Pete Tong

He may be an average as a DJ (playing mostly familiar tunes and his mixing skills aren't the best, unless he uses Abelton), but his huge contributaion to electronic dance music worldwide is un-questionable. and yes he's a legend!

He may be an average as a DJ (playing mostly familiar tunes and his mixing skills aren't the best, unless he uses Abelton), but his huge contributaion to electronic dance music worldwide is un-questionable. and yes he's a legend!

I would pretty much agree with the above.

Wonderland CD is one of this year's best compilations.

I have only ever seen him twice at the Honey Club in Brighton and the first time he was amazing, it was the last Friday before christmas and he played a seriously deep techy house set, absolutely top drawer and kept the dancefloor full from 2-5 when the lights came on!! The second time was last October and it was his first gig after Space closing and he started off a bit minimal whihc generally doesnt work in Brighton but once he got going was a top night again!! Everyone that slates him for being commercial, I have never witnessed when he was played out, even listening to his essential mix from Creamfields, the mixing is spot on [so far] and the tunes are perfect, just really decent house tunes!

he most certainly is not a crap DJ, as ive already stated ive seen him many times (over 10) and i can honestly say ive not heard him play a bad set.

Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is a legend. but the question was what we thought of him as a DJ and personally I don't rate him... I don't think I'm alone.

J

The debate about Pete Tong seems to be going on and on and on.... There will never be a right or wrong answer, just opinions.

As a club DJ I have heard him a good few times over the years. I must say from his mixing on live sets in the mid/late 90s I had heard off Radio One, I was aware that his mixing was a bit shakey... most notably nye at Cream in 97, but he did play on the same bill as Carl Cox, James Barton, and Jose Padilla. These sort of sets really put me off seeing him live, but when I saw him he was better than expected.

However my views were tainted once again hearing him play a closing set on the old Space terrace (poss 2005), and the sound levels were atrocious, which really made him sound worse because there was no real atmosphere. And he finished of with his classic U2. BUT his mixing was 'alright' and tune selection was 'ok'.

I have been listening to him for nearly 15 years, and in my opinion his better years were between 1997-2001. Since then he has far too many CDRs to listen to and the good music may be diluted slightly...!

All in all, he has a lot of good tunes in his armoury, but doesn't always play them. His mixing won't set the world alight, but in my heart of hearts he is a legend on the radio and has good stage presence. May be time to move over in the clubs for the youngblood, but he is a money making machine so I doubt this will happen in the next few seasons.....

The debate about Pete Tong seems to be going on and on and on.... There will never be a right or wrong answer, just opinions.

Voice of reason! Mind you, can't be a good who is the best dj thread. You only have to look at the sh1te coming out that Tiesto was the best dj in the world! Think Tiesto should be in that scarey movie thread!

All in all, he has a lot of good tunes in his armoury, but doesn't always play them. His mixing won't set the world alight, but in my heart of hearts he is a legend on the radio and has good stage presence. May be time to move over in the clubs for the youngblood, but he is a money making machine so I doubt this will happen in the next few seasons.....

True

deadmau 5 made him look an amateur @ wonderland this year one of the bestv sets i've ever heard apart from nu nrg @ cream amnesia 2005

had some great times seeing and listening to tongy 98-01 at various live essential mixes.

i got withdrawal symptoms if i didn't listen to the essential selection.

i miss the friday at 6pm feeling when the show used to start.......*sighs*

I think Pete would be the first to admit he's not the greatest mixer or DJ in the world.
But his enthusiasm and dedication really makes up for that.
He was around my house on Tuesday for my sons 10th birthday party and we had a chat about Eden etc.
He said that he just loves to play to a totally up for it crowd, hands in the air and unpretentious.
He is a down to earth all round nice guy.

I hate him!

Not that I hold grudges :lol: But he literally nearly pushed me over in Space, just because I was in his way :twisted:

I think Pete would be the first to admit he's not the greatest mixer or DJ in the world.
But his enthusiasm and dedication really makes up for that.
He was around my house on Tuesday for my sons 10th birthday party and we had a chat about Eden etc.
He said that he just loves to play to a totally up for it crowd, hands in the air and unpretentious.
He is a down to earth all round nice guy.

and you can't blame him for smelling the money either in moving to eden.

although, i think he may have gained some credit for being a bit more honest about why he left pacha and moved to eden. 60% needed a new challenge and 40% wanted to do his own thing. i mean c'mon tongy!

i really like the guy, like you say, down to earth, easy going, easy to talk to but i thought trying to gloss over the eden switch was a little short sighted.

Back