party-defining tunes (old and new)

Me and a mate are like an Irish heller&farley, he can mix better than me even without headphones..:eek:

I always leave it to the pros! In shoreditch, we often had people back to spin. the nightmare is when there's no functioning decks and everyone wants a go on youtube - that kills the buzz

I loved everything Miss Kittin did for a while - caught the tail end of electroclash when I moved East

this was a real afters tune at the Royal Oak sunday parties opposite Columbia Road flower market

and royksopp were ace before they went shit

I think 2000-08 was a magical time for music. lots of people I know were getting bored of 90s house and wanted something else and the internet democratised the whole production process so there were all these new ideas coming out on all these labels DFA, Get Physical, International Deejay Gigolos, Innervisions, Dissident, Compost Black etc etc and London was really exciting again for a while. I think minimal was a disaster though because the drugs changed and producers, djs and punters alike got lazy or lethargic. the whole way of putting on parties shifted to mini-festival formats too and I think that has affected the way people made tunes. i think also the fact that a lot of producers were getting older slowed tempos down a lot, so there was much more room to play with other genres in the mix. where things head next I don't know. there's loads of good music being made - finding it is the hard part..

where things head next I don't know. there's loads of good music being made - finding it is the hard part..

I've taken a bit of a vow this year to go back to basics...no more "track ID" pages on facebook and no nicking tunes from other mixes. Think I've been doing too much of that and its just lazy. From now on it'll just be good clean trawling through discogs and other assorted websites and scouring through new releases. It's too easy to find hard tunes to find and have them identified etc I remember having a tune stuck in my head and sometimes not finding what it was for a few years.

I've taken a bit of a vow this year to go back to basics...no more "track ID" pages on facebook and no nicking tunes from other mixes. Think I've been doing too much of that and its just lazy. From now on it'll just be good clean trawling through discogs and other assorted websites and scouring through new releases. It's too easy to find hard tunes to find and have them identified etc I remember having a tune stuck in my head and sometimes not finding what it was for a few years.

i used to go on all the blog sites to hear new sounds but loads closed down. Good to see 20jazzfunkgreats.com still going strong though. fantastic site

Back