party-defining tunes (old and new)

A lot of decent club tunes are being reanimated these days.
Labels like Mental Groove Records, Mint Condition and 4 To The Floor are bursting with tracks that stood the test of time.
Luckily we have a thread to pour it all into.
Some pickings:

Being - Nine Bars (somewhere in the 90s, previously unreleased)

Force Dimension - 200 FA (1989)

Liquid Son - Tonefloat (1991) -> original demo dates from 1985(!)

Coil - Theme From Gay Man's Guide To Safer Sex (1992)

Microwave Prince - Eternal Light (1995)

Last edited:
Aaaaah... new beginnings... Always in for a proper shakedown, mind/body/community reconnecting...

Speedy J Live @ Pukkelpop 2002
Jochem Paap is one of those performers that got me into harder techno regions.
Young Bahamas just graduated from high school and went to this festival where Speedy was scheduled in the Dance Hall on Sunday afternoon, on a tour with his new Loudboxer album.
Didn't know exactly to expect but was immediately blown away.
Full-on rave techno: relentless beats, hypnotic patterns, no prisoners.

Back home I immediately got to the store for that CD and was very happy to find this live version of Krikc on it:

Takes me back in a good way.
Still like the entire album after all those years.
Not suited for sitdown events.

Always happy to find Planet E thumbnails in here 🪐

'Murder Of The Innocent' is a more recent Carl Craig production which left a big impression on me.

Quite sure Green Velvet doesn't deserve credits for this one. Sounds more like Soha & Carl Craig

I posted a whole load of Carl Craig on here before but can't recall if this was in there. A lot more subtle than his out and out banger remixes but no less deadly. The genius is in how it builds and builds and swirls around your head. When techno collides with traditional black/african music, the result is often amazing. Some DJs are too scared to play it because they fear losing impatient crowds but my response to that is you're playing to the wrong crowds...

I posted a whole load of Carl Craig on here before but can't recall if this was in there. A lot more subtle than his out and out banger remixes but no less deadly. The genius is in how it builds and builds and swirls around your head. When techno collides with traditional black/african music, the result is often amazing. Some DJs are too scared to play it because they fear losing impatient crowds but my response to that is you're playing to the wrong crowds...

Needs pitching up quite a bit too from experience...it ends up going off so not a warm up track per se unless you mix out of it before the big synthy bass bit...the vocal is quite cool to play around with.

This has been a more recent discovery courtesy of Luke Una...

From the same period, this 10" was everywhere.
Heard it at least three times at Tomorrowland that year.
Probably got posted a zillion times in here as well.
Still gets any crowd going.

SUCH A TUNE.

reminds me of an afters in the kave with solomun & dj tennis

From the same period, single-sided 12" limited pressing.

Actually a reissue of a 1995 version that only was to be found on cassette to that day.

Comes with a nice story:

1629373922646.png

'Falling up' was very much the pinnacle of that mid 00s morning afterparty era where I turned 30 and got a 'second wind' meeting new people via forums, having been disconnected for a long time before that (disillusioned with west/central London). I was into all the big bangers until maybe 2009-10, before I got into the chug scene. I remember there was a big backlash against the really cold and sparse keta/minimal stuff, esp amongst older heads and the likes of ALFOS were born, which still had an eye on Berlin inspired dark soundscapes but the more musical leftside rather than heavy/glitchy pounders (I did often wonder what the younger Weatherall would have made of his older self!) It all dovetailed with the disco/balearic renaissance and what was happening in New York and Norway, and my musical world transformed.

Here's a few that really reflected that change in tempo for me

Back