Perfecto Breaks, Lee Coombs

jamese75

Picked this up on Saturday, after reading about Lee Coombs @ the Perfecto Breaks party recently in London.

His sound was described as acid-house fused with breakbeats, something we've been searching for a while, so I thought I'd check it out.

To me, Perfecto is a bit of a turn off, music I used to listen to, but accept it is rather on the cheese borders.

But this album is really good. It could benefit from some more tweaking and more adventurous beats, but it is a step in the right direction.

At 4 minutes 40-odd seconds, the break in Joey Beltram's 'Energy Flash' is overlaid with the breakbeats of Lee Coombs' 'Rollin', and the whole track comes to life.

And the retro twist of House Syndicate's 'Jam the Mace', mixed with the 1987 release of 'Promised Land' by Joe Smooth brings back some memeories.

It really is a nice album. Well worth a listen.

Hi,

there are more and more breaks albums coming through now. It make a nice change to onslaught of compilation house or trance albums. Albums like the Fabric cds and The James Lavelle GU album are quite revloutionary and ground breaking. I hope it continues. Lets hope for more beakbeat djs, like James Lavelle etc in ibiza, it could be good on the space terrace!!!!

Rob

nice review james, will have to check it out.

as regards space terrace - i agree entirely robo, but to be honest i think it would be too experimental for 90% of the crowd.

remember when armand van helden got booed off the terrace for playing hi hop, and laurent garnier brought the terrace to a complete standstill by playing drum n bass - bloody philistines all of them (the crowd, not the djs ;) )

i think the only way this type of music can flourish, is by starting up at smaller nights, gaining a loyal following and going from there.

just by the by, do you think a non 4 on 4 beat will ever really conquer the dance scene?

(can of worms opened ;) )

I say, yes! Breakbeat is the future. But it's not the music you'd associate with stereotypical breakbeat. It will be a fusion of all kinds of music, just with a less ploddy beat behind.

At the moment, I see 2 types of producers.

The first are into the sound, the atmosphere, the tune. The beat is merely a scaffold onto which they build the 'higher' parts of the tune.

The second concentrate on the beat, the bass. But it is often a darker sound, which ignores the musical influence of the first set.

I want it all. Music which has something for everyone. It's the overall sound we should be looking at.

Hi,

I think that in some parts of ibiza i think the 4/4 beat may not conqour the scene, places like es paradis, and eden did well this year with there garage and drum and bass sessions. However at clubs like amnesia, pacha etc i think it will only be 4/4 house and trance.

I understand that breakbeat needs to start off small, A good example of this is the plump djs playing the backroom of judgement sundays.

Like people have been saying the experimentation is lacking in some clubs, and only house will do, like you said the space terrace and armand van heldan incident.

This could lead to a good discussion so i may start it off in the general chat section.

Rob

james said:
laurent garnier brought the terrace to a complete standstill by playing drum n bass - bloody philistines all of them (the crowd, not the djs ;) )

OI james, people dont go to space to hear d&b. i for one would be one of those philistines mentioned above.

no offence my friend but it does annoy me that talking about breaks music can bring out the snob in music lovers. just coz we dont share the same taste in music dosent't mean diddly.

sorry rusty, no snobbiness intended - i could never listen to a whole afternoon's drum and bass on the terrace :p - but a couple of songs or a half an hour is a welcome change from the norm.

Guys, i need you help... When you say break beats, do you mean dropping the bomb alot instead of slowing building up to the break?

One night inside at SPACE, this DJ, Lazarus, had the crowd going wild by dropping the beat every 20 - 30 seconds. it was amazing. I am getting chills just thinking about it. I want to find more contimplation like that set. i bought the James lavelle the other day. Disc 2 is good (1 sucks!!!) but not exactly banging drop...

Christian2002 said:
Guys, i need you help... When you say break beats, do you mean dropping the bomb alot instead of slowing building up to the break?

One night inside at SPACE, this DJ, Lazarus, had the crowd going wild by dropping the beat every 20 - 30 seconds. it was amazing. I am getting chills just thinking about it. I want to find more contimplation like that set. i bought the James lavelle the other day. Disc 2 is good (1 sucks!!!) but not exactly banging drop...

Breakbeat

Characteristics
Practically any form of music that uses sampled drum loops, usually manipulated and layered with other percussive elements to give a vibrant, clean groove. These grooves are often quite complex and link up very tightly with an accompanying bassline groove to give a very funky, danceable rhythm. This is the basis of breakbeat; other than that, anything goes, making breakbeat one of the most flexible genres of electronic music there is.

Evolution
1991 onwards

Breakbeat Artists
Freestylers, Hybrid, Leftfield

History and Description
Breakbeat originates from 70s soul records, particularly James Brown, whose songs often contained long breakdowns filled with a drum solo. When electronic artists started sampling these drum solos, the term "breakbeat" was born as a simple descriptive term for these samples. Electronic artists were attracted to soul beats because of their irregular rhythm and organic complexity, and in the days when electronic music drum tracks were sparse, breakbeats provided artists with a means of busying up their rhythms to create more exciting grooves.

In the early 1990s, experiments with breakbeats started to gain real momentum as sampling technology started to really come of age. One of the earliest commercial explosions of breakbeat music came in the form of trip hop, spearheaded by seminal artists such as Massive Attack and Tricky, and peaking with the phenomenally successful track "Unfinished Sympathy" (1991). This track was one of the first mainstream releases to fully show off the benefits of breakbeat-based rhythms, and the rest of the 90s saw a number of subsequent explosions of breakbeat into the mainstream, in different shapes and forms. One of the most influential artists to push breakbeat music as a genre on its own was Leftfield with their must-have album, "Leftism". This album explored the possibilities of sampling with breaks and sampling as a whole, pushing the breakbeat further into the foreground of the music and inextricably linking it with electronica. Ever since that marriage was made, breakbeat has charged relentlessly on to mix itself up with all sorts of different genres including rock, jazz, hip hop, pop, ambient and even folk.

What????

You ain't heard this?

Possibly the best dance album ever. It's available in most good shops for about £5/6. Get it!

yeah i know, i'm not normally a fan of the 'letfield' sound but hey i'll give it a go, next time i see it in my local HMV its mine.

robo, it's quality mate, really atmospheric.

ancient now but defo a classic and a must have for any cd collection. a few tracks are always kicking about on adverts and tv programmes, you should recognise a few.

check out storm 3000 on leftism, its an awesome track.
Also song of life is quality
did anyone else see leftfield at rensiassance / privelege in 2000?
best ive ever seen, unbeleivable

Well i have finally got what so many have said is possibly the best dance album ever, and at the moment i aint dissapointed, a bit dissapointed it aint got that guiness track, but still quality album,

cheers guys.

Hi,

just out of interest, for anyone who has the album, what film is track number on, it really can't think but i remember hearing it on some film or programme.

Thanks

Back