party-defining tunes (old and new)

'Falling up' was very much the pinnacle of that mid 00s morning afterparty era where I turned 30 and got a 'second wind' meeting new people via forums, having been disconnected for a long time before that (disillusioned with west/central London). I was into all the big bangers until maybe 2009-10, before I got into the chug scene. I remember there was a big backlash against the really cold and sparse keta/minimal stuff, esp amongst older heads and the likes of ALFOS were born, which still had an eye on Berlin inspired dark soundscapes but the more musical leftside rather than heavy/glitchy pounders (I did often wonder what the younger Weatherall would have made of his older self!) It all dovetailed with the disco/balearic renaissance and what was happening in New York and Norway, and my musical world transformed.

Here's a few that really reflected that change in tempo for me

I remember some of these from your earlier posts. The pieces are coming together : )

As for me I always had a soft spot for disco and psychedelic music, but never really invested in it as a deejay.
Until late 2017 this new Bruxas release came along in the Beatport suggestions:

It's still their best work to this day imo.
It was so refreshing and nothing like anything else I played those days.
Gradually I got more involved. My Balearic and Disco collection grew exponentially over the years, not least thanks to this forum!

Sidenote on the Keith Worthy track: the acid bassline reminds me of this party monster

I often try to squeeze something in from Foolishman when playing out. He didn't produce that much (may have even stopped?) but I love the rawness and psychedelic feel he puts into his music.

Also share your thoughts on the mid 2000s keta/minimal flood.
The coldness of those productions made me shiver more than once.
On the other hand it made rare melodic discoveries all the more pleasing.
Good memories hearing this one in the club during a rather dull minimal set.

Muskat Nuss - Misteek Drive

Subject: Detroit

Another light point those days were Dj Bone and his SD-label.
A decent old school turntablist with a big heart for Motor City and music in general.
He was scheduled early at I Love Techno 2005 in the red room hosted by Dave Clarke, 21:15 till 22:45.
I thought he would take things slowly and introduce some new records from his label, but Mr. Bone had other things in mind.

He started with a little speech.
After a few minutes out of nothing he tore off the roof with these two:
Terry Mitchell - Eat The Meat (Mark Williams Remix)
Jeff Mills - Alarms (Ben Sims Remix 2)

From then on nothing but party monsters.
A lot of well-known tracks, which was rather unusual, but exactly what the time/place needed.
Vibrating atmosphere, people were grasping for air, and the event was barely getting started.
After him D. May took over. He gave it his best shot but he couldn't keep up with the energy levels and the place gradually emptied in search for other thrills.

Thankfully his wife Ahne made an impression video of that night.

ATTACK

Last edited:
Timo Maas was never a big fan of the progressive trance scene because of the drug (ab)use, but the man made some o_Oremixes back in the days

Back