Totally agree with you. The group Im going with only listen to trance except one friend so him and I are going to go off and have a couple of non trance nights. As much as I love it I want to hear some different types of music at nights while I'm there.

. To me, club music is club music and no matter what genre you can spot the crap from the good stuff.

Totally agree with you. The group Im going with only listen to trance except one friend so him and I are going to go off and have a couple of non trance nights. As much as I love it I want to hear some different types of music at nights while I'm there.
8) AMEN.

bit of variety/ moderation is key (well to many things:lol:), just listening to the same thing (as much as you love it) negates the experience / overall effect if you just keep hammering it, without sampling other things & giving it a rest from time to time.

i'd say its why music festivals in the UK seem to be so prevalent these days, people flirting about between different genres a lot more, not content with just the same sound...magpie music culture is good, bringing it back round to when it was just all (dance) music.

I've given trance a chance, but, bar the very occasional track (Xpander:twisted:), I just don't get it. :confused:

sasha...i'd still argue was doing progressive house on that tune...or maybe i dont want to admit he was playing trance!:)lol

i'm a bit sore on trance i will admit...irnonically i used to go too & have seen most of the trance guys at Inside Out in the arches/Coloursfest/EH1/parklife etc

remember seeing Ferry Corsten playing a charity night in Karbon for yorkhill childrens hospital (karbon is a small **** /TOWIE/wannbe footballers wife type club in glasgow for those not familiar) and even in a small club...music just wasn't going anywhere,having any impact on me, was just sounding ok, it was just drifting by, taking far too long to get to the break....

the last few years when i was going to Inside Out...AVB /JOC/PVD/SVD or those guys would be in the main arch, i'd get bored and go see the hardcore/hardstyle djs....quite the adrenalin rush...sweatbox for those djs!!

maybe i've just got too short an attention span!

Xpander might not be trance... suits me. ;) :lol:

Inside Out sounds like my worst nightmare, though who knows if the girls/swedgers are good...?

Xpander might not be trance... suits me. ;) :lol:

Inside Out sounds like my worst nightmare, though who knows if the girls/swedgers are good...?
:) IO.. is an experience (they only do a few a year now, when before it was monthly...i personally dont think the younger ones were interested in trance anymore, the numbers weren't there...was really the hardstyle/hardcore/gabber crowd that was keeping the arches busy (and they packed out the smaller arch), it had some amazing (trance/hardstyle) lineups if that was your thing, was always a good laugh, good buzz about it especially at xmas & their halloween party (the double header with the Colours boxinng day party was was worth doing8)

the problem IO started having was folk drifting away from trance, people going to holland / germany doing the Q Dance events / Sensation etc, then coming back with high expectations of what nights should be like...that plus the lack of 'big name' djs they needed to get the crowd in...even the people i knew right into their trance were gettign a bit bored with the bookings as folk like judge jules, JOC etc were playing it 3/4 times year.

it has to be said i've seen some proper fights at it (but again could say the same at the big house nights that Colours promote...seen a terrible incident at Afrojack last eyar...bad one for a couple people that:() ...too much coke rather than pills for the young teams that go, too much bravado / cant handle their drink (its a very young crowd , 18 (ahem) - 25...if your used too / and know how to handle yourself / get along / can speak with people from schemes in glasgow & elsewhere you'll be fine:)lol

lot of towie type girls that go dressed up . make a lot of effort..some very good looking girls... sadly the shine goes off most of them when they start speaking...:oops::oops:

might be worth you going to see for yourself...drop a few pills and get right into some heavy trance.

Costs me a bit to go to Glasgow, so prefer to keep it to nights I'll likely enjoy. Plus, if I know names on the bill, then I know it's going to be more 'age appropriate', which as a gent in his mid 30s, is starting to become important. If it's artists I've never heard of, I assume it's for the kids, and I'm not sure I can be arsed with a crowd of 18 year olds... Never seen a fight at the Arches nights I've been at, but, without wishing to sound snotty or prejudiced (lol), I expect house/techno crowds to a bit better behaved than those at trance/harder nights (maybe because trance is more 'mainstream' & hard has that mentalist boy racer association). :oops:

Again, it returned to the drinking games – Ring Of Fire. From what I remember, there were absolutely no drugs involved, but for some reason I again restored to downing my drinks when there was absolutely no requirement to. A few questionable Michael Jackson impressions later, I was again in bed. What the f*ck was I up to?

I'm in stitches. what is ring of fire?? i need to know! lol:lol:

sasha...i'd still argue was doing progressive house on that tune...or maybe i dont want to admit he was playing trance!:)lol

Oh, how the lines of progressive house and progressive trance blur. I can barely tell them apart at times. I suppose that's the whole point.

As for the rest of the trance debate. To be honest, I've never quite been sucked into the "I don't understand why everyone isn't listening to trance" trap. A lot of trance fans do, believe me. It's got intense emotional overtones that not everyone can stomach.

It's interesting. I think the trance demographic is changing quite rapidly. Being a reasonably high tempo brand of music (not to mention the clubbing nights being quite full on, sweaty affairs) it did have a slight "chav" element - if you can call it that. I think the links with hard dance (which was a lot bigger as a scene in the UK going back) were also a lot stronger too.

You look at trance now - the 130-134 tempo is taking over. A lot of electro and house influences but retaining the more "fluffy" emotional elements. I think it's slowly becoming quite a fashionable, more accessible style of music - not necessarily any better for the purists, but still shifting very quickly. It's growing rapidly in the US, particularly amongst the female population.

As mentioned in the review, I saw an element at Cream that I haven't seen in clubs for ages. Maybe that's because I'm doing more of my clubbing in the south these days. But I still feel trance is less dogged by the "chav" tag than it has been previously. The likes of A&B and Armin have really helped improved the genre's image too.

Back