Packing for Ibiza

andivokes said:
I had a real bad stomach the last few days I was there and didnt understand anything on the shelf of the pharmacy as it was all in spanish. Try explaining the the guy behind the counter in no uncertain terms that you "cant go" when there are several groups of people standing behind you who can quite clearly understand what you are saying better than the chemist can!

hmmm... it's good if you can ask for something in English in a pharmacy of Ibiza, but don't expect you are always going to be understood. What about trying to learn some Spanish?? That's one thing I don't understand of some people whose language is English: the false self-sufficiency they believe in when travelling abroad. The Spanish people is not forced to speak English if they're in their own country (although it's very useful to learn English at least), it's more logical and grateful to learn something of the local language instead of complaining. Please take it as an advice.

TigerVlc said:
[That's one thing I don't understand of some people whose language is English: the false self-sufficiency they believe in when travelling abroad

we are lazy...that is the problem..

i hate it as well. other nationalities make the effort to spk our language, so why don't we do the same.

:twisted: :twisted:

:)
No, I don't think you're lazy. I think as English is the first spoken language in the world, many anglo-saxon people trust the fact that it will be enough speaking only English everywhere. So my advice is to try to learn a little of the local language if you're going to mix with the local people.

If you decide to depend on your own language, you can do it indeed, but then complaints don't count.

The problem lies in the fact that we are only taught one or 2 languages in school and it usually isn't spanish. Also the english language lens itself to the more northern european countries like germany e.t.c
we don't fit as well into latin languages.
Its always good to learn a few phrases b4 you go ( the basics )

I always feel kind of ignorant not being able to speak spanish, because a lot of them speak very good english. it would be a lot easier if everyone spoke one language.

Items

:twisted:

What should you bring? Mandatory boots and a helmet for hardcore clubbing. Mace is optional.

dfunky said:
The problem lies in the fact that we are only taught one or 2 languages in school and it usually isn't spanish. Also the english language lens itself to the more northern european countries like germany e.t.c

That problem is even worse in the States. Spanish is the second language there, taught in most states, it's even the second country in the world with people who speak Spanish (more than 40 million people whose family language is Spanish), after Mexico, and before Spain, but when most of them come here (I mean non-hispanic people) they apparently don't know a word, even if they come from California, Texas or Florida ¿¿??.

dfunky said:

I actually found Spanish easier to learn than German in school. Although I did learn French at the same time so often ended up speaking Spanish with a French accent, interesting!

Buenos días. :D

Hola !

I've not packed yet .. I daren't bring the case down from the loft in case the girls get really envious .. I dont wanna rub it in that I`M GOING ON HOLIDAY!

Also haven't packed yet - but I'm starting to organise it all

Got me flippers snorkel n mask out from the loft and suitcase
Got a stereo sorted for the trip
Sorted out my clothes ready to wash tonight
Got all me suntan stuff, toiletries etc....
Started to record some mixes from vinyl to minidisc to belt out at the villa (hope there are no neighbours too near!!!)

guys - don't forget to get an E111 form from the post office for EU Medical care if you don't have one (this in my opinion is Very important - if you need healthcare while you are out there it will cost you lots even if you could claim some back on your travel insurance)

Now if only I could get a decent nights sleep!

glasgow-chick said:
I actually found Spanish easier to learn than German in school. Although I did learn French at the same time so often ended up speaking Spanish with a French accent, interesting!

Buenos días. :D

That's cool!, a british speaking Spanish with French accent, :D ;)

All I know is spanish is the greetings, please n thank you
Where is
How much
and I'll have a beer please!

I know you don't need to speak any spanish really, but even just ordering a drink in a village bar (obviously not in San An really) it is polite to speak the local language.

Yes, could be useful if the Ibiza-spotlight managers published a page with some information on this stuff. :idea:

Stephen, James, do you hear me guys?

Back