Pete Tong

well everyone knows him, but have to say I don't think i've ever enjoyed a set of his. Last few years at pacha, have usually gone to see his guests rather than him, he always disappoints.

A few years ago there was Garnier, then tong, garnier destroyed the dancefloor then tongy started playing Beyonce or some crap.. and a couple fo years ago Danny Howells was excellent and tong came on and was so boring I might as well have brought a pillow to Pacha for a sleep!

A few years ago there was Garnier, then tong, garnier destroyed the dancefloor then tongy started playing Beyonce or some crap.. !

i was there for that and remember it vividly. Only could tong follow someone and completly distroy everything the previous dj done.

However garnier was incredible that night.

i was there for that and remember it vividly. Only could tong follow someone and completly distroy everything the previous dj done.

However garnier was incredible that night.

I know... I love garnier... I still remember that night as probably my favourite pacha night actually!

I know... I love garnier... I still remember that night as probably my favourite pacha night actually!

he finished with man with the red face was a "moment" for me.

That and when Sasha once played a few years back are my fav moments. Might have been the same year.

Yeah i think he's rank rotten like great presenter and his guests always upstage him pete tong and paul oakenfold= legends but give it a rest

he finished with man with the red face was a "moment" for me.

That and when Sasha once played a few years back are my fav moments. Might have been the same year.

Yes, I beleive one night was garnier and then sasha shortly before or after that week :confused:

This years Wonderland CD is my CD of the year. He is at his best at the moment and surprised me. Normally rank, but give it a try!

Just curious to know people's opinion on pete tong as a dj?

I'm not a fan of his but he's introduced me (via R1 of course) to a lot of new DJ talent who I probably wouldn't have got the chance to hear in the days before the net, and he presents the Essential Mix which is probably the best show on British Radio.

So as a Radio DJ- excellent. Club DJ- average..

Used to like him a lot, but he can't mix without Ableton :lol: Anyway, I loved when he was running Pure Pacha, sometimes his sets were quite nice'n'deep. But this year when moved to Eden w/ Wonderland, he started to play some crap what I've heard on Eden & recorded live shows.

The first time anyone sees Pete Tong he is rather good. But the novelty soon wears off.

I agree with the Essential Mix comment though. He also knows how to name the tune of the summer!

Respect to the guy. He's in his 40's and he is STILL going STRONG and at the top of his game!!

This years Wonderland CD is my CD of the year. He is at his best at the moment and surprised me. Normally rank, but give it a try!

Totally agree!
Was pleasantly surprised by this. I wouldn't go as far to say it's my CD of the year, but i do like it. Love his radio show always have done, but as far as mixing and playing live goes... nah!

J

Tong meant a lot to me 1991-97 and for that I will always owe gratitude for exposing me to some amazing music. HOWEVER, he has been in gradual decline ever since...

he was never rated for his mixing ability at any time in his career - anyone who thinks he's a decent DJ is probably quite cloth-eared - he matters (mattered?) because of his sterling radio and A&R work, which is legendary and for his pivotal role in spreading the house gospel across the UK - for years, he was THE barometer of what was emerging in our scene across a myriad of genres and for that I salute him

I think he's a decent fella who has championed thousands of unknown artists over the years, but post-2000 is trading on his reputation and an ageing/fading force in the industry

his selections on the radio show comared to 10 (even 5) years previously are, quite frankly, embarrassing and his desperate keeping in with the yoof, smacks of a prolonged mid-life crisis...

I used to write on his forum before it got shut down - he was decent enough to contribute and explain changes at R1 and put people on guesties. I can't knock him - just think it's time to let go.... - Radio 2 awaits!

not great

Saw him last year at Pacha, and after going to amnesia the night before I was totally let down. His set had zero momentum, and I didn't see him look at the crowd or smile once. He wasn't into it, nor was the crowd. The pure pacha CD was pretty good that he and sarah main did last year.

Pete Tong is quite simply a legend in dance music (as opposed to some of these newer dj's some people are touting as being legends:rolleyes:) and a nice guy as well, ive seen him play many times and i can honestly say ive never seen him play a bad set, maybe ive been lucky (every DJ at some time has a stinker)he has done more for dance music than most,with the essential mix bringing dance music to the masses from 1993 and the excellent FFRR label in the 1990's,etc,etc.

Back